General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The dangers of biking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-05 11:52 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: The dangers of biking

As per my usual, I have started a thread on the regular board that people don't seem to understand.  Okay, so maybe I have communication issues.  I will try a different approach with you guys, because I know many of you and we're out there biking in many of the same places.

I just wanted to say PLEASE PLEASE be careful.  Stop at intersections when you are supposed to.  Follow the rules so drivers know what to expect from good cyclists.  Learn the rules if you don't know them   And encourage everyone you know to wear a helmet and colorful biking clothes.  I really think some casual bikers think they don't need helmets or don't know they can find ones that fit.  Heck, buy a friend a helmet if you can and if they need one.

It makes me sick to think about the number of people I know recently in crashes and I worry about you guys.   I know you guys know this and always wear your helmets, etc., but I just can't sit still and watch it happen to anyone else that I know.  So I am saying it out loud

Just wanted to bring it to the front of your minds in this crazy time of year with road construction especially.  Take care!

2007-06-05 11:58 AM
in reply to: #830571

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Subject: RE: The dangers of biking
I second this one. After our run and swim on Saturday I met the family for lunch and they decided to ride home, so I took the car back. I grabbed the bike and headed out to meet them on their way back and it was amazing the number of people on tri bikes in the aeros who ran stop lights without looking and in general having horrid biking skills regarding safety. Come on, you put a gazillion hours into training for some race that is months away and cost hundreds of dollars and you are going to risk getting plowed, so you do not slow down for 10" at a stop sign? Sorry, but your priorities are really screwed up. Life is not race, nor is training.
2007-06-05 12:56 PM
in reply to: #830571

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: The dangers of biking
I'm not sure where you guys are riding, but the most careful people I see are bike/tri folks that are training.

Personally, I (almost) always stop at intersections and ALWAYS slow down.

Even with good biking skills, with as much time as we spend in the saddle, it's likely that we'll eventually have an err in judgement and take a spill.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The dangers of biking Rss Feed