General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Walt Disney World Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-06-02 10:07 AM

User image

Bellevue, Washington
Subject: Walt Disney World Triathlon
I've read a lot of race reports for this race from last year, and it sounds like they got a lot of stuff wrong.  It looks like they've changed the bike course and a few other things but I guess I'm still a little concerned.  I'd love to do this race and bring the family so we can have fun at the parks afterward.  What do ya'll think?  Do you think they'll have all the bugs worked out this year?

Edited by gtbuzz 2007-06-02 10:08 AM

2007-06-02 10:25 AM
in reply to: #826649

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Triathlon
I did the Disney Olympic triahtlon last year and experienced the shortened bike course and nightmarish transition from bike to run.

I also did the FL 70.3 race a few weeks ago at Disney and they didn't have any of the issues with the bike in/runners out transition debacle. I would assume since they have changed the bike course for the race this year, they will have solved the issues from last year, especially considering the amount of negative feedback they must have gotten from racers.

Just as an FYI, it looks like this year the bike is longer than a normal Olympic/International distance triathlon, which is normally 40K (~25 miles). They have it listed this year as 58K (~38 miles) The swim and run are the normal distances of 1.5K (~.9 miles) and 10K (~6.2 miles), respectively. I would give it a shot if you're OK with the longer bike course. Hope that helps, have fun!
2007-06-02 10:26 PM

User image

New user

I signed up for Disney a couple of months ago before reading any of the negative feedback.  My friend and I started training for tri's in February and we made Disney our long term goal.  Honestly, unless you're in it to be super competitive and finish high in the standings, I don't think it will be such a horrible experience even if they haven't worked out all the kinks.  It's what you make of it.  My husband runs marathons, and he ran the A1A in Ft. Lauderdale which got horrible reviews from runners last year.  Maybe they made lots of corrections from '06, but he had a great experience.  Our whole family will be with me that weekend in Orlando, so I'm hoping it will be lots of fun.

Good luck to you!

2007-06-03 10:14 AM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
I've got to agree with Tri3 above - the bike finish was a recipe for disaster with runners going out and bikers coming back to transition on one of the narrow paths. A single misstep and someone could get seriously injured. I didnt mind the fact the course was way short, but coming in, you had to fall into single file for quite a ways, then negotiate the runners gauntlet. The 70.3 races have been much better produced (there's a reason people want to do the M-dot races). That said, the Disney venue is kind of cool, and running through Epcot is a treat. Hopefully lessons have been learned and with a couple of tweaks the race sould be top-notch. I'll probably be back just 'cuz its close.
Just my opinion.
2007-06-07 3:17 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-06-08 7:26 AM

Bellevue, Washington

Thanks for all the feedback.  I ran the Disney Marathon in 2006 and loved it, but its a much bigger event and I'm sure it (and the 70.3 race) are run by a different crowd.  I brought the family last year and we all just had a blast in the parks and all.  My little girl is 3 this year and a big part of why I want to do this race is so she can go to Disney again this year. 

Anyway, when it's all said and done, I'll probably be doing this race.  I'm just concerned about a few things.  I saw on their sparse website where they have changed the bike course to alleviate some "athlete safety concerns" from last year, but now it's 36 miles!  Do you really have to add 11 miles to the course just to correct a few problem areas?? 

The other big issue for me is the Disney transportation stuff.  It looks like last year the only way to get your bike into transition was to park in the Magic Kingdom parking lot and hop on a Disney shuttle with your bike to take it to transition.  From the reports I read they only let a few bikes on at a time and it ended up taking some folks quite a while to do this.  Between getting the bikes into transition and getting to and from the expo, it seems like they had a lot of logistical issues. 

I think I also read that the run ends behind Epcot (same as the marathon) and folks had trouble getting back to transition to get their bikes and then getting back to their hotels from there.

I think if they fixed the course issues and I could stay at the Wilderness lodge or the campground I'd probably be OK. 

What do ya'll think?

2007-06-08 7:50 AM

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
The parking lot where you park to take a bus to transition is only a couple of miles from the transition area. For the 70.3 race we parked and rode our bikes over to check them in. No need to put your bike on a bus. 70.3 also had the end of the race right next to transition, hopefully they will be able to do the same for this race. Ending in that parking lot definitely is not fun.
2007-06-08 8:25 AM
in reply to: #835386

Bellevue, Washington

Tri3 - 2007-06-08 8:50 AM The parking lot where you park to take a bus to transition is only a couple of miles from the transition area. For the 70.3 race we parked and rode our bikes over to check them in. No need to put your bike on a bus. 70.3 also had the end of the race right next to transition, hopefully they will be able to do the same for this race. Ending in that parking lot definitely is not fun.

I just saw that on the 70.3 website.  That sounds like a great idea (riding to transition).  They haven't posted the course yet, so I don't know where  they plan to end the run this year, but they only say they've changed the bike course, not the run, so I'd assume it still ends behind Epcot in the big parking lot.

