St. Anthony's Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 49m 52s
Overall Rank = 3453/3464
Age Group = TnT Male
Age Group Rank = 123/126
Pre-race routine:

Friday - Let's see, Friday morning almost saw me not make the plane for jail (read my blog), but thankfully I wasn't worth the effort :) Picked up pinky and got checked in for the race once we got there. Hung out at the expo for a little bit. Dinner was great though! I got to meet a PILE of BT'ers from all over. Met Sue and Shaun first. Shaun reminds me of a Tron era Jeff Bridges :) Everyone was great!! Got to have some sushi with Kathy and Janice and their hubbies. Everyone met back up after dinner. It's been a long time since I've laughed that hard for that long. It felt really good.

Saturday - Mostly lots of hanging around. TnT pasta party. I'm not sure how many more of these I can go to. While it's a beautiful experience, I really tend to get resentful when I see survivors when Jen didn't make it. I really don't like feeling like that, so maybe I'll just skip the pasta parties from now on...

Sunday - Got up at the butt crack of dawn to set up transition area. Walked back to the hotel for some breakfast and then headed back down to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Watched the pro's start. Watched my TnT peeps start. Got a chance to see off a bunch of BT'ers as well. About half an hour before my wave was set to start, Matt Reed finished the race. 1:46 and change - WTF? That's just sick. Swim in the ocean, float, hang out, stay cool as the sun started getting warm. While waiting to start my swim, I saw a number of people get pulled out of the water by the Jet Ski lifeguards. I learned this afternoon (Friday) that one of them didn't survive :( *sucks*
Swim
  • 42m 24s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Took my time getting my rhythm down. Made it to the first turn in 12 minutes! About halfway across the back side of the square, it felt like I was going out to sea a little bit as I was swimming. Swimming in a straight line is one thing I can do, so I didn't think too much about it. Even glided on a few breaths to thank the safety 'yakers that I swam past. Made the last turn and realised that there was a little bit of current. All I wanted was to come in around 40 minutes and be out of T1 at 45 minutes. A little long on the swim, but I ended up getting out of the water in 41 minute and then a short walk to transition. New swim Personal Record (PR)!!!!
What would you do differently?:

No much, maybe go a little harder, but I did set a PR...
Transition 1
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

Good transition. I took my time to not forget anything.

Not much.
Bike
  • 1h 49m 47s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 13.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off on a briliant note - I didn't open the velcro on my shoes and spent most of the first mile fighting with them to get my feet in and strapped up... Oh well, no worries. Felt good keeping my speed going through the turns and curves. Had the spedometer between 18 and 22 mph most of the time with my power between 150 and 200 watts. Was feeling really good about my pace and was on track to do the bike in 1:15 - another Oly PR! Well, that changed around mile 15. Turned into a nice headwind and some sun and pretty much cooked for about 10 minutes and that was it for me. I've grown to tolerate heat well, just not direct sun. I've never been able to tolerate it at all. It took me over an hour to ride the last 10 miles. I even stopped for a couple of minutes around mile 20 because I was getting a little woozy. It sucks to look down at the powermeter and see 200 watts for a lousy 11 mph. Couldn't even get my heart rate above 160. Blech. I took my feet out of my shoes about two miles from transition to cool them off a little and just sat up for the last four miles or so. I spent the last 10 minutes convincing myself that all I had to do was come in to transition, change into my running stuff and get out of transition onto the run course. I could quit any time I wanted after that, but I was at least going to get out on the run course...

Not blow up? I guess only do races above the Mason-Dixon line until August, then only race North of the US/Canadian border until November...
Transition 2
  • 04m 52s
Comments:

I sat down after racking my bike to put on some socks and my running shoes. I had a fresh shirt for the run and put it on. Got my race belt and headed out. Well, to be honest, after sitting there for a few minutes I really had to push myself to move. At that point I wanted nothing more than to lay down and quit. I've never felt like that in a tri before and I didn't like it. A little bit of self-inflicted verbal abuse and I was on my way out onto the run course :)

