General Discussion Race Reports! » Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Spotsylvania, Virginia
United States
Set-Up, Inc
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 21m 8s
Overall Rank = 167/231
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/27
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast of 1 egg, 1 Clif, fresh berries, 1 cup tea, 1 banana.
Go to race; chip, marking, set up transition, stretch, swim a bit, stretch, swim more.
Event warmup:

Stretching and got in water to check sight line to finish and to warm up water in wetsuit.
Swim
  • 21m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

The results say that I was second in group; but the number one guy DQed or chose duathlon. Likewise with the overall results. As such, I've plugged in here the data as I understand it. I finished first in my age group for the swim and posted the sixth fastest swim overall. Seven of the top 12 times also DQed so I imagine they chose the duathlon. It was cold as ass; air temperature only one degree more than water. I led the wave from about 45 seconds in and felt very strong. On both laps, had slight trouble lining up to bouyies on second segment...the long segment. Breathed every three the whole way. Swam all the way in to the beach...until hands hit sand. "Ice cream headache" during and after swim.
Low angle sun into water...used blue goggles instead of clear: very good decision.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Good run into water. Swam straight to the front and stayed there.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

Thinking that I got the bike into a good gear for uphill start, I had it backward. Nearly killed self trying to get into shoes. Took off wetsuit and other neoprene shirt and then the tri-shirt got rolled up as I tried to put it on.

Swim with tri shirt.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 42s
  • 55 miles
  • 17.49 mile/hr
Comments:

My perinium area is much less sore than in times past. Taped 8 Gu to bike frame...it worked well. I took one every 20 minutes but after three skipped one and after six stopped. Drank every 20 minutes. Attacked the corners.

Better conditioning on the bike...not on a trainer. I was simply outridden. People just kept passing me.
Transition 2
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

No troubles...but not speedy either.

Feel free to actuall run...open up and run instead of doing the "shuffle" out of transition and into the run.
Run
  • 2h 45m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

After 4-5 miles, developed stomach cramps across the top of abdomen. By the time I finished the first lap I was barely able to run more than 6-7 minutes without being slowed to a walk. Painful. Final four miles threatened loss of control...I thought I would crap myself.

Avoid GI cramping. Attack the run...it won't be easy, but I was so intimidated by the distance yet to go when I started to have difficulties, it really weighed on my mind.
Post race
Warm down:

Straight to the bathroom. Stretch. Little food, crackers, water and chicken soup.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

GI Cramps. Head totally out of race by mile six of the run. Poor hill training for the bike.

Event comments:

The volunteers at the end of the run started to bail out too early. There was not enough signage for run/finish, and for the swim/beach areas.

Last updated: 2007-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:30 | 1500 meters | 01m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/27
Overall: 6/231
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit with the shirt of my spring suit underneat
Course: 2 laps of a triangle. Had to run about 30 yards on sand to start second lap.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 53F / 12C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
03:08:42 | 55 miles | 17.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/27
Overall: 164/231
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills around the lake. Two laps.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:45:01 | 13.1 miles | 12m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/27
Overall: 188/231
Performance: Bad
Around mile two to three, I timed a mile in 10:33. I slowed down from there...by the end it was 14 mile pace and major stomach problems.
Course: Mild hills throughout. 4 aid stations. Nothing steep, nothing flat. Two laps.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-25 11:17 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Virginia Triathlon Series - Race #3 Kinetic Half Rss Feed