2007-06-08 8:37 AM
in reply to: #835447

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL
Come to think of it, you are probably right since this race has historically included a run through Epcot, whereas the 70.3 race was all through back-lots and off-road. No run-through-the-park action.
2007-06-08 2:10 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Transportatin is always a nightmare in Disney.  BEST advice 1-Pick up your packet on FRIDAY when they still let you drive and park at contemporaray (last years pickup hotel) and 2- stay at the WIlderness lodge because it is CLOSE to the race site and you can ride your bike back and forth with no worries about getting it on a bus.  I did it last year.  Hated it.  Won't do it again.  SHort bike, nightmare getting into T2, Africa hot run without enough water stations, changed the swim waves at least 4 times and treated me like I was a moron for asking what time my wave was starting, unbelievable NOISY at the race.....had to SCREAM at someone standing next to you to be heard not to mention some obnoxious spectators.  BUT IF your main goal is a race venue to take your child to disney then go for it. 
2007-06-11 2:21 PM

i'm signed up.

i called and asked about the bad reviews from last year. guy said there was some changes (this year the course will be the same course used for HIM) and gave me these contacts...

premier event management runs the event...
bill burke
504-454-6561

race director is Matt Patrick...
407-938-3441

Also, here are the open/shut times for each event...
7:30-10 - swim
7:50-11:30 - bike
8:50-1pm - run

2007-06-11 2:37 PM

Bellevue, Washington

Thanks ManOnMission for the info.  For those who are interested, here's a link to the HIM course info: http://www.floridahalfironman.com/course.php

2007-06-11 3:26 PM

Bellevue, Washington

The bike course for the HIM has two lobes, a north one and a south one.  They meet about halfway up the page where Lake Hancock Road runs into Reams Road.  I'm thinking the new 36 mile route for this year's "Olympic" is to just ride the lower lobe.  If you look on google maps you can see that Hancock actually runs into Reams here.

2007-06-23 3:11 PM

New user

I think they have learned a lot for the ½IM race. The course will start and finish at Fort Wilderness just like FL 70.3. I suspect that the additional miles were added so they could mirror part of the IM course which I thought was nice. I have run it the past couple of years because I live in Orlando and hope that this one will be their best yet. Should be a good, fast race in my prep for IM Florida in November.
2007-07-01 10:33 AM
in reply to: #839565

I would love to see the bike course as part of the 70.3 course. I just took a quick measurement on "rec path.com", and the lower section came out to appx. 36 miles without the Herzog rd. out and back. That would be great because it misses the hills of Porter and avalon(545) roads.

Also the Race Pavillion (registration) has moved to ft. wilderness as well. Yeah.
Maybe they have their stuff together.

Just my opinion, but i would much rather stay at ft. wilderness for the run- even with half of it probably on trails. I work at EPCOT so iv'e seen the Parking Lot .......Not impressive. Any rumors of this happening?
2007-07-17 4:37 PM

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
Sad to hear all the negative reviews. Of course each race seems to be different each year, hope htis one improved!

2007-07-27 2:29 PM

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
It looks like they have changed the things that people wanted changed. I guess that's why this is the "Year of a Million Dreams" at Disney. Someone used theirs on this race. To you sir or madam, I thank you. I will see you there and I'll save my Disney Dream for a free funnel cake.
2007-08-02 9:38 AM

New user

Tampa, FL
Hey, after some deep digging I found the course maps for the Disney Triathlon. It doesn't look like we're going to be running anywhere near Epcot this time. At least, it doesn't look like afer comparing the course maps to Google Earth.

Here's the link to the course maps:
http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/endurance/events/...
2007-08-03 12:55 PM
in reply to: #910895

GOOD NEWS!
I like the course . It's a lot of the fl. 70.3 course. The descriptions are a cut and paste job from the fl. 70.3 race packet anyway. Looking forward to it.
2007-08-04 3:45 PM

Expert
Orlando, FL
Yes, the bike is a subset of the 70.3 bike, and the run is the same. This will be a great lead-in if you are training for the 70.3 next year (assuming that they don't change that all up :-)

I'm looking forward to the race, tho' I am seriously undertrained right now. Hope to see a few more BTers there as well!

2007-08-05 4:41 AM
in reply to: #913475

I'm in the same boat with my training. Summers in central fla. are a crapshoot with the rain and lightning. I was only able to get outside 2 days this past week.
The race is just a workout for the 70.3 next May anyway so i really just want to focus on a few things i've been working on.

2007-08-28 2:58 PM

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Getting close! How is everyone's training going? I just completed my first Oly this past weekend and had a blast. Looking forward to Disney. Good Luck All and Happy Training.
2007-08-29 12:08 PM

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Hey all,

This is the 4th time I am not supposed to do this race because of last years issue's / problems . . .it must be something about Running around Epcot that made me sign up once again!

Good Luck to everyone . . .see you at the Race!

cb
2007-08-29 9:16 PM

New user

Tampa, FL
I'm not sure if I'm ready. I went for a 30 mile bike ride the other day and didn't really have a good feeling about it when I was done. I guess we'll just see how it turns out on race day. Good luck to all.
2007-09-04 12:47 PM

New user
Woodstock
This will be my first Triathlon. I have been following the "Couch to Olympic" program now for 15 weeks and seem to be well on my way to being prepared. Any last minute tips for a beginner? Hope to have a blast!!!!!
Thanks in Advance
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Walt Disney World Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2