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 09m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 20m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked shuffled out of T2 determined to walk as much of the course as I could. If they closed the course and pulled me, then so be it, but I was going to do everything I could to get back to the finish line. I ran into Coach Joe coming out of transition and told him that I felt like crap (bad headache at this point and feeling warm and nauseated), but I was going to walk until they pulled me. He agreed that I would hate myself if I quit, so that was settled - I'm walking. Walking out of transition, there were a bunch of purple people cheering me on and telling me that I looked great. Seriously? Don't BS me, please. I felt like crap and looked like hell (after the race I realised that I was coated with salt - no wonder it hurt to wipe my brow). Actually it was kind of embarrassing to have people cheering for me when I was doing so poorly. Plus, the yelling and cowbelling was doing wonders for my headache. About half a mile later I hear someone calling me. It's Coach Joe! "Seriously dude, you don't need to walk with me. I'll be back in a couple of hours :)" "Well, I've got nothing else to do, so I'll just go for a stroll." I appreciated that he didn't try to pace me, cause that would have been cheating ;) I dumped water on my head and drank a swig of Gatorade at each aid station. Coach Joe picked up a can of diet Coke for me from one of the families spectating the race. Not one to break the rules, I wouldn't take it from him. Although once he sat it down at the aid station table and I had a race volunteer touch it, it was mine all mine! Made it to the turn around with a nice stitch in my side. Not sure if it was from walking, or laughing at Coach Joe quote movies (he does a great Napoleon Dynamite), but I was feeling tolerably coming back to the aid station before mile four. They were starting to clean up and I saw a couple of pieces of pizza that they were about to throw out. "Hey, you aren't going to throw that out are you??" Score!! Coach and I both got a slice of cheese pizza. That was the best tasting slice I've ever had :) And, it only took Joe a mile to talk me out of trying to develop pizza flavored gel in my kitchen upon my return home... Anywho, the caffeine and the pizza perked me right up and I actually managed to pick up the pace a wee bit and pass someone. Holy S#!t, I passed someone on the run?!?!?! COOL! Well, that lasted until mile five. I choked on a bit of the pizza crust and started coughing. The coughing brought my headache back in full force and that was about it. Every footfall made my head hurt even more. Stupid happy cheering people... QUIET DOWN, MY HEAD HURTS!! *ouch, no yelling Frank* :) About halfway through mile five, a couple more of my TnT peeps found me and we all walked it back together. I managed to make it back feeling a little better and when I saw the finish line, I cast off my bottle of Gatorade (one benefit of being slow is that they give you the whole bottle to carry instead of the little cup thing) into a trash can the size of a large Yugoslavian automobile (nothing but net) and ran across the finish line. I've run, log rolled, crawled, limped and cartwheeled across finish lines, but never walked and I wasn't to start today. Whew! I really don't remember crossing the finish line, but I remember sitting down to take off my timing chip and getting my medal. My honored teammate Ryan is going to have quite a collection of finishers medals this year :)

Quit? Not cook myself on the bike? Who knows...
Post race
Warm down:

Sit in a chair in the shade of the TnT tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I got cooked from the heat. I guess this was probably on of my worst races ever performance-wise, but I'm really happy that I didn't quit. I gave myself two hours for a pity party and then set the task of feeling good about my accomplishment. I helped raise some money for a good cause (St. A's TnT'er raised 2.1 million dollars this year - yep, that's million) and finished a race even when I didn't feel like it or want to. *sigh* Good stuff!

Last updated: 2006-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:24 | 1640 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 117/126
Overall: 0/3464
Performance: Good
Suit: tritop and shorts
Course: Out, across and back course in the bay. No big waves, but a little bit of current started up about halfway through.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:49:47 | 24.85 miles | 13.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 125/126
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course: Flat course with a bunch of turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:09:38 | 06.21 miles | 20m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 123/126
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat, sunny, hot, soul killing run course. Oh yeah, and it's out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-04 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon - 2007

2007-05-04 8:26 PM
in reply to: #789525

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon - 2007

St. A's, more than any race on the schedule, is about the people.  You finished the race, but you also enriched the people....the TNT'ers, the BT'ers, and everyone around you.  Congratulations on your race, including lighting up St. Petersburg and the BT'ers you met on this weekend.  Color me impressed, and in the fan club.   

And you're the bomb.  

2007-05-04 8:59 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Way to stick with it Frank.  It would have been so easy to give up but you crossed that line!  Ryan will be very proud of you

2007-05-04 10:20 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Frank, meeting you this past weekend was a highlight for me.

You have helped me, inspired me, encouraged me when I was new and so fearful of swimming....1045 yds and look we did .93 of a mile in the ocean with all those icky things!

Your determination to finish and do your best under tough circumstances is one of your many wonderful traits we all love.

It sure was hot which is hard on all of us used to training in the 40's and 50's which makes PR's tough...but you did it on the swim!

Thanks for coming, raising money to help Ryan and many others, and just being you!

You rock Frank!

Edited by KathyG 2007-05-04 10:21 PM
2007-05-05 6:22 AM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

Frank-  It was such a pleasure to finally meet you in person!!  You are an inspiration everyday with the courage you show, and there are a lot of people who look up to you!! You gave it all you had on that course, and you completed the task!!  Congrats on a tough race and I hope to see you again next year!!

2007-05-05 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Frank, congrats on the swim PR and for finishing your race.  The heat can be hard if your not used to it.

It was GREAT meeting you, finally!  Really enjoyed dinner on Friday and I can't thank you enough for the hug and kiss before my wave went off.  You are one awedome dood.

Come down to Florida and play - we've got some excellent reef dives here on the East coast. 

2007-05-05 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL

I'm so proud of you for finishing the race Frank.  I know how it feels when you're hurting out there... and when its hot like that.  But you did it. 

Kathy is right... you're the bomb! 

2007-05-10 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Way to stick it our Frank. Its just a cater training day for canada anyway!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon - 2007 Rss Feed