Columbia, Maryland
United States
The Columbia Triathlon Association Inc.
Total Time = 3h 27m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 164/188
Pre-race routine:

Attended expo the night before. Racked bike that evening. Got eveything together the night before and went to bed early. Got up at 4:00 and had a small breakfastof Slimfast shake, banana and water. Drank some Accelerade about 60 minutes before wave start.
Event warmup:

Not much. Set up transition area and scopes out transition area. Visualized race in my head. Goal time was under 3:30.
My plan was for 37 min swim, 1:35 bike, 60 min run. With 10 minutes total for T1 & T2.
Swim
  • 34m 8s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was what I thought would be weakest area. I had not had the opportunity to have an OWS or even practice with a wetsuit. I had trained regularly in a lap pool so I had the conditioning but everything else about the swim was foreign to me. It took me a few minutes to figure out my sighting and get used to swimming in a crowd. I probably could have gone faster but wanted to take it easy on my first triathlon.
I got a cramp in my calf about half way through which really scared me. I had visions of my calf locking up and not being able to even pedal the bike let alone run. I felt it through the rest of the race but it wasn't a factor.
What would you do differently?:

Practice open water swims. Getting used to race starts will only come with experience. Finished faster than my goal time and felt good coming out of the water (other than my cramp fears)
Transition 1
  • 06m 54s
Comments:

Again, since this was my first tri I wanted to take my time through transitions. Everything went well. I was surprised at how long I actually spent in T1 & T2. It didn't seem that long

Work faster!!!!
Bike
  • 1h 37m 3s
  • 25.48 miles
  • 15.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I had heard that the course was hilly and "thought" I had trained enough on hills. I was wrong. By the second half of the course I was exhausted. I knew that my legs would be spent for the run. There was a little rain and the roads were wet. That made some of the downhills and turns a little scary.

Train more on hills. I am local to this race and should have riden the course a few times.
Transition 2
  • 04m 55s
Comments:

Took time to get some nutrition in T2. Took it easy and enjoyed the experience. Still forgot my race belt.

Work faster.Remember race belt.
Run
  • 1h 04m 26s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where the wheels came off. After the bike I had nothing left for running hills. Strangely, I felt good coming into the run. My first mile was an 8:45. I was looking for a 9:30 pace. Once I hit the first hill there was nothing in my legs to get me up. I had to walk the hills but could maintain my pace on downhills and straight portions.

Train on more hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to Pizza Hut for my reward.

Event comments:

Even with the physical issues I had a BLAST at this race. I was mentally prepared and felt my training was adequate. Now that I have my first race under my belt I can focus on where I can improve.
The race was well organized. Everyone I dealt with from the bike inspection at Princeton Sports, to the people at the expo to race volunteers and officials were great.

Last updated: 2007-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:08 | 1640 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 164/188
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Stream fed lake. No waves and very calm.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:54
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:37:03 | 25.48 miles | 15.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 163/188
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: VERY Hilly!!!
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 87
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:55
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:04:26 | 06.21 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 161/188
Performance: Below average
Course: Very hilly
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-23 3:34 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Subject: Columbia Triathlon

2007-05-23 6:02 PM
in reply to: #814064

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon
nice job beating your time goal! if you're local, you should try and go to the Princeton Bikes tuesday night rides---they're a lot of fun, and the climb up to the school and then up green bridge road aren't so bad after a few rides.
congrats on your first tri!
2007-05-28 3:11 PM
in reply to: #814064

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Columbia Triathlon

congratulations on your first tri!  Awesome!  And an Oly to boot!  Way to earn that Pizza Hut reward.     

Sounds like you really enjoyed your race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed