General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Tucson Racing Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 42m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:30, ate some oatmeal, a banana, and some coffee. After I ate, I loaded all my stuff up into the vehicle and drove to the race.

Once there, I saw Josh setting up for his race and got ready next to him. I didn't recognize Jen because I'd never seen her without an orange swim cap on. I felt sorry for her because I kept asking her to help me with things and she was there to help Josh. She was great though.

Harry came and set up next to us. Everyone pretty much dropped their jaw and stared when he whipped out his big, pink Barbie bike pump. The white hawaiian flowers added the winning touch. He tried to play it off by saying it was the only pump left at some triathlon he went to. Tanya made it with her family and helped me with my race number and much needed advice.

We then went to the staging area and listened to a once-in-a-lifetime rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. I then proceded to put my wetsuit on backwards and walked around with my zipper in the front for a good 10 minutes.
Event warmup:

Stretched legs to keep from getting foot/calf cramps during swim
Swim
  • 39m 50s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I meant to take off slow and try to stay smooth and work myself into a good pace. This didn't happen. When the horn went off, Mr. Testosterone took over. I took off with the "fast" swimmers without any regard to pacing myself, got a nice fat lip, (which felt good because it shook the nervousness out of me) and by the 2nd buoy had to stop and slow my heartrate down. I was very upset at myself for taking off the way I did.

After settling myself down, I got into a slow pace because my arms were already tired. From the last buoy to the finish was terrible. I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. The bridge before the exit never seemed to get any closer and my arms were completely spent

I finally made it to the exit and flopped onto the first landing step like a dead fish. I felt totally spent thanks to my not-so-smart start.
What would you do differently?:

Settle myself down in the beginning and swim MY race. Keep my form and try to swim smooth.
Transition 1
  • 04m 45s
Comments:

My friends from the ESCKTC were there to root me on! Tanya and Jen were awesome and Josh came in from the bike on his race.

I basically took my time so I could recover from the swim and mentally prepare for the bike.

Pretend I was in a race and hurried a little.

Done a better job laying my things out so I could get ready faster.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 41s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.26 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't have clipless pedals yet, so when I got new running shoes, this changed the elevation of my feet. I hadn't thought to test them on the bike and immediately knew I'd made a mistake. They had much more cushion on the bottom and I didn't feel as though I was extending my legs as far as they were supposed to.

Once riding, I immediately found I didn't have any leg strength and quickly set into "survival" mode. I definitely felt like I was the guy set on the course to make everyone else feel good about themselves. If you were on the course, I got to watch you pass me and disappear into the distance.

Even though I'd practiced on hills bigger than the small one on the race, the hill on the course was killing me. After the 2nd time around, I seriously wondered if I could get over it again w/out getting off and walking. The 3rd lap was a surprise because I actually felt good! Unfortunately, on the 4th lap, I was back to struggling and just happy to finish.

Check my seat positioning after getting new shoes.

Spend much more time on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

At this point, I was trying to figure out what drugs I had done to make me sign up for this race, and if I could trade my new bike in for bowling lessons.

Seeing Josh and Jen at the transition made me forget about feeling sorry for myself, and made me start thinking about how I was going to finish this race. They lied a lot and told me I looked great and was doing an awesome job. It worked.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 24m 17s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

This should have been an easy course but the heat and lack of any gatorade-type drink made it a killer. Every time I got myself into a pace, my left quad would start to cramp up and I'd have to walk.

To keep going, I just watched the guy in front of me. When he jogged, I jogged and when he walked, so did I. I saw Harry pass the other way and it sparked me up. I finally passed the guy I was following and tried to go alone. Mile 3 had Tanya there rooting me on. This was great because I thought she left a long time ago.

Finally, I found a "lets get this thing done together" buddy to finish the race with. Tanya, Harry and Robin were all there cheering us on when we rounded the corner. It was awesome!

Not get an injured foot so I could run more before the race.

Bring my own gatorade.
Post race
Event comments:

Two months ago, I was an overweight smoker who spent his evenings and weekends laying around watching T.V. My only goal in life was to make it through the next day. Things have changed immensely in a very short amount of time. I have met some wonderful, positive people who I enjoy training with and talking with on this site. I feel energetic, have lost a lot of weight, and haven't even thought of smoking.

Sunday May 20, 2007 was a very good day for me. Now I want more!

Last updated: 2007-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:50 | 1640 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:45
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:31:41 | 24.85 miles | 16.26 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:24:17 | 06.21 miles | 13m 34s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-05-23 1:05 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2007-05-23 10:15 AM
in reply to: #812922

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance
What an awesome race report!!! You did an awesome job for your first time out in years!!! Now you have something to build on! You DID IT! 
2007-05-23 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
Great RR. You did great especially in the olympic distance, I can't imagine how brutal that run must have been at the end.
2007-05-23 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Haha, sweet report! You did great to jump in and do a full olympic with only 2 months to train! Awesome! And, btw, you shoudl know *I* was cheering you on at mile 3 on the run too. :P It was greeat to see you finish!
2007-05-23 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ

Nice RR. That was a serious accomplishment on such a short timeframe.

Let's hope your next thought of smoking will be of smoking the competition

2007-05-23 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Awesome and inspiring Race report.

I think the run was hard for everyone out there.

I had no idea you had been training for such a short time! You obviously have a huge amount of natural talent I am so glad you are embracing the triathlon lifestyle and enjoying it so much.

Hope to see you at the fall tris!

2007-05-24 4:41 PM

User image

Mesa
Good work! It takes a lot to grit out your first one... much less as a OLY!

This was my first ever OLY last year and you beat my swim time by 10 seconds.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed