Out Loud Productions
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 24s
Overall Rank = 544/684
Age Group = CLYDE
Age Group Rank = 29/44
Pre-race routine:

Got up checked the weather and had some water and a cliff bar. Took a shower and loaded the truck. Got the girls and Justin up and off we went.
Event warmup:

Rode my bike to transition and swam a little before the start. Talked with Joe, Bonnie, and Tammy.
Swim
  • 17m 16s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Sarted out with Joe and Bonnie and tried drafting a bit off of Joe but I kept getting his feet so I went around him. I swam great for the first 300 and breast stroked around the bouy and started for home. I did ok for the next maybe 125 yards and then my usual mental break down on the swim set in. I started breast stroking again too much and the switch to freestyle and back a few time then I bumped into someone and it was Joe. He gave me a "Hi Jim" and was off. I tried staying with him for a while but I had lost me grove. I watch him get out of the the water a little bit ahead of me.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. I have been in the pool but I have not trained the way I should. Swimming 100 to 200 yards at a time is not getting it done. I guess I should be happy I swam freestyle as long as I did.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Had trouble getting my socks on and had to sit down to get them on. I need to run to the rack and run out with my bike.

Figure out sit down or stand up to put the socks on don't try both. Run in and out of T1.
Bike
  • 32m 48s
  • 11 miles
  • 20.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I pass a bunch of people on the bike but I don't know how many were on the first loop or the second. I felt winded at the start I think my heart rate was up too high from the swim, but I settled down and had a good ride. I was 1 mph faster that last year.

Push a bigger gear for more speed, and train more. That seems to be a pattern with me.
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

I had trouble getting my leg over the seat. What a dork!

Run into T2
Run
  • 30m 19s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt ok not great when I started the run. I don't think that I did a good enought job with fluids and gels on the bike. I ran the first mile in the high 9 min per mile but hit the wall during mile 2. The walk/run started, all I can say is when I ran it was at a better pace than my 1st mile but I walked too much. My 2nd mile was in the 11 min per mile pace. The good thing is right before I hit mile 2 water station this lady was telling me don't walk keep going so did until I got to the water station and walk while I drank, she left me behind. I told myself I had one mile to go and pictured my lunch run and how far I needed to go and picked up the pace. The water and walk helped because I was feeling much better and was running better than my 1st mile. I caught and past the lady and she said "great thanks a lot now you are beating me" I told her sorry and kept going. I held my pace very well on the last mile and picked it up when I saw the bridge. I sprinted to the finish and heard my family and friends cheering me on. I must say I was beat and was having trouble catching my breath after I finished.

Not walk!!! But I did beat last years run by 2 min.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water and visited with my family and friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration and nutrition need to be better. I need to train more on my swim I can tell if I struggle on the swim then the rest of my race suffers. I did better my total time from last year by 10 min.

Last updated: 2007-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:16 | 600 yards | 02m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/44
Overall: 0/684
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Out and back in a neighborhood lake. The water was very warm and you couldn't see a thing.....I think the course is longer than they have listed because I know even with my mental let down I still swam better that last year but my time per 100 doesn't show it.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:44
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:32:48 | 11 miles | 20.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/44
Wind:
Course: 2 loop course do to a change at the last min, which made it the same as last year.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:19 | 03 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/44
Course: Nice loop around the lake and the out through the neighborhood. I like this race because of the first mile it is nice to run around that lake and if your family it there they can see you a few times more than and out and back course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %-6 lb
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-12 3:30 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Tejas Triathlon

2007-06-12 4:55 PM
in reply to: #841488

User image

Regular
Katy, TX (west of Houston)
Subject: RE: Tejas Triathlon
Great job beating last year's time, Jim  It was fun seeing you there, and cheering you on at the finish.
2007-06-13 6:22 AM
in reply to: #841488

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Tejas Triathlon
Good job bettering your time from last year. It is motivating to see improvements in your performance. A bit more steady training and you'll be knocking down faster times for sure.

Too bad I couldn't find any BT'ers after the race, just so many people hanging around.

One day we'll meet up at a race in the future.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tejas Triathlon Rss Feed