Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-09-04 7:46 PM
in reply to: #951583

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Triathlon

haymar2 - 2007-09-04 1:47 PM This will be my first Triathlon. I have been following the "Couch to Olympic" program now for 15 weeks and seem to be well on my way to being prepared. Any last minute tips for a beginner? Hope to have a blast!!!!! Thanks in Advance

Just remember to HAVE FUN!!  That's what it's all about. Especially at Disney!!

I did the 70.3 in May and it was an awesome race.  Will be out at the Oly watching hubby and my kids race,  being the cheerleader, and recovering from a marathon!!

Edited by G8RSAX 2007-09-04 7:47 PM

2007-09-06 3:59 PM
in reply to: #952070

Has anybody heard of this? Any reason to be concerned? The Disney folks have tested the water right?

http://www.local6.com/news/14058562/detail.html
2007-09-07 5:59 PM
in reply to: #826649

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
It doesn't really matter how or if you test the water, the sample may or may not be indicative of the level in the lake. It's very elusive. The mayor said that the best way to be safe is to not swim in the lakes when they are over 80 degrees. If you do, swim with nose clips (this amoeba enters the brain thru the nasal cavity), stay out of algae blooms if possible, swim in colder water (deeper), don't do a lot of horseplay or activity where water can get shoved up your nose, coat your nose with vaseline, say a Hail Mary, whatever. Basically any fresh water lake or pond around here could be contaminated in areas. They just don't know enough.

A LOT of people have no problems at all and keep on swimming all the time. A very few people get this, but sadly when they do it's almost always fatal. (2 survivors in all the history I could find).

Personally, I'm holding off on the open water swimming at Lucky's for now, and reconsidering my 9/15 downtown triathlon (the lake was icky last year) but not getting completely freaked out about it all.

It does make you stop and think, huh?
2007-09-07 7:18 PM

User image

delray beach,
DO NOT DO THE DISNEY TRI!!! TRUST ME ITS THE MOST HORRIBLE RACE EVER!! The 70.3 run by m dot is fine
2007-09-09 12:06 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I'm doing the race. I've heard the horror stories and they don't phase me. As for the lake water....well I live in Fl and if you live anywhere in Southern America lake water is going to be 80+ and have similar problems. I do appreciate all the concerns everyone has but geeze for all the haters give it a chance and see if the improvements work this year. Be positive. From what i've read on this site is if you train hard and correctly you can overcome anything thrown your way.
2007-09-10 3:30 PM

User image

delray beach,
trust me Im not a hater but when I did it in 06 and over 300 people wrote letters to disney and several peopl complained at the race , you figure 07 would be better. They screwed 07 up EVEN more. I had friends who did it and I advised them not to, they all wish they listened. But i am optimistic as usual and i am sure you will have a wonderfull race!. Have a family member bring cold water to the finish for you!

2007-09-10 3:57 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
I broke my toe and can't compete. They don't have a medical waiver/rollover. Here's their reply:
"I am sorry, bit as stated on the event registration and brochures all
registrations are final, non transferable and non refundable.

Thanks
Sports"

Wahhhhh, just needed to whine a little here.

I am tempted to find someone my age to be me. Hate to waste that $100 and honestly I'm done with Disney events. They are so impersonal and unbending...not sure there is a real person back there, just something names Sports!

p.s. I do understand about expenses being spent, etc and the cost of putting on an event doesn't change when athletes can't compete. I just am sad and I have seen plenty of other, less well sponsored races that do let you rollover for medical reasons. I'm sticking to those, I'm too much of a klutz.
2007-09-14 11:26 PM

New user

Tampa, FL
What's everyone thinking about this amoeba thing? I received an email from Disney saying that they would be providing free nose plugs at packet pick up And that no one under the age of 18 was allowed to swim.

I'm not sure if I want to risk it. Supposedly this amoeba is found in the sediment of the lake. There's gonna be a lot of people which is gonna stir the lake up a lot.
2007-09-15 5:50 AM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
My son's pediatrician is a friend of mine, and I asked her about the amoeba. She said that there is a small area far up inside the nasal passage where the bone or cartilage is very thin between the nasal cavity and the brain cavity. The water with the amoeba in it must be forced up the nasal passage with enough force to drive it through that membrane and into the brain cavity for the person to get infected.

So basically, most of the infections are in kids who are wake boarding or skiing or rough-housing and get water shoved up their nose with a lot of force.

And that is how the noseplugs help - they will stop the force of the water, even tho' an amoeba could get past a nose plug, the water theoretically won't get forced hard enough to enter the brain cavity.

That said, I'm staying out of the lakes for now. Because it is just like me to be the exception to the rule. But if I could compete in the race, I'd probably go ahead and do it with the nose plugs. One of my best friends is doing that, and I'm not too worried for her. She's also still been training in the lake every Saturday morning at Lucky's.

Hope this helps!

Ann
2007-09-15 11:23 AM

New user

Tampa, FL
Thanks, that does help.
2007-09-23 5:53 PM

New user

Tampa, FL
Well, my first Oly is done. The race was a great experience, but there were a lot of things that I wasn't happy with. Getting to and from the race was a headache. After race provisions were minimal. The shirt wasn't even dry-fit, it was cotton. I just thought that I should have gotten more for my money. And they only had two people registered as military, when I know that my three of my friends and I were signed up as military.

I should have expected it from Disney. Overpay for everything!

I'm doing Suncoast at the end of October. I'm still gonna work out, but I'm not really gonna train for it. I kinda burned myself out mentally. This is my first season and I kinda jumped into things a little too quick.

2007-09-23 6:00 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I too just finished the WDW Tri and thought it was okay.  It was tough getting to the event but we had been told that it was going to be that way.  I'm still new to the sport so the food after the race seemed normal.  Medal and shirt are cool.  The race was packed.  I thought it odd to have my group 30-34 as the last wave but I got to pass people non stop throughout the race.  Tons of cops directing traffic, aid stations every mile on the run.  Overall I thought it was good.
2007-09-23 8:19 PM

User image

Finished the Disney OLY today as well. This was my second TRI ever (first was a sprint in May with Publix). Very disappointed in Disney. Actually, EXTREMELY disappointed.

As stated, getting to the event SUCKED. God forbid they make parking remotely close to the event. Or, God forbid they make the buses actually go straight from the event to the parking lot (why NOT have the bus circle aimlessly around the Disney complex for 20 minutes first?) And then - lack of communication. Many, many participants arrived the day before for check in only to find out that you had to have your bike with you and checked in before 8pm the day BEFORE the triathlon. That's great and all - but why not let us know via email or something?? So, for us - it meant we had to then go BACK to the hotel (30 min drive with traffic that day) and then pick up bike and take it back to squeeze in at 7:30pm and then finally go back to the hotel and try to unwind.

Post-race provisions?? What??? Never saw these...so, yeah...we paid $100 and got a cotton t-shirt and NO post-race provisions other than bottled water. What the hell??

And don't even THINK about asking anyone wearing an official uniform there anything if you have a question (for instance, don't ask the asst race director)...no one knew anything and they would just walkie-talkie each other to death and still couldn't get us answers. Extremely disorganized and poorly ran.

Having said all that (and I could go on with many other things), I will say that the ACTUAL COURSE was pretty good. The swim was fine - except for motor boats all around that when you came up for a breath, u got gas fumes instead of O2. The bike was a great route - but needed more than one water station for a 36 mile ride. And the run was fine - with 8 stations for the 6 mile run - but I personally dislike the double loop runs and this was one of those. Again, even with these relatively minor faults with the actual course, the course was a shining star in the sky of blackness that is disney.

Do i seem a bit bitter? LOL...just over the seeming incompetence - that's all.
2007-09-24 6:58 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

If you had read the athletes guide on Disney's website it would have told you about the distance to the race from parking as well as the mandantory bike check in.  The race provisions were at the tents right after the finish line and in the pavillion where the awards ceremony was held.  The one problem my family ran into was that once the race started they had a hard time getting to the event because officials wouldn't let anyone down the street (the only street) to get to the race.  I don't think it should be mandatory for spectators to be there butt early too.

I'm looking forward to the IM 70.3 to see the difference in how the event is run.  The thing that helped me the most was the complaints from last year.  I had a great time mostly because I new what to expect from the race reports of others. 

2007-09-24 7:20 AM

User image

we finished the race at about 12:30 (started in the same wave as you (30-35) and hung out with friends for about 15 minutes...we then went to the Pavilion and all provisions were gone. still think that could've been better arranged.

re: the website...oh YES...we were told that we should've been checking the website EVERYDAY for any notices or changes. sorry, but i have a life beyond the disney tri. i guess maybe i was spoiled a little too. doing the Baltimore marathon in a few weeks and they are awesome about sending out an update with important info every week via email.

2007-09-24 9:39 AM

User image

also...does anyone have any clue how/when we can see the results from the race?

