Playtri
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 36m 30s
Overall Rank = 21/88
Age Group = 25-29 Women
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 6:00, showered, got into my tri suit, and went down for breakfast. We went to the hotel restaurant and paid $30 for the worst oatmeal I have ever eaten, a few pieces of fruit, a glass of OJ and some coffee. After choking all of that down, we went back up to the room to get our stuff.
We were assigned to a rack in the transition area, so I wasn't too worried about getting a good spot. I found my rack, hung up my bike, set up my towels, and got everything set. I bodyglided myself and ever so gracefully squeezed my red bike into that tiny little wetsuit. It was still really tight around my neck and that freaked me out a little.
Event warmup:

Warm-up consisted of jumping in the water. By the time I got in, it was time to go.
Swim
  • 30m 50s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I jumped in the water before the start and the cold must have triggered the panic attack. I immediately started hyperventilating and couldn't catch my breath. I struggled for the first 100 yds or so but I've dealth with this before. I was able to get my breathing back under control and calm myself down enough to put my face in the water. I pep-talked myself and finally found my rhythm. I abandoned the bilateral breathing and that seemed to help a lot. Once I finally got going, I managed to keep a high stroke count so I could pick up a bit of speed. At the turn-around point, I was feeling pretty good. Toward the end, I started to get a little tired. About 150 yds from the end, the men finally caught up and just plowed over the top of me. Some jerk punched me in the face as he swam over the top of me. Chances are, I passed him on the bike anyway! :)
30th woman out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

I just have to get my nerves under control. I would have killed this swim if I didn't panic. I am not sure how I can keep the panic attacks from happening, but at least I am learning how to control my breathing when it does happen. I didn't get scared this time and that helped a lot. I knew how to handle it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

There really is no excuse for this slow time. They had wetsuit strippers, so that wasn't an issue. It was a bit of a run to get through the transition area, but it wasn't too bad. I had a bit of the disorientation problem, but I expected that.

Go faster.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 11s
  • 22 miles
  • 20.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I did well once I got on the bike. I passed 15 women total, and only allowed 1 to pass me. Actually, we rode together most of the way, cat-and-mousing each other all the way to the end. She came out of the water before me, and I caught her, and passed her. Then she passed me, then I passed her again. She finally got passed me on the final hill and we crossed the finish together (she was ahead of me, but I beat her overall time). We chatted a bit over the course of the ride, and I drooled all over her sweet bike (Guru with Zipps). It was cool to have a woman to ride with and fly past all the men that plowed over the top of me during the swim.
15th woman off the bike.

I could have pushed a little harder... but I am happy with how I did.
Transition 2
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

I have to speed this up too.
I waved to the girl that I rode with and wished her luck on the run. She was out of transition a few seconds before me.

Go faster.
Run
  • 55m 22s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I did way better here than I thought I would. Marathon training sure does help with speed! The run is always pretty uneventful. I got passed by 1 woman, and past a few that I didn't pass on the bike.
The girl that I rode with passed me on her way back up the trail. I waved to her and cheered her on. Cool chick!
I also saw Zac (my hubby) on his way out to the turn around point. We exchanged cheers and kept on.
About half-way, my tummy started to cramp up. I am pretty sure I wasn't getting enough fluids, and that had to have something to do with it. The last mile hurt.

Be sure to get more fluids.
Post race
Warm down:

I got some Accelerade at the finish line, grabbed a bottle of water and waited for Zac to come across the line. I ran into the girl I rode with, again, and chatted with her for a bit. She told me her name, but I can't remember (I am bad about that). We talked about future races and the elites we had seen in the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Panic attack in the water. Wind on the bike. Tummy issues on the run.

Event comments:

I had a great time at this race. I am really glad that we made it down there to do it.

Last updated: 2007-03-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:50 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/11
Overall: 88/88
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra super-tight extra floaty kind
Course: The course was L-shaped. Straight out from the start, then a hard right turn, around the turn-around buoy and back. They started the men behind us, which I wish they wouldn't have done.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:51
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:11 | 22 miles | 20.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/11
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Two-loop course. A little more hilly than I expected, but not a bad ride at all. Every once and a while the wind would come up over the top of the hill and just plow me. My speed would drop to 12-13 mph.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:13
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:22 | 06.5 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/11
Performance: Good
Course: Run along the trail... flat and fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-24 8:49 AM

User image

Subject: Playtri Olympic

2007-04-24 9:15 AM
in reply to: #774185

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: RE: Playtri Olympic

Woohoo!  Good job!  That's great that you did so well on the bike, even with the wind slowing you down!  Too bad about the panic attack on the swim.  I bet next time you'll crush the swim! 

I didn't know your hubby is a triathlete too.  I was kind of surprised that you ate oatmeal before the race.  Is that normal?  It seems like that would feel really heavy in your stomach during the race?

2007-04-24 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Great report Robyn!  You had a great race, but you also learned a lot that will help you in the future!
2007-04-24 10:08 AM

User image

Regina, Saskatchewan
Hey awesome there girl. Sounds like you had a good race and some fun at the same time. Isn't it great when you starting passing.  
2007-04-24 10:20 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I like your description of your wetsuit!  Super-Tight extra floaty thing.  :P

Way to crush them on the bike and way to stay positive through the race.  It was probably the shock of the water that got your system freaked out.  I know I hyperventilated when I swam in San Fran...and it was the first time I had ever done that.

You rock and you will hammer this season.

2007-04-24 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Good job Robyn. You really did great on the bike, now if only you could figure how to squeeze your red bike into that tiny little wetsuit!!

2007-04-24 11:37 AM
in reply to: #774390

User image

Marvarnett - 2007-04-24 10:20 AM

I like your description of your wetsuit!  Super-Tight extra floaty thing.  :P

Way to crush them on the bike and way to stay positive through the race.  It was probably the shock of the water that got your system freaked out.  I know I hyperventilated when I swam in San Fran...and it was the first time I had ever done that.

You rock and you will hammer this season.

Thanks, Dan!  Yeah, that stupid suit was going to kill me.  It was so tight around my neck.  I haven't made the plunge into buying a wetsuit yet, so I figured I would rent one to try it out and see if I liked it.  They don't make those things for girls with a little junk in the trunk!  I couldn't get the dumb thing over my @$$!

2007-04-24 4:56 PM

User image

Regular
Great job this weekend!!!  I'm glad to know someone else panics in the water.  I know exactly what you mean, because it happens to me everytime I get in the water at a race.  Good job with the recovery though.  It's hard to get that breathing under control.
2007-04-25 2:26 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Awesome job. I believe the term for what you did to the course is "beat down", but I'm starting to get old now. So it may have changed.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Olympic Rss Feed