Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

had some breakfast, loaded the girls in the burley
Event warmup:

biked over to the event start (about 2-3 miles)
Bike
  • 00m
  • 30 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Post race
Event comments:

well, we just got back from the 10th annual st. paul bike classic (http://www.spnec.org/bike_classic). a 15 or 30 mile ride around st. paul. not a race (or so i had to keep reminding myself), just a laid back ride. we opted for the 30 mile route since we had just done 50 with the girls a few weeks ago and knew they could stand being in the burley for a while. the ride itself is very beautiful, going along the river for quite a ways, twisting up to lake phalen and lake como, and ending back at st. thomas along summit ave. lots of rest stops with food, lemonade, water, coffee, music. schwag included aveda lip balm and foot massage lotion!

it was also exciting because it was the inaugural ride for both my new road bike and bill's 'new to him' single speed old school raleigh. we made quite the pair, let me tell ya! bill took the burley for the first 10 miles so i could play with my new bike a bit. i felt like all i needed to do was rest my foot on the pedal and i would glide along at about 15+ mph. if i really tried, i got past 20 mph with minimal effort. just a wonderful bike. no effort. well, no effort until the burley was handed over. after 10 miles of zipping along, my neck was getting strained looking over my shoulder trying to find my family. so, i took the burley just to even things out. bill is a VERY strong rider, but he's still getting used to the single speed thing and also isn't used to pulling the burley (which is about 100+ lbs of drag between the burley itself, the two girls, diaper bag, snacks, water bottles, kitchen sink, etc.). i've had the whole summer as burley puller, not to mention the fancy schmancy new bike.

of course, the last 20 miles had ALL the hills. it was fine. i had so many cheerleaders. many people i passed gasped or declared 'she had TWO kids in there!' or 'god, i'm getting tired watching her!' or 'you are doing an amazing job!' i passed a few roadie types on one of the last hills, passed them just because once you get the momentum going with the burley, it is death to stop. anyway, bill was coming along behind and overheard one of the roadies say to another roadie 'holy crap!' as he watched me crank away up the hill with fiona, ella, and 'celeste', as we're calling my new bike. anyway, it was a great time. we hope to make this an annual tradition for our family.

Last updated: 2004-08-10 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 30 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-14 10:41 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: St. Paul Bike Classic

2004-09-14 10:49 AM
in reply to: #61340

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: St. Paul Bike Classic
Sounds like a great ride Autumn! My cube neighbor did the 15 mile course and was just talking about what a nice race it was. Great job!!

Kelly
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Paul Bike Classic Rss Feed