General Discussion Race Reports! » Austin's Cactus Challange - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Austin's Cactus Challange - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
47F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 02m 31s
Overall Rank = 112/200
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6am. Already had everything laid out. Put on clothes and ate breakfast. Banana and 1/2 bagel with PB.
Left for race site at 6:30am for 8:30am race start.
Event warmup:

Stretching...wanted to do a run but my feet were like ice. Decided not to push it.
Swim
  • 33m 24s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

First race with bouys spread out to what seemed like as far as the eye could see. Kind of a mental game. I'm use to training at lake where I swim from one side to the other an it's a mile but you don't really see the distance.

My sighting was bad as usual..DEFINITELY need to work on it.
What would you do differently?:

Keep practicing siting.

Maybe get a sleeveless wetsuit in the future.

Surprisingly my pace was right on target with my moderate pace swims. Felt strong and probably was a little faster if I hadn't had such bad sighting and went out of my way.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

Transition from swim out to transition was a long jog. Need to wear my crocks to shuffle into rather than flip flops. FF are too much work to keep on and run in. First race with wetsuit. Went pretty well.

Didn't run with bike due to weird transition area. Right as you left you had to lift your bike over a log.

T1 time was 2nd in my AG.

Need to practice racking bike quickly in different ways..ie. by the seat, bars etc...

Bike
  • 1h 27m 33s
  • 26 miles
  • 17.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was a six mile loop. Congested with both Sprint and Olympic riders. One side was easier than another. Took a sip of gu on each lap...in hind site this is probably because I didn't eat enough at breakfast.
I also underestimated how thirsty I would be after the swim and ran out of water on 4th lap. Didn't push too hard after that in case I really burnt out my run.

Add another bottle of water to bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

I don't do the feet on shoes or jumping off bike. Fell my first tri ever into T2 and haven't taken that leap.

Racking my bike needs help and would reduce my t2 time significantly.

Practice racking w/ coach prior to race.
Run
  • 56m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

It is beyond me how I ran a 9.09 mile. I was in pain this entire run and felt VERY slow. I thought I had a great run earlier this week in training and was disappointed then when I did the milege only to find my pace was a 9 min mile. The two don't equate.

I started my run in zone 4 and stayed there for the whole thing but never let it get too out of control. PRE was out of site.

So over all I'm right on target w/ training even in pain...I guess that's good. Really had to push some deamons today.

The massage I wanted on Sat would have helped I think but that didn't happen. Other than that I really need to take a couple of my runs to the track each month and get out of my comfort zone.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked down to the water and hoped it would take the place of an ice bath. Stayed with friends in Austin so I missed the hotel hot tub.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need to keep building and training. I was on target with all my training to date.

Pleasantly surprised to see I kept all my single workout averages when I put it all together in a Tri. I expected them to drop some. Must be doing something right. Seems like it's time to take it to another level.

Event comments:

At the end of the race they were suppose to hand out ice cold finisher towels and they just handed them out DRY!!! I wasn't very happy and VERY disappointed.
Did not care for the bike loops or the run trail. I probably won't be back.

Last updated: 2007-03-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:24 | 1640 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 114/200
Performance: Average
Suit: 2 pc tri shorts/top w/ wetsuit- lg sleeve
Course: You swim right into the sun for the first 500 yards before turning around for the rest.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:22
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:27:33 | 26 miles | 17.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/16
Overall: 122/200
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Course is a six mile loop in a dog leg. Lots of gradual hills. Nothing too steep or long...just wearing.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:56:27 | 06.21 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 119/200
Performance: Below average
Course: This course was a total trail run. My shoes were not equipped for this kind of running. Very rough terrain. I am not a fan. I will definitely take this into consideration when picking future races.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-16 7:02 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX
Subject: Austin's Cactus Challange - Olympic Distance

2007-04-16 9:10 AM
in reply to: #762568

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Austin's Cactus Challange - Olympic Distance
Nice job
2007-04-16 9:50 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Yeah that bike course gets pretty congested! Sounds like a good day overall. Nice work! Enjoy the rest week!!
2007-04-16 11:03 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
You did awesome! I would have loved those times for an Oly!
Too bad about the course being congested, that makes it hard to get in a rythm.
2007-04-16 6:29 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Wow.  I think you had great times.  I don't know if I'll be able to keep my stand alone times in a tri.  It's awesome that you were able to do that.
2007-04-16 7:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Wow, you did really good!  I can't imagine having to get in and out of the water with the air temps in the 40's.  Brrrrr!  Must have warmed up enough though as the race went on, eh?  Great job putting it all together!

2007-04-16 10:29 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
There's always something to be said about a little adrenaline, too. How cool that even though you dislike trail runs, you still kept up a STRONG pace - good for you, speedy! Sounds like it was chaotic out there with all the loops and 2 distances going at once. But despite all that you pushed through it, battled your mind, worked your body -- know enjoy feeling accomplished, proud, on track and able to REST!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Austin's Cactus Challange - Olympic Distance Rss Feed