General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swim Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-06-17 11:33 PM
in reply to: #833440

User image

Subject: RE: Open Water Swim Group
Which beach at Calhoun is best to swim at? I have swam at the south beach, but there seems to be a lot of weeds. I'm getting pretty frustrated with the drive to Golden Valley from Nokomis in the morning because the traffic is terrible and there is no easy route. Does anyone have any other suggestions? How is Cedar Lake to Swim in?

2007-06-18 8:31 AM
in reply to: #848016

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Zawa - 2007-06-17 11:33 PM Which beach at Calhoun is best to swim at? I have swam at the south beach, but there seems to be a lot of weeds. I'm getting pretty frustrated with the drive to Golden Valley from Nokomis in the morning because the traffic is terrible and there is no easy route. Does anyone have any other suggestions? How is Cedar Lake to Swim in?

NJ.  I swam at Calhoun North beach last week.  Really easy parking if you're willing to cough up 50 cents for an hour spot.  There are 2 port-o-johns to change into.  No port-o-john is fun to change in.  Measured the distance from buoy to buoy last week.  Really close to 100 yds.  In my opinion North Calhoun a little 'dirtier' than Nokomis, dead fish, trash, etc., but once you're out in the water, it doesn't make a difference.  Was running late this morning, so did an indoor swim.

I hear you on the drive from Richfield to Golden Valley.  Nightmare.  Calhoun to Golden Valley not too bad.  Take Lake St. west to 100 N.  I then take 394 W and then 169 N to work.  It flows pretty smoothly.  I'll have to check into Cedar Lake...

2007-06-19 10:04 AM

User image

Minneapolis
I did the OWS swim with Dave Cameron at lake Geoerge on Sunday, Dave is crazy first off, to watch him swim is intense. I think he has gills, he swims like freakin AQUA MAN! It is almost creepy how good he is. I work at the YWCA with Dave and the channel team, they need more money or they may not be able to go, they are rasing money for kids of color to get swim lessons- it is really cool! ive if you can!! http://www.ywcampls.org/channel/index.asp
I digress.
I would like to join you guys for a another OWS before the minne man but after reading all this stuff, I have no clue where or when you are swimming. Please let me know so I can make plans to join you.
Quiana/ BGT
2007-06-19 6:15 PM

User image

I hear you on the "not sure what day and/or time we swim?" Well I think that most of us have been figuring out the best time and place to swim, then we will determine if we some how have run into each other.

Hey I did swim at the North Beach this morning at about 5:45. The water is pretty clean, but I didn't venture outside the beach rope to see if you run into weeds and/or to get a longer lap in. I think that I'm going to venture out on Thursday.

Oh, has anyone see the fisherman at any of the MPLS lakes so far? Last week I saw this guy at Nokomis when I got in, then I saw him this morning. Apparently, he likes to fish just outside the swim area early in the morning. You will know when you see him because he's in waiters and a bucket hat...interesting guy!
2007-06-19 11:11 PM
in reply to: #851392

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Hikergerb and TriGirlKris (maybe???) and I are swimming tomorrow evening (Wednesday) at Little Long Lake at 7:00.  This place is amazing, in my opinion.  It's about 300 yards across and really quiet.  The lake is in Mound, which even though it's only 20 mins west of Minneapolis it is like another world surrounded by farmland and you have to take a gravel road to get to the park entrance.  It's quite lovely.  If anyone is interested, PM me and I can send directions.  It's not as "convenient" as the Minneapolis lakes, but worth the drive at least once.
2007-06-20 9:53 AM
in reply to: #851392

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Zawa - 2007-06-19 6:15 PM I hear you on the "not sure what day and/or time we swim?" Well I think that most of us have been figuring out the best time and place to swim, then we will determine if we some how have run into each other. Hey I did swim at the North Beach this morning at about 5:45. The water is pretty clean, but I didn't venture outside the beach rope to see if you run into weeds and/or to get a longer lap in. I think that I'm going to venture out on Thursday.

Sorry guys, I've kinda been out of touch.  Lots of family activities going on this week which have forced me to do indoor pool workouts.  Between the beach rope and buoys seems to be pretty weed free, but of course that was a week ago.  Weeds grow fast when it's warm...

Oh, has anyone see the fisherman at any of the MPLS lakes so far? Last week I saw this guy at Nokomis when I got in, then I saw him this morning. Apparently, he likes to fish just outside the swim area early in the morning. You will know when you see him because he's in waiters and a bucket hat...interesting guy!

No, but last time I swam at Calhoun, there was a guy just outside the swim area with waders and a bucket hat looking for stuff with a metal detector.  It was good sighting practice, though...had to look up every so often to be sure I didn't swim into him...

I may do an open water in Calhoun on Friday morning (6:15am), but this all depends on how good my sleep is the night before (sleeping in a tent)...the things we do for family...

2007-06-20 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
The weeds are not bad at Calhoun. Just finished up a swim there at 8. Practice transitioning from swim to bike a couple of times. There were some people fishing in a boat just outside the outer bouys, not the swimming ones. I was hoping they didn't pull anything up too big.

We will be there Friday morning too. Maybe we'll see you there.
2007-06-20 4:07 PM

User image

Minneapolis
urgggg friday morning I going to anther lake (can not say which due to city not wanting to give us permission to use it) to be boat support for the channel swimmers. it is the onky day they swim local and do not have to drive out to chrismas lake. Darn. I will join you some day soon!! BGT
2007-07-02 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Longmont
Any new dates for early morning OWS?
2007-07-02 2:51 PM
in reply to: #869312

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

co_tri_guy - 2007-07-02 2:45 PM Any new dates for early morning OWS?

Out of town on vacation for the next week and a half...

If you catch Calhoun north beach or Nokomis in the morning, you should start to see lots of triathletes...maybe not BTers, but still triathletes... 

2007-07-03 9:39 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
A few of us have been frequenting Square Lake in the evenings as well. 8 lengths of the swimming area (bounded by buoys) is a little over 1 mile.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swim Group Rss Feed  

of 2