Dallas Athletes
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 10s
Overall Rank = 77/114
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 6/11
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night at Steve and Marcy's since transition was 2 minutes away. Up at 6:00 and out the door by 6:35. Planned on Clif Bar about 45 minutes before start, but Hoover the beagle beat me to it the night before! She probably enjoyed it more than I would have.
The goal for this race was to PR each leg of the course from St. Paddy's. Exact same course.
Event warmup:

First time doing a swim warmup as per Coach Dave's request ("But Dave, only the GOOD people warmup!" "Laurie, the good people are not the ones who need the warmup. Do it.") I jumped into the first lane, did about 3 strokes, a couple pickups and had enough. Less than 50m total for sure. I'm sure that's not the type of warmup Dave had in mind, but whatever. Stood in line in front of a tall, slim first-timer...she took 2nd place Athena. Sigh.

All times are off my watch. No chips, which I guess weren't called for in such a small race, but I still would have liked to see how I fared against other racers. Official time and my time were off by 1 second, so I was pretty dead-on with my timing.
Swim
  • 06m 44s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Really liked this type of swim start. 15 secs between swimmers and they allowed you to slip in the pool and push off the wall to start. Glad to avoid another belly-flop fiasco!
Wanted to take Dave's advice and start easy and build each 50. Worked pretty well since I caught the next swimmer ahead by the 200m mark. Turns were good off the wall, felt good, just wish my HR would have been a little lower (was 125bpm just before I jumped in the pool!)
Could have passed another one in the last 50, but I'd have had to kill myself to do it and may not have made it anyway.

What would you do differently?:

PR'd the swim from St. Paddy's by 13 seconds!
More master's.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

It's been my history to have one good goof-up per race and it came here: WHen I racked my bike pre-race, the sign saying which bikes were supposed to be on what rack (160-172, for example) was facing away from my rack position, so I just racked my bike, thinking I was on the right one. Well, running into T1, I was facing the signs and when I got to the rack that should have had my bike (170), my bike wasn't there. Of course, my first instinct is, "Someone stole my flippin' bike!!!" I even said out loud, "Where the hell is my bike??" Oh. On the wrong rack where I left it. Yeah. (Pleasantly surprised to see I wasn't penalized for that one)

PR'd from St. Paddy's by 47 secs! (even with the screwup)
Bike
  • 45m 35s
  • 12.68 miles
  • 16.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I headed out really excited about my first race with my new saddle and seat position. Finally, I could race comfortably in aero! Took a little longer than I wanted to get comfy, but once I hunkered down, I could definitely feel how much more power I could get in aero. First long straightaway, looked down and I was going 21mph...wha? Must be a tailwind...nope! Sweet! About halfway through the first lap, I remembered Marcy telling me her goal was to catch me on the bike. I had a couple minutes headstart from the swim, but knowing how much stronger she is on the bike, I figured she'd definitely have me by the 2nd lap. The race leader lapped me just as I was heading into lap 2, which gave me a little more motivation to push harder. Lap 2 pretty uneventful. I was fully expecting Marcy to pass me, but as I was heading into the bigger hills, the idea of her chasing me made me push even harder. I pulled into T2 telling Steve to let Marcy know she pushed me the hardest I've ever worked on the bike.

PR'd from St Paddy's by 2:32! Need some new tri shorts. The seam on my chamois definitely rubbed me the wrong way. Ouch.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Flawless. Had to laugh coming out. Someone was holding up a full-length mirror for the girls to fluff the hair and check the makeup.

PR'd from St. Paddy's by 1:05.
Run
  • 35m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Headed out still thinking Marcy was hot on my trail. All I kept thinking about was how her coach said "It all comes down to the run." I had a little bit of a distraction for the first mile: one girl decided to don her leopard-print gloves, feather boa, sequined belt and matching purse for the run. I think she wore herself out with all the princess waving. I dropped her at the aid station like a bad habit. Walked the aid station and remembered Marcy could be anywhere behind me, so I kept running. Stopped to walk about 4 steps and thought "oh, HELL NO!" and kept running. Good thing, because I met up with Marcy who was about 100 yards behind me just after the turnaround. HR was around 189 for the last mile and I was hurting pretty bad, but it all comes down to the run, damnit, and I wasn't going to pack it in just yet! Ran up the hill, around the corner and DONE!

PR'd from St Paddy's by 2:05! Run PR for a race too!
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered Marcy in soon after I finished and fought to get Marcy her 3rd place Athena medal! She PRd the course too. I must say, I am pretty damn proud of us!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My arse! Working on it though...

Event comments:

This race was definitely one of my best. After 11 tri's, I can walk away from this one saying that even though my physical abilities can definitely improve with more training, my mental and physical efforts were equal and couldn't have been better. I pushed and my body repsonded and I met my race goal...PR'd the whole thing! WOOT!!! Can't ask for too much more than that.

Last updated: 2007-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:44 | 300 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/114
Performance: Good
Suit: BT tri top, Desoto tri shorts
Course: One-way back and forth in 50m pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:35 | 12.68 miles | 16.69 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops on mildly hilly paved roads. Little traffic, lots of police presence.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:03 | 03.1 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Course: Out and back on paved concrete trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-05-23 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Subject: Texas Woman Triathlon
Race Pics

Edited by tri_it_cajun_style 2007-05-23 8:08 PM

2007-05-23 9:27 PM
in reply to: #814448

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Subject: RE: Texas Woman Triathlon

you rock girl!  I knew you beat your time by a ton, but you beat ever freakin event.....by a ton!  Very proud of you.

Oh and Hoover says she's sorry, but I think her paws are crossed.

2007-05-23 10:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana

Oh, I think Hoover will expect a treat from you from now on....don't forget....

GREAT JOB, GIRLIE!!!  Keep up the good work.

2007-05-24 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen

Wow!  A new PR.  Now that's the way to do it!  (we'll all expect that from now on)

Great job sistah!

2007-05-24 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Excellent job, Laurie! A PR in all areas- you can't have a better race than that!! Way to go!
2007-05-25 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Fantastic, Laurie!  Congrats on the accomplishments and improvement.

2007-05-26 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great job Laurie. You were awesome.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texas Woman Triathlon Rss Feed