YWCA of Minneapolis
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 50m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

went early to see my other friends who were in a morning heat. That got me excited. Went back home and chilled. I watched House with Alex and packed. I took my time getting there cause check in is 1 hour before hat start. Once we got there, I sorted my stuff- transition from after stuff.
Event warmup:

After sorting, I did some streching in regular clothes. It was nice to be still and quite in my mind and body. I set my transition stuff up and got marked- my number 139! I went to the locker room and weighted myself (side note- left me clothes next to scale- they were they when I came back). I got in the sauna, my normal prayer spot and once again called on the small still voice instead of me.
Swim
  • 16m 18s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

got tired at some point on the first half of the swim. My mind was really trying to get out of the whole thing. glad I overcame that stinking thinking. Was going to do 3 laps of breath stroke and one back stoke, glad I changed to two front and one back.
What would you do differently?:

I would learn how to do the front crawl. I lose alot of time and power not being able to do that stroke.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

did this way better than last time. I dropped mad time and energy this time.

At an indoor,nothing. it was the last amount of time I could spend and get shoes on.
Bike
  • 50m 49s
  • 13 miles
  • 15.35 mile/hr
Comments:

At some point, I realized how wet my shorts were and that running in them was going to suck. I took them off mid bike and had Carrie and Alex get out as much of the water as possiable. I hated biking in my suit only- felt very exposed and naked but I knew it would help the run.

indoor biking- I would not stand at the top of the mile, I think I lost mad time and it do not work like I planned. I would stay seated and try to keep my cadence higher 85-105.
I would have two pair of shorts one of the bike and one for the run. It might add more time but I am willing. I do not want to bike in my swim suit only, I will feel to exposed and what if I fall( inner thigh road rash anyone?)? Also I need some chaff resistance on the run. changing twice once into dry shorts for the bike and another pair for the run is a time lose I am willing to take.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

did this one easy, hoped off bike, grabber dry shorts and walked to the stairs. I learned from last time, running saves time but not breathe.

nothing, I was smooth!
Run
  • 40m 25s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I did great at keeping a steady pace the whole run. I liked how my body was leaning into the run and moved on it's own. Did not have to force or push off to hard, the run was really good in that way. AS we all know I love my kick, it was a nice on. The race director noted I should add kick all the way instead of at the end, I will think about. He noted that coming in early is as good as coming in strong.

nothing, this was a track run so it was personal record. Very similar to my 5k time so no suprises here.
Post race
Warm down:

eat oranges and a bagel. Showered and headed back up to get my certficate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my mind, it wanted to quit as so many points. My heart and my head was not as deep into this race as I was the first time I did it. I feel like this was a mid-semester report before the minnieman outdoor tri. In swimming, I did better than I thought I would for time but I need to prepare for open water swimming when I can not push off the wall. Biking, I need to get out, do some outdoor 13 mile rides with my clips and drop some mad time, I need to get it down by 5-10 min. And in running, I need to learn how to spread my kick out over the length of the race like Tom said. How can I take my running to the next level in terms of speed? So yeah it was good but it also let me know what I need to do.

Event comments:

For an indoor tri it is very strong. Really supported by staff. The swag bag is nice, last time it was a great long sleeve shirt and this time it is a matching hat. They know this, they need to speed up on getting out finishing times/certificates.

Last updated: 2007-03-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:18 | 600 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: red swim suit with sports bra
Course: standard lap pool, nothing special
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:49 | 13 miles | 15.35 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: stationary bike- at he top of every mile I did .25 of the mike at a high resistance, hoping the rest of the mile at a lower resistance would feel like going down hill.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 80
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:40:25 | 03.1 miles | 13m 02s  min/mile
Course: flat track, 18 times around!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-29 7:13 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Subject: YWCA indoor mini tri

2007-04-30 8:08 AM
in reply to: #780708

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: YWCA indoor mini tri
great race, Quiana!  Glad to see the positive attitude!
2007-04-30 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

Great race! Congratulations, Quiana! Sometimes the hardest part is making the body keep going when the mind tells it to stop. I am no good at all for running advice, but swimming I might be able to help with. I highly recommend going to one of the local beaches and trying out the open water swimming as often as possible (once the water is warm enough). I know a lot of people swim at Lake Nokomis, and the MN Tri club hosts group swims at Lac Lavon in Burnsville starting in May (I think).

Good luck and again, great race!

2007-04-30 2:13 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Good job!
2007-05-01 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

Awesome job!!

I hear you on the "not wanting to bike and run in just your suit". I would never do that either, it would make me feel way to uncomfortable to enjoy any of it!!

Keep up the great work

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » YWCA indoor mini tri Rss Feed