Set-Up, Inc.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 32s
Overall Rank = 125/189
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 21/27
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4:30 couldn't sleep anymore, drand cup of coffee, water. Ate bananna and english muffin with almond butter. Loaded wife and son into car and took off. Got there about one hour before had set up etc..
Event warmup:

Ran around transition area once stretched a little, played with son.
Swim
  • 16m 42s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall pretty happy with swim. First open water swim, hung back and to side to begin then just got into a decent rhythm, had a little trouble with navigation a couple of times but overall ok. Need to get faster.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe pick up pace a little towards end once I was sure I was not going to drown.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Decent transition, first race with clipless shoes, running in those was an adventure. Getting on bike not the easiest as it was uphill. Much better than first race, I think by a minute .
Bike
  • 51m 30s
  • 15.7 miles
  • 18.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty hilly course, nothing like I am used to training on, WO & D. Killed myself on first big hill right at start. Got out of saddle and pounded up it. As soon as I got to top felt the legs really burning and new I had made a big mistake, maybe what ended up killing me on the run. Took me a little while to get settled back down and did ok after that.

Got a piece of paper or something stuck in front wheel which ended up getting caught in brakes and was making an awful sound, tried to deal with it for awhile but eventually just stopped and got it cleard out, probably cost me a minute but no big deal.

Not go out too fast especially if uphill.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Getting off bike was a little scary, down hill, first time in clipless shoes, took it really slow so I did not eat it, which I almost did anyway. Wife said she saw several people wipe out. Dont know if it was the best setup considering it seemed like they had a flat part a little further up to put the mount/dismoutn line.

Nothing pretty happy. Forgot hat so had to go back, probably only cost me 10 sec.
Run
  • 29m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

This is what killed me. Very hilly, nothing like I train on. I was hot, do not know whether I drank too much/too little, too much/too little gel but about a quarter mile into second loop had to stop because I thought I was going to heave. Told myself I would not walk after first lap but could not hold out. Walked for about a minute or so then ran, at that point goal was to beat 30 minutes, 10 min mile. Ran as fast as I could for last quarter of mile.

Not burn out legs on bike, train hills, figure out hydration, gel thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt exhausted at end compared to Reston Sprint. Felt fine after five minutes in shade and some water and peanut butter cups. Also had bananna.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training on hills, burngin legs on first 1/4 mile of bike.

Event comments:

Good race, more than I bargained for. Description of race said flat run course, so was not preparted mentally or physically for what I encountered. Would do it again.

Last updated: 2007-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:42 | 750 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/27
Overall: 128/189
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:51:30 | 15.7 miles | 18.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/27
Overall: 114/189
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly. Couple of big hills, lots of rolling, some fun downhills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:26 | 03.11 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/27
Overall: 140/189
Performance: Below average
Course: Hills, hills, hills. Hot.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 8:27 AM

Regular
Vienna,VA
Subject: Little Pepper 2007

2007-06-18 9:46 AM
in reply to: #848271

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: Little Pepper 2007
Nice race report and way to make it through and finish a very hard course. Your bike split was great considering all the hills! I think this course was a lot more than anyone bargained for and am glad to see that all of us BT's made it through ok.

2007-06-18 10:05 AM

User image

Ashburn, VA
Good job on the race!
The hills were indeed a killer.
And like you I train on the WoD trail so it's not the perfect place to be ready for all of these hills.
On my side, I did a fair amount of hills work on an indoor bike before the race and that helped me to keep a decent pace. But that was not an easy race...
2007-06-18 4:18 PM

Wow - you really pulled out of some rough spots...especially on that bike having to stop twice. Your averages came out awesome despite it all and I know you'll do really great on a flat course! Sorry we missed you at the event!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Little Pepper 2007 Rss Feed