Ironhead
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 56s
Overall Rank = 25/217
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/31
Pre-race routine:

Was in bed last night at 9:00pm. I had a hard time finding something on the TV to fall asleep to, so I probably didn't fall asleep until 9:30ish. I had the alarm set for 4:00am and actually got out of bed before I hit the snooze button a second time. I did the almond butter sandwich, packed up my stuff, checked my list twice, and was off at 5:00am. I got to the race site at 5:30am, took two electrolytes and two enzymes and went to set up my transition.
Event warmup:

By the time I got my transition set up and socialized, I only had time for a 100 yard swim.
Swim
  • 05m 34s
  • 274 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had my Tempo Trainer set for 1.20(CAD=50). This the highest I have ever placed in the swim. I ended up getting seeded perfectly. The person ahead of me never slowed me down and no one passed me. I had clean water the entire swim and never had any problems with getting a mouth full of water from the chop.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

We had a longer than usual run to the transition area. Everyone's actual swim time would have been from 20-30 seconds faster. I decided to not wear socks since this was a Sprint. I had a little harder time getting my shoes on but everything went pretty well. I ran with the bike to the line and jumped on while in motion. I got both shoes clipped in right away. Usually, I have at least one slip.

Ideally I would have had the end spot on the rack. That way I would have had something more secure to hang onto while putting on my shoes.
Bike
  • 45m 27s
  • 15.3 miles
  • 20.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to keep my HR below 157 and keep my cadence between 95-100. I had one person pass me early on, but that was it. The actual ride was pretty uneventful other than the road conditions. The roads were fairly rough and you really had to pay attention to avoid any hazardous spots. On a few hills my HR got above 157, but other than that, I kept it right were I wanted.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Since I wasn't wearing socks, I had to run a little more gingerly through the parking lot. There were a lot of pebbles there. I didn't realize my shoes would be so much harder to put on without socks. I one point I just had to tell myself to calm down and stop trying to force the shoes on.

After the race someone suggested using baby powder in the shoes. I will have to try that next time.
Run
  • 23m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I had my Tempo Trainer set at 0.67(CAD=90). My plan was to keep my HR at 160 for the first half then just go as hard as I could for the second half. It took me a full mile to feel even remotely comfortable. My breathing was off, my strides felt really short, and I did not feel like I was going very fast. But, I figured I was doing OK since I was passing people and no one was passing me. The half way point was not marked so I decided to wait until the 2 mile mark to increase the pace. From mile 1 to 2, I started feeling much better about my breathing and stride. After the mile 2 marker, I started to increase the pace. It was easy to do because a lot of the last mile was slightly downhill. The last tenth I put it in full sprint mode. I was extremely surprised when I saw my run time. I thought I would be lucky to break 8 min/mile. This run ended up being my highest placing of any race.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Gatorade, banana, cheese tortillini, and hanging out with other BTers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am very pleased with my results. I almost made the top 10% overall. I guess I could have pushed harder because I never felt like I was "dying" out there. However, I am not interested in pushing myself that hard. I think I am right were I should be considering my time in the sport. I really like coming up with a pre-race game plan and sticking to it. I just need more training and the times will drop.

Event comments:

I wish the bike ride would have been on better roads. Other than that, it was a well run event.

Last updated: 2007-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:34 | 274 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/31
Overall: 58/217
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Unitard
Course: Pool swim. 6 laps.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:27 | 15.3 miles | 20.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/31
Overall: 23/217
Wind: None
Course: Rolling country roads on the east side of McKinney.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:12 | 03.11 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/31
Overall: 44/217
I forgot to hit my lap button so my HR data is for the entire race. Ave HR = 152, Max HR = 168
Course: Loop through the parking lot, over the grass, to the concrete trail, to the city streets, back to the concrete trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-20 7:06 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: Tri-Historic McKinney

2007-05-20 8:23 PM
in reply to: #808844

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Tri-Historic McKinney
Hey, I fall asleep to the TV too! I'm sure it's not that uncommon... but I love doing it.

Your swim was faster than usual... eh? Happy to hear it!

Fast bike out there! Sorry to hear about the roads, but at least you knew about it by checking them out beforehand.

The run... WOW! Speed demon on the run! Great job!

Baby powder in the shoes? Should work... as long as your feet are DRY! If your feet aren't dry you will have a paste in your shoes. Yuck.

Overall, amazing race!
2007-05-20 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

Great race!!!  Glad you had such a positive pool swim experience, I'm sure it was nice to start out with such a strong first leg.  Your bike was great, and your run was very strong.  Sounds like you had a spot-on race!  Congrats!

2007-05-20 9:50 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Impressive race!  Congrats on a strong outing.  Looks like you really had a great plan and performed it well.
2007-05-21 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Nice Work!!!!

Keep up the training and you'll be unstopable.

2007-05-21 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Excellent race, Craig! You had a solid race all the way through- fast! It was great getting to see and chat with you again!

2007-05-21 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Great to see you again, Craig.  Good job on the race and sticking to your pacing.  Fantastic run!  You're not alone there... it took about the first mile before I started feeling comfortable on the run, too.
2007-05-22 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job Craig! You had a very solid and impressive race! It was nice to meet you on Sunday.

I've never put baby powder directly in my shoes, but I do put it in my socks. My wet feet slide right in and I have never experienced paste from it. Plus it gives your feet a nice baby-fresh scent!
2007-05-22 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Great job Craig!  Amazing that it only took you 10 seconds to make up the 100 yards when I saw you at the water stop.  Well, 10 seconds maybe exaggerating, but dang you're fast!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Historic McKinney Rss Feed