Disney has removed all contact information from their website (We're sorry. The page you are trying to access is currently not available.), so it is impossible to call there now and get in touch with them. also, no one picks up at the premiere mgmt number or at the race director's #.

2007-09-24 9:40 AM

New user

Tampa, FL
Does anyone know anything about online posting of results and/or photos?
2007-09-24 10:02 AM
in reply to: #976486

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL

Not sure about on-line results but here is a link to race photos:

http://www.asiorders.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=17185

2007-09-24 10:09 AM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
I signed up for this race at the last minute and went prepared to be disappointed as usual. My experience surprised me. I understand its a pain in the tail to work with the Disney logistics, but I had no trouble getting my bike to the start. I found the voluntEARS extremely courteous and helpful. All my complaints about the courses from previous years were fully addressed. I thought the course was great (a little flat). There was plenty of water and powerade at the rest stops. Lots of fans along the run route and at the finish to help the energy level. Plenty of fruit and water at the finish (although I prefer pizza). In short, it was the most fun Ive had at a race in a long time. My impression this year was that they finally got it right. Sorry if yours was different.
2007-09-24 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

I had a great time as well.    My wife is already looking forward to next year and I will be back again.  Could have done without all that wind on the bike course.

I sent an email to WDW last night about results and here is what I got back.  And it was a quick reply which was nice.

Thank you for your email.

The official results were received from the timing team this morning.
They were sent to our webmaster and will be posted online at 
http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/endurance/events/detail?name=2007WALTDISNEYWORLDTriathlonEventDetailPage         between this afternoon and tomorrow.

Thanks

Sports

Edited by papson14 2007-09-24 10:56 AM
2007-09-24 6:00 PM
in reply to: #976486

GO TO WWW.DISNEYWORLDTRIATHLON.COM FOR THE RACE RESULTS

2007-09-25 10:00 PM
in reply to: #975984

Finished the WDW race also. I thought that the race was actually pretty good, but the surroundings? Crap. I realize that this is just my opinion/point of view, but it seems (in my informal survey) to jibe pretty well with others' opinions.

(1) There is no doubt that the multitude of volunteers were nice. But the real concern on my part was the fact that the volunteers were pretty uninformed about what was actually transpiring this weekend. Short of simple facts, they were very quick to pass the buck (usually using their walkie-talkies).
(2) I should not be surprised, as I have been to Disney on numerous occasions in the past decades, but I am still astonished at how (a) incredibly slow, (b) stupendously unprepared and (c) ridiculously robotic every Disney employee was. God forbid you veer off the established protocol or mantra - you will be punished. We arrived at Fort Wilderness a day earlier than some (early Friday), had to wait until 4:30 for our rooms to be ready (even though they said they would be ready at the latest at 3pm), then had to wait until almost 6pm to get our luggage (that had to be checked because the rooms weren't ready)! I was told on more than one occasion that the reason for all of the "perceived slowness" was because it was an "unusual weekend" and that the Tri was "causing problems for everyone." Nice, huh?
(3) The transportation? Don't even go there. One example, however - my flight to Orlando was just over 1 hour long. My trip to Fort Wilderness from the airport aboard the "Magical Express"? 1 hour 45 min. Holy crap.
(4) I thought the course was okay, but I second the comments about the lack of water aid stations on the bike course and the horrible layout of the run course.
(5) Gotta love the $1/min massage after the finish - and ONLY CASH. Hmmmm - I am sure for those of you with family members present (or others) it was no biggie, but to me? Where the HELL do I get cash? I JUST FINISHED A RACE. At other events I have been to, massages after the race were generally free or rationed and used students.
(6) I know I probably already sound like a crumudgeon - sorry, but some things really pissed me off - but one more thing: give me a freakin BREAK on the cheesy DJs at 6am on the beach prior to the wave start. Good lord.

I think you get the gist. It does seem like there were significant improvements from last year, but there is a WORLD of a way to go before I do this again. Bye bye Mickey.
2007-09-28 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Just got the link for the WDW Tri pictures.....wow they suck!  All  4 pics are on the bike.  No running. No finish line...I even slowed down so I would be crossing alone and there is nothing.  Wait.  I did find one of me coming out of the water in the lost and found section.  Next time I'll bring my own disposable and just snap off some shots as I go.
2007-09-28 9:40 AM

User image

Mine and my buddy's pics actually turned out quite well. I've seen much worse (at other runs and the one sprint i did).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Walt Disney World Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2