Des Moines, Iowa
United States
85F / 29C
Total Time = 2h 42m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My race routine is always the same....little to no sleep followed by coffee, outmeal and a bagel.
Swim
  • 45m 38s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my worst swim ever. I came into this race undertrained and unprepared for an OWS. I'm not a good swimmer to begin with, but this swim should have taken me 35 minutes or less.
What would you do differently?:

Swim training....got to do it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

Why didn't I wear my tri top in the water? I know better than this. I stuggled for a solid 30 seconds trying to wiggle the top on over my wet body.

Think. Prepare.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 44s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Cycling being my strong point, I thought I would hammer this course and make up the poor swim time. I should have averaged 24-25 MPH based off of past performances and because this course was flatter than where I train. I started getting inner thigh cramps almost immediately. Then my hips started to cramp. This is what I get for training on my tri bike only two weeks before this race. Or should I say "lack" of training.
There was a point on the course where there was a big climb. The crowds lined the streets like the TDF. There was even a person in a Devil outfit chasing people up the hill. Very cool!

I need more than two weeks, or a handful of rides on my triathlon bike before racing on it. I ride a road bike as well and was training for a century just before this triathlon. If I were smart I would have parked the road bike 2 months ago and got my body used to the "tri" bike and position.
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Ran out of T2 without my race belt. Had to turn around and go back to get it. Stupid mistake #3 of this race. I know better!

Stop and think.
Run
  • 46m 17s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

The run. Here's where everything crumbled and I made the most embarrassing mistake of any race I've been in.
I ran as hard as I could. My legs and body were fatigued but I pushed on past my threshold. I can hang myself out for a 10k. Anyway, there was a lollipop section where they split runners from the pack to run a loop around a couple of blocks of downtown. Several volunteers were yelling out different things, such as...."Turn Left Twice..." or "First loop to the left"....etc. I turned and did my loop, which had me passing the volunteers three times total, which I thought was the course. Turned out I missed the loop the second time, which shortened my total run course to about 5 miles, not 6.2. I did not find out about this until later in the day....I finished on the clock at 2:32:--. Not my fastest time, but better than I thought I was doing....but this wasn't my REAL time....here is where the F-up came in.

Back at T2 after the race was over I asked the guy standing next to me how he did. He said..."Not very well. I missed the second loop and shortened my run. I'll probably be DNF'd". Shucks, I thought to myself. As I continued to pack up my transition area I heard a group of five other athletes talking behind me. They were talking to each other about missing the second loop. The result of this conversation was four out of five of this group missed the second loop. So out of the 6 people standing around my transition area, 5 of them missed this mystery second loop. Later in the day I told my wife..."I can't believe these guys missed the second loop"....NOT KNOWING THAT I AM ONE OF THOSE GUYS!!! The more I started adding up the numbers in my head it didn't make since. Based off of my swim and bike time I would have ran 5 min/miles in order to finish in the time that I did. F***!!!! F***!!! F***!!! I'm an idiot!

End of the story. I GPS'd the loop I missed which was 1.2 miles. Adding this distance to my "actual" run time had me running 7.5 min/miles, which is my actual speed. The times you see in my log are what I actually would have finished. The time recorded as my official results show 10 minutes faster, which is inaccurate. Apparently I wasn't alone. I'm guessing hundreds of other athletes made the same mistake I made, which makes me feel a little better. The race officials can't fix this problem because there wasn't a timing mat on this apparent Second Loop, so they have no idea who DID or DIDN'T do this additional distance.

I wasn't planning on doing a race report, partially out of embarrassment and partially because this wasn't my A race of the year, but a few BT friends suggested I do one so that others can learn from my mistake or commiserate if they did this race and made the same mistake.

My first mistake was not to train properly for this race. I didn't take it real seriously thinking I could just pull a great race out of my arse. It didn't happen this time. I blame the error I made on the course mainly on my fatigue and inattention. I could blame the race directors for making this last minute change to the run course and for the volunteers yelling out unintelligable directions. Obviously I wasn't the only one who made this course error, but ultimately it's the athletes responsibility to pay attention. If 100% of the field would have missed the turn then I would think differently.
Post race
Event comments:

Lesson learned. Every now and then a person can pull a good race out of his/her arse with little or no training. The mistake is when you depend on pulling this off. I depended on it and "it" wasn't there. I had a bad race. I made multiple mistakes, and I learned a lot from them.

As far as a first time race venue, Des Moines rocked the house. This was an awesome event and an amazing course (even with the hiccups). Course support was top notch. The crowds were huge. The finish line was very much like an Ironman finish, which bleachers and a tunnel of people. Very cool! Well done Hy-Vee! Well done.

Last updated: 2007-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:38 | 1640 yards | 02m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: One big t-shaped loop. Out, turn right, turn left, turn left, turn left, turn left again then home....
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:49
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:44 | 24.85 miles | 22.68 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: This course was awesome. Lots of straights with a few climbs. Nothing crazy.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:17 | 06.21 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Relativey flat with one big hill at the end.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-06-18 6:31 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Hy-Vee Triathlon

2007-06-18 7:57 PM
in reply to: #849628

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Hy-Vee Triathlon

Well, lessons I learned I suppose .

