United States
HFP
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 26s
Overall Rank = 149/162
Age Group = Females
Age Group Rank = 89/101
Pre-race routine:

I'd gotten my race packet the night before, so I donned the nifty long-sleeve tech shirt we got, grabbed a power bar and drove up to Festival Park in Racine. Ate the powerbar as breakfast with some water on the way up. Got my timing chip and hit the restrooms before trying to figure out where the 5k started. There was some minor confusion as the 30k and 1/2 mary started at one point and the 5k started at another, and the 5k start wasn't extremely well marked. But, it all got figured out. People are so quick to complain, though. This is the first year for this event, so there are bound to be some little glitches, but I mean, it's not like they totally focked up anything major. Breathe, people!
Event warmup:

Speed walking from one starting point to another. Moving around to stay warm...we were right by Lake Michigan, which gave off a cool breeze since it was early in the morning.
Run
  • 42m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The start had us going immediately uphill before turning on to Main Street. Started off well, just plodding along. A lady came up beside me and said, "I just hope I can keep up with you!" I have to tell you (and her, which I did) that she'd just made my day. I never thought anyone would ever say anything like that to me, and even though she pulled ahead eventually, it was still probably one of the best things I've heard in awhile. She and I ran side by side til we got over the drawbridge, then she pulled a head and kept going. I hit the 1 mile mark and was astonished to see that my watch said 12:50! That's the fastest I've ever gone, shaving about 1:25 off my normal mile speed. I had to take a number of walk breaks throughout the run, particularly when there was a slight incline, so I knew that I wasn't going to maintain that, but I did maintain under 14 min per mile. Amazing what adrenaline will do! I made sure to thank the volunteers that were out there as well as the police officers who were stopping traffic so we could run through. The last turn before the sprint to the finish line was a little unclear, but there was a police officer to guide the way. It was great to hear "You're almost done...about 3 more blocks and downhill all the way!" Someone for HFP was at the finish line was calling out racer's numbers as they crossed the finish line, so that was kind of cool. Volunteers were there to hand out medals, water and remove timing chips. Scott Erdmann (marketing director of HFP) came up to me (probably did it to everyone) and thanked me for particpating.
What would you do differently?:

Try to not walk as much.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and into Festival Hall to scope out the food stuffs. Grabbed some chips, Oreos, banana and 1/2 a pbj and made my way to a spot to strectch out and chow down. Saw the lady that was pacing with me for a few minutes at the beginning of the race and tried to catch up to her to talk with her, but she was gone before I had a chance.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just my own ability, which in steadily improving.

Event comments:

HFP is a good race organization. Nice swag (ls tech shirt, water bottle, gel samples, etc) and we all got finisher medals (that was cool!). Minus some minor glitches in the beginning, I think this is going to be a good annual event.

Last updated: 2007-03-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:26 | 03.1 miles | 13m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/101
Overall: 0/162
Performance: Good
Course: 1 lap starting at Lake & 6th st turning onto Main Street, through downtown Racine, going over drawbridge and then back off Main Street into some residental areas. Portion of run was on Root River Trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-28 2:23 PM

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: Racine Running Fest 5k

2007-04-29 3:55 AM
in reply to: #779952

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Racine Running Fest 5k
Way to go!! Hope you're really starting to see the progress that you're making!
2007-04-29 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Congrats on a new PR- that is amazing to take that much time off your previous PR.
Glad you are seeing great results
2007-04-29 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Awesome job!! And congrats on that PR!!
2007-04-30 8:33 AM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
EEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW111

another great moment in Donkey History!!

Rockin'
2007-04-30 10:19 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

You go girl!!!!!

PR's are dropping like flies around here.  IMPRESSIVE, especially since you crushed the first mile.  Great work!

2007-04-30 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
WooHoo.....Glad you had a breakthru run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Racine Running Fest 5k Rss Feed