General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
United States
Elkhart Lake Multisports, Inc.
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 07m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 23/27
Pre-race routine:

Got up way too early. The TNT coaches wanted us downstairs at 5 a.m., and I'm still trying to figure out why. I guess it was OK because I got everything ready with plenty of time left. Drank water, talked to the guy setting up next to me whom I'd met the day before.
Event warmup:

None. Just got the tri suit on and waited.
Swim
  • 34m 20s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was excellent. I'm a terrible swimmer so this was my best-ever swim split. It was definitely the highlight of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

I took my time through T1, stopped to help a fellow triathlete who was obviously flustered about a flat tire in T1, poor guy. It wasn't much but I held his bike while he pumped up his fixed tire.

Not help the fellow triathlete. Only joking. Nothing different except maybe try not to take as much time.
Bike
  • 1h 29m 55s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.58 mile/hr
Comments:

See `course' ... this was one painful mofo. I was woefully undertrained for this race as a whole, then to throw hills at me??? I was like the Titanic -- had no friggin' chance. The good news is lots of people were walking their bikes up the hills but I managed to keep a heft 4-mph pace.

Train more. RIDE LOTS!
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

T2 was better than T1, just like the movies. Stopped after getting everything ready before grabbing my bike to take a couple swigs of wataer and enjoy the scenery.

Not take time to enjoy the scenery.
Run
  • 57m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Started cramping at the mile 1 water stop. I'm not sure if I was dehydrated or if the bike was killing me, all I know if my quads and muscles around my knees weren't having it and started seizing up on me. I blew through the water stop, taking two cups for drinkage and one for pouring-over-the-headage. That helped but about mile three my hamstring seized up and I came to a screeching halt. Thankfully a teammate was behind me and helped me stretch it out and it was back to it. I caught the guy who was #176 (I was #177) with whom I started and he looked a bit pekid. I decided just to run with him for awhile. We ended up jogging the last 2.5 miles and waxing philisophical about the war (he's ex-Marines, I'm ex-Air Force, family and triathlons).

To be faster not slow down and talk to my buddy.
Post race
Warm down:

We went straight from the finish to the beach and back into the water. It was cold but very refreshing. Had to get all the snot off my shoulders and hands. Ewwww!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't train hard enough for this race. I've been totally slacking the past few months and it showed. The hills were killer -- everybody agreed on that. But to finish 24th out of 27 in my AG??? That's not acceptable by any means. To say the hills slowed my bike, which slowed my run is an excuse. Had I been better trained I would've done better. That said, I enjoyed this tri more than any I've done because I was less concerned about the time and enjoyed the sights, sounds, ladies and lake.

Event comments:

Next time I'll either train more or NOT bitch about my crappy time.

Last updated: 2007-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:20 | 1640 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/27
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full-sleeve wetsuit
Course: Out and back. Flat water in a spring-fed lake that was clear. It was the nicest lake I've ever swam in and definitely a good swim for me.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:29:55 | 24.85 miles | 16.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/27
Overall: 27/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Holy shiiite!!! This was by far the most difficult course I've ever biked other than the mountain passes I do when in Colorado. I've never done a race with 10-percent hills like these. Training in Chicago does NOT help when you do races on hills. Definitely need more hill training. The downhills were frickin' AWESOME. Top speed was 42 going through a sweeping right into a sweeping left.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:16 | 06.21 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/27
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Lots of hills. Lots and lots of hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-10 12:34 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Edits: Turns out I was 24/27, not 23/27 because my run buddy crossed one second before me. The results I have don't give overall place.

Edited by mr2tony 2007-06-10 12:37 PM

2007-06-10 8:31 PM
in reply to: #837626

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: RE: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Good to meet you this weekend, and glad you had a great time at the triathlon. Times are irrelevant - it's about how much fun you have. And if you had fun, you'll probably be back. The TNT group was HUGE!!! That was pretty cool watching everyone cheering as their teammates crossed the finish line. Next year, more hill training.....
2007-06-11 7:22 AM
in reply to: #837626

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Nice meeting you this weekend, Nice report and great time!

I see you enjoyed yourself on the wrong ladies. You should have found a faster one and chased the pace booty! you would have been so much happier and distracted from the pain.

Take Care!!!!

eeeeeeeeeawww from the Donkey Nation!!!
2007-06-11 9:53 AM
in reply to: #838417

User image

Champion
Chicago
TriDDS - 2007-06-11 7:22 AM

Nice meeting you this weekend, Nice report and great time!

I see you enjoyed yourself on the wrong ladies. You should have found a faster one and chased the pace booty! you would have been so much happier and distracted from the pain.

Take Care!!!!

eeeeeeeeeawww from the Donkey Nation!!!

No race booty this weekend!!! I was just THAT slow -- they all finished WAY before me.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed