Pickle Events
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 27s
Overall Rank = 90/168
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

Woke-up at 6:00 (with the alarm clock, my phone, AND a wake-up call), ate yogurt & granola, a banana, cheese stick & gatorade, packed up, and headed to the school. I set up my transition area, talked with David (B-One), and then met up with Aaron (paddle2paddle) and Travis (tmvolk00). I snacked some more and was surprisingly calm...
Event warmup:

Rode long enough to run through my gears & know it was cold & windy.
Swim
  • 12m 39s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt really good on the swim and came out exactly where I expected. This swim was a minute faster than I did in this race a year ago. I was relaxed the whole way and just focused on my arm pull and streamline out of the walls. Having David count for me was terrific. I could hear his voice on every turn and I didn't have to think about how much more I had to go - I just swam.
What would you do differently?:

For this race, not much. I need to continue to improve my swim technique and get higher in the water, but I'm pleased overall with the improvement I made over the winter.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

This transition was faster than some I've had, but I still fumbled too much. Wet feet & socks are a problem, and my gloves were tangled on my fingers. When I reached the mounting line, I could not get my feet clipped in - it was crazy! I was across the road before I got my first foot in and that's really odd for me.

Learn to ride without socks. Practice transitions more. Figure out how to get gloves on more smoothly.
Bike
  • 41m 10s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

The first half of the bike was tough with a lot of wind. At one point I was in a crosswind and was seriously leaning. If the wind had died down at that point I think I would have fallen over! I was frustrated with the first half because I was working hard but seemed to be going nowhere! I was passing other riders, though, so I kept my focus on each new person in front of me and kept at it. The second half of the ride had a nice tailwind. That made up for the first half. I was obsessing about my time because I wanted to beat last year's time - and I did. I also noticed that I was really relaxed on my bike. I never had to tell myself to breathe and relax - I already was! It felt good.

I probably could have pushed it a little harder, but I was feeling so strong that I didn't want to blow it on my first race of the year!
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

My first ever transition under a minute. :)
Run
  • 27m 2s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt surprisingly good off the bike and just ran. I was paying attention to my time because I knew by then that I could beat last year's time. I heard feel behind me a couple of times and I found some determination to not let them pass me. One woman did pass me right before the finish. She came flying out of nowhere...

Not much in this race, but I definitely need to learn to run faster. When I look at the finish times, my bike time is right there, but it's in the run where I lose the most time.
Post race
Warm down:

Went in to see if David needed me to count laps for him - he didn't, so I watched a bit and then went to clean up my gear and myself. Shortly after I went back in the building, the sky opened and the rain poured. I stood under the front entry of the school and watched the final men's heat come in through the rain. I was really glad I finished before the rain came! I visited with the woman who won my age group for while, and after everyone had finished, I met up with David & Travis for the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am really pleased with this race. I dropped 3:32 from last year, AND finished 3rd in my age group. How cool is that? Last year I am quite certain that I peaked at this race. I am confident I'm not there yet, so to go out and race this well today is a great confidence builder!

Event comments:

I love this race. It's small and for an early season race it's just right. Not a lot of bells & whistles, but the company made up for that!

Last updated: 2007-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:39 | 600 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 0/168
Performance: Good
Suit: zoot tri tank & shorts
Course: pool swim with four of us in the lane
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:41:10 | 13 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/14
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: A loop of sorts, mostly on the road, with part on a paved bike trail.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:02 | 03 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/14
Course: First half down the street to a paved path. At the turn around, it returns briefly on the path to a short hill that ended with an eight foot stretch of mud (and it hadn't even rained yet when I was there!). The course then turns through some city streets to a dirt & grass path up a hill at the back of the school. It was a little slippery in the mud at times.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-05 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Subject: Chain of Lakes Triathlon

2007-05-05 7:57 PM
in reply to: #790085

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Chain of Lakes Triathlon
Dropping three and a half minutes is great. Congratulations too, on medaling! It was nice to meet you. I'm sure I'll see you around.
2007-05-05 8:43 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Great job!  Medaling in the first race of the year - it doesn't get much better than that!  You're off to a great start!
2007-05-05 9:21 PM

User image

Minneapolis
GREAT JOB- WAY TO WORK IT!!BGT
2007-05-05 11:25 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Dropping 3 minutes, t2 under a minute, 3rd in AG,  sounds like a very successful day for someone building for a strong year.  Keep it up!
2007-05-06 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Did you find a nice place for your plaque yet!

Your bike time was very impressive considering that wind. Remember that everyone has to deal with the wind. Look at your overall performance rather than your performance on any given section. Concentrate more on your cadence and HR (or perceived effort) and forget speed when biking in the wind. Learn to love the wind, because everyone else hates it. This can be a great psychological advantgage.

Dropping over 3 minutes is quite impressive. Were did you make your gains?

2007-05-06 8:38 AM
in reply to: #790287

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN

B-One - 2007-05-06 7:38 AM  Dropping over 3 minutes is quite impressive. Were did you make your gains?

I made my gains exactly where I was hoping to, which made the day even sweeter.  I droppeda minute in the swim, a minute in the run, and almost a minute & a half in transitions.

2007-05-06 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Nice to see hard work paying off!
2007-05-07 9:02 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Kris, awesome race.  3rd in AG, that's great!  Also that's some pretty stellar speed for how windy it was this weekend.  Congrats on a great race.  See you at Minneman...
2007-05-08 10:35 AM
in reply to: #791087

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Kris - great job! What a way to start the season.
2007-05-08 11:01 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
AWESOME JOB!!!!! you are a rock star!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chain of Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed