Reebok
54F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 2s
Overall Rank = 65/383
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 4/21
Pre-race routine:

We got up so early it was late! 4 am, ate a bowl of cheerios with sliced bananas, filled the gatorade and water bottles then strapped the bikes to the car. Jasmine and I had some jittery chats amongst spells of silent concentration on the 30 min drive to the venue. Arrival was greeted by people with big markers telling us to strip, number 477. We were a couple racks away from Michellie Jones, who acted like she's done this before ; ) , so I just copied her. Laid out my american flag towel (easy to recognize) and set up my gear.
Event warmup:

A jog to the swim out and back to the transition area was our warm-up. A bit of stretching, taking off of the pants and shirt (putting the shirt back on because it was so cold) and then over to the beach to await the race kick-off. The national anthem was a nice touch to warm us up, make us forget about the cold and remember all those who are sacrificing their time and lives to give us the great country we live in. Jasmine and I hugged for emotional support (and maybe to share body warmth) before head out on the dock.
Swim
  • 18m 23s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 27s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt rushed to jump off the dock, surface then "GO!". Tried to go on the outside of the pack and went a bit off course, but got back in line and into a good rhythm.
What would you do differently?:

I would have liked to warm-up and I would concentrate on breathing slower. I also need to practice sighting more quickly and keep swimming even if I can't find the buoy on the first try.
Transition 1
  • 03m 30s
Comments:

I made it through the swim woo hooo!!! That was all that was going on in my head on the jog back to the transition area. It was nice to see some familiar faces.

My shirt was kind of hard to put on while I was wet. I just dealt with it.
Bike
  • 41m 20s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.42 mile/hr
Comments:

The point of turn around to head out on the second lap I had to completely stop for a while to avoid cross traffic. Would have been nice to have a merging lane. I felt like I was doing well, especially with gear changes and climbing the hills standing. I was greatful for my wristband which I renamed my "snot-pad".

I would use all my bigger gears to gain more speed on the downhills. I should also drink more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

I had to blow my nose from the cold bike ride, but it didn't slow me down too much.

Nothing
Run
  • 37m 17s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I expected this to be my the worst leg for me, but I felt very confident and powerful through the whole thing. No problems with my knee or cramping. I took on those hills and used the spectators cheering to go faster. I got into the "zone", staying at a steady pace, and thought about all the donors who I was representing and the good cause we were out there to support. I tried to send Jasmine some good vibes to get her through it and coming up on the finish line was the most exciting part. I sprinted across with everyone cheering and busted out laughing because the announcer pronounced my last name wrong. The first person I saw was Ellen, she took off my timing chip and I couldn't stop smiling. I did it!!!

My splits didn't sound accurate to me 8:10, 8:49, 9:18 and 11:00, but if they were, I would try to have negative splits.
Post race
Warm down:

I went straight over to the run course to watch for Jasmine come around the corner. I did a little streatching and drank some water. The screamed my brains out to cheer Jas on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was maybe too timid on the swim and the wet road conditions of the bike probably slowed me down.

Event comments:

Haha, well I can say it's the best race because it's the first and only one!! But actually, I think I couldn't have asked for a better first race. Everything seemed to go just as I had envisioned. I was very challenged by this course, but I performed right up to my ability and then adreniline took me a little farther. I will never forget the wonderful experience I had with my friend Jasmine and I am so glad I could help raise over $1400 for the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund in the process. Being able to race and represent everyone who donated and who have been affect by this disease was an honor.

Last updated: 2004-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:23 | 750 meters | 02m 27s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/21
Overall: 110/383
Performance: Average
Suit: speedo top and tri shorts
Course: Triangle course around Steel Lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:20 | 12 miles | 17.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/21
Overall: 99/383
Wind: Little
Course: Out with two loops around Weyerheuser tree forest. Lots of rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:17 | 04 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/21
Overall: 93/383
Performance: Good
Course: Two laps around a rolling hills course with a zig-zag trail and "cardiac hill".
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-09-13 6:56 PM

User image

Seattle, WA
Subject: Reebok Women's Triathlon

2004-09-13 7:20 PM
in reply to: #61085

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Reebok Women's Triathlon
Steph, I can't say enough about ya! I was glad to have spilled blood, sweat, and tears in the pool/lake, on the road, and running on those trails with you. It's been an emotional ride these past 3 months, and I am glad that I could have gone through it with you. At times, you were my crutch! I am so proud of you! You performed right to par, had an almost perfect race, and I'm ecstatic at your performance!!! The best part of the race was seeing you on the course...in T1 and crossing you on the bike. :-) I love you to pieces.

Ready for #2...? :-)
2004-09-13 8:46 PM

90 miles south of Titletown, USA
Congratulations on your first tri! That's a great time for your first one.
2004-09-13 11:35 PM

User image

Hey Stephanie! Great race, what an awesome first tri! Any more this year? I hope that I will see you and Jasmine at other tris next year.
2004-09-13 11:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
congrats on a great race! i love the support you and jasmine give to one another. it's truly admirable!
2004-09-14 1:04 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Fantastic!!!!  What a finish for your first Tri!  You'll be winning 'em if you keep it up.  Congrats on the race and the fund-raising

2004-09-14 5:10 PM
in reply to: #61214

User image

Seattle, WA
Hey thanks for the support everyone! Michele, it was cool to see you after the race on Sunday. Wasn't it sweet to be racing with Michellie Jones? Jasmine and I are going to do one last one this season in Enumclaw, the Black Diamond sprint tri. Then it's off season training... what are you going to be working on? Anyway, take care!
Steph
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reebok Women's Triathlon Rss Feed