It sounded like you had a great time out there, and that's the most important thing. That really is a bummer about the run course...I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you enjoy the rest of your season. Oh, and maybe get in the pool every now and then .

2007-06-18 9:31 PM

User image

Regular
Don't worry too much about missing the second loop. I nearly did the same thing. I started heading up the hill and looked at my watch only to see that I was at 32 minutes or so and I knew the finish line was a few minutes away. I quickly realized that something was wrong and turned around, walked back to meet the next runner going up the hill and asked if we had to complete two full laps. Much to my disappointment he said yes. It was confusing and certainly we are in no frame of mind to be thinking too much at the 5 mile point of the run of an Olympic tri.

I agree about the crowds, especially the guys on the hill and the devil. Did he tell anyone to pop a wheelie as you went by? That cracked me up.
2007-06-19 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Wow, that sounds like a messy race, but not your fault- a T-shaped swim, that just sounds confusing!!!  You're not supposed to have to 'look' for where to go during a race!  You had great splits thought and you'll just kick butt again next year..hopefully they'll have the course figured out by then.  AND, don't think you're an idiot for messing up the run...it's almost like the people that got it right are the idiots b/c they were in the minority!
2007-06-19 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

Okay, first of all-you're being WAY to hard on yourself. You had a great race. Great race. Bike split was awesome. Run-well...I truly don't think you can blame yourself. I don't know the situation, but to change the course like that, and not have better educated volunteers...well, there's bound to be confusion. Not your fault. Most people spend weeks before looking at course maps, asking questions if they have them, etc., so to change at the last minute without a briefing or something sucks. I know there are probably instances where it can't be helped but dang-have a briefing. Anyway, your times on the run were smoking. Swim-eh, what can you say? That's your limiter and you were focusing on a century ride that happened recently. Overall, I think you had an awesome race!!!!

And 6 am is a dang early time to start a race and get everything going on time.

2007-06-19 12:42 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Race reports, no matter how ugly/embarrassing are always good to read.  They both inspire and educate.

Congrats on the race, even if it was mistake prone.

2007-06-20 8:37 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Nice report Oi! 

I wish I could pull a 2:42 OLY without training.  I'll be doing good to do that with my training (shooting for <2:40, but this is getting sketchy)

2007-06-20 9:08 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Ahh... the race is more about the effort than the time anyway. The only problem I see is you got cheated out of 1.2 miles because the course wasn't marked well. That's an awesome bike split by the way!
2007-06-20 9:30 AM

User image

Congrats on a great race! Don't be so hard on yourself - the run course was very confusing. It was never clear during the pre-race meetings or on any maps that we were to go past the "decision point" three times.

Great job on the bike - I agree the course was awesome. I never rode my bike as fast as I did during this event. It felt comfortable and relaxed the entire way. I loved the guy in the devil costume telling us to pop wheelies!

It looks like the official times didn't give you the 2-hour penalty for cutting the run short. Are you sure you didn't run a 10K in 36:17? That's obviously flying, but it isn't preposterous at slightly under 6-minute pace. I haven't looked at your training logs to see what you usually run.

Anyway, great job - hope to see you back here in DSM next year.
2007-06-20 9:44 AM
in reply to: #852015

User image

Elite

robfornoff - 2007-06-20 9:30 AM Congrats on a great race! Don't be so hard on yourself - the run course was very confusing. It was never clear during the pre-race meetings or on any maps that we were to go past the "decision point" three times. Great job on the bike - I agree the course was awesome. I never rode my bike as fast as I did during this event. It felt comfortable and relaxed the entire way. I loved the guy in the devil costume telling us to pop wheelies! It looks like the official times didn't give you the 2-hour penalty for cutting the run short. Are you sure you didn't run a 10K in 36:17? That's obviously flying, but it isn't preposterous at slightly under 6-minute pace. I haven't looked at your training logs to see what you usually run. Anyway, great job - hope to see you back here in DSM next year.

Rob, what you're seeing is a 2:00 minute penalty, not 2 hour.  The athletes who received this most likely got caught by officials on the bike course, most likely violating passing or drafting rules. 

2007-06-20 3:32 PM

User image

Yes, but look at the bottom of the age group lists - there are multiple entries of competitors who received 2 hour penalties - the penaly reads 2:00:00. Almost always, those competitors had run splits that were either 1. incredibly fast, or 2. way out of proportion to their swim and bike times.

2007-06-20 5:16 PM
in reply to: #853003

User image

Elite

robfornoff - 2007-06-20 3:32 PM Yes, but look at the bottom of the age group lists - there are multiple entries of competitors who received 2 hour penalties - the penaly reads 2:00:00. Almost always, those competitors had run splits that were either 1. incredibly fast, or 2. way out of proportion to their swim and bike times.

Ah ha!  I didn't look at the bottom.
Interesting.

What a mess.

Edited by oipolloi 2007-06-20 5:16 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon Rss Feed