United States
USAT
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 00m 58s
Overall Rank = 172/255
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 31/42
Pre-race routine:

Bookes a hotel online to get nice and close to the race. Turned out hotel was 25 minutes away from race site. Got up had a breakfast cookie and hung out for awhile.
Event warmup:

Had Kelly with me to drop me off to get everything set up. Did some streching and talked to Jim (Birkierunner) and a few others I knew. Rode bike for awhile to see what was to come.
Run
  • 26m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

See above
What would you do differently?:

Lose 40 pounds
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I went back to the transition before the race 2 or 3 times. I have never done a duathlon before and couldn't believe how little needed to be changed without a swim involved.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 17s
  • 20.5 miles
  • 19.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Started feeling a little queasy. Wasn't sure if the Gatorade and gu was getting to me or not. Cut back on gu and then probably didn't drink enough.

Need to work on stomache issues.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Smooth transition. Legs were happy to be off bike.
Run
  • 28m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt fied so I pretty much gave up on hitting any real goals. I gave up too soon. I forgot from the past that I usually run much better off the bike than on a stand alone run, I'm not sure why. Anyway, I wanted to get under 1:55. With the heavy winds on the bike I gave up on that. Then I wanted under 2:00 hours. But I thought the way my legs felt I was doing 10-11 minute miles. Completely miised the 1 mile sign or I would have realized I was moving quicker. Decided at about 1.5 miles to do some walking and grab some water. Had a tough time getting going again. Realized at mile 2 I had been setting a decent pace(for me) and that I could have made it under 2 hours. Alas, I had wasted too much time. Live and learn.

Never give up and take it easier.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked to my family and others. Eventually ran into Benihana and was able to talk to him for a little while. Saw Jim and he turned in another great performance.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Will and determination.

Event comments:

Duathlons make me a little nervouse. Swimming is probably my best event and running my worst. But, I did enjoy this race and will probably do it again.

Last updated: 2007-01-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:14 | 03.11 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/255
Performance: Good
Course: I had no idea what a competitve field this would be. I started out as the first group to go. I was dead last at the 1 mile mark and was doing 8:20 per mile. I know that's not blazing, but it's not usually last. Took a little while to feel good and the first hill right away was a little tough. Very happy with the run though.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:03:17 | 20.5 miles | 19.44 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: This was a very tough bike. I went out pretty hard at the start and was feeling good. Once we got into the country on the final 8 miles back it was STRONG headwinds the whole way. At about mile 15 or so I knew I had to dial it way back, I couldn't keep pushing or I was going to blow up bad on the run. For being described as relatively flat course with some rollers I thought there were some pretty good hills on this course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:37 | 03.11 miles | 09m 12s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Same as first course
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-27 4:34 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Apple Duathlon

2007-05-27 6:32 PM
in reply to: #818778

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Apple Duathlon
Nice job Bryan!!  Good to see you again.  I agree, that bike course isn't as "flat" as they describe it on the website.  Those winds sucked big time.  At least next week we get to get wet at Buffalo.  See 'ya next time.
2007-05-27 7:02 PM
in reply to: #818841

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
You did great! Your times were excellent, it's just bad luck that the field was really good Was this seriously your first multisport event? As always in life, there are lessons to be learned. A BIG one is to never give up, so there you go. Knowing that will make the next one that much easier. Way to go!
2007-05-29 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
Just the THOUGHT of a du makes me nervous! You did a great job with this race. Way to go, dude! Your run pace is great!
2007-05-30 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

It was nice meeting you at the race.  Great job, and as you found out, Du's are harder than tri's, especially when you can't run 5:00/mile!

I hope to see you this weekeknd at Buffalo

2007-05-30 10:53 AM

User image

Regular
Central Minnesota
Very nice race! That bike course is definitely tough. Even though there isn't any hills on the last 8 miles, the wind always seems to make up for it.

You're right about the competitive field. There seems to be a higher proportion of seriously fast people when comparing to most of the races I do. I usually don't get dropped so quickly on runs, but those guys were all flying!

Maybe I'll see you at Buffalo.

2007-05-30 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,
Nice race! Sounds like all the big guns were out, and mother nature came to play as well. Seeya this weekend!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Apple Duathlon Rss Feed