General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Westminster, Maryland
United States
Joanna M. Nicolay Melanoma Foundation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 51s
Overall Rank = 15/274
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/26
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:45, banana for breakfast, and out the door at 6:15 (t's nice when the race venue is only 9 miles from my house). Check-in, packet pickup, and body marking were well run and went very quickly. I got set up in the transition area (had a nearly perfect location), did what little warm-up I was going to do. I was lined up for the start just as the national anthem started, perfect timing.
Event warmup:

10 minute stretching routine at the house. Ran for a couple minutes around parking lot to get my heart rate up prior to the start. I didn't get into the pool early enough for a swimming warm-up since both pools were being used for the race this year.
Swim
  • 06m 36s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was seeded 17th with a 5:30 estimated seed time, which to me indicated some pretty stiff competition, or a lot of people entered a low seed time to get an early start in the race. I was not scheduled to enter the water in the first 'wave' of 16, but there were a couple no-shows and I was off at the gun. Unfortunately, there was mass confusion in the first wave of swimmers about what lane to swim in and many just took any lane they wanted, and a few of us found other swimmers in our lanes and had to waste 15-20 seconds finding another open lane. This could have been averted with beter instructions from the volunteers running the swim assignments before the race began. (unfortunately, one swimmer who lost 20+ seconds or so in the confusion actually lost the overall race by only 10 seconds).

As I finally got into the water I just swam a steady 400. I paid no attention to where others were in the water and worked hard on my turns, glides, and pace. I've been training to hit a 1:27 or lower pace in my 400 M swim and I think I was right on pace. I don't know my actual swim time since the swim split includes the run from the start line to the pool, and from the pool to the timing mat at the entrance to the transition area.

Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Un-eventful. I probably could have been faster getting on my shirt and cycling gloves, and the run with the bike was pretty long.
Bike
  • 43m 20s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.38 mile/hr
Comments:

My strategy on this course is to gain as much in the first third of the course. The hills are gentle here so I used my big chain ring and hammered in a high gear. I passed two in this section and only got passed by one bike. For the rest of the race, there were no passes other than one other rider with whom I traded positions on and off the entire race.

Once I hit the hills on Gillis Falls Rd I hammered down the hills to get as much speed as possible to carry me up the climbs. I had to come out of the saddle a couple times on the ascents. I spent most of the remaining bike ride trying to catch the guy ahead of me. I'd get pretty close to him then he'd gain on me again. Unfortunately he missed a turn on the course (the volunteer wasn't there) so when I actually caught him it was because he had to turn around and backtrack. Not much satisfaction passing a guy under those conditions. He and I entered the transition area at the same time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Helmet and gloves off, bike shoes off, running shoes on. Grabbed my number belt and was off. I put on my number belt as I was running.
Run
  • 22m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of T2 trying to establish a fast cadence right away. I set my watch to beep every minute on the run, and I counted my cadence (strides per minute) every other minute, aiming for 90 spm. The first half of the run I was averaging between 86 and 88 spm. Then at the midway point it increased to 90 as I turned and headed downhill. I alternated 1 minute recovery/1 minute counting my cadence to keep up my pace. It worked and I was able to keep my average pace just over 7 minute miles. I crossed the finish line and saw the race clock was 1:14 and some change and I knew I hit my personal best for this course.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was not only the fastest 5K I've run in a sprint triathlon, it's the fastest 5K I've run period.
Post race
Event comments:

I thought I had an outside chance of re-claiming third place in my age group this year if I had a good race, and after a great race in May (Columbia Triathlon) I was feeling pretty optimistic. My previous best on this course was 1:16:30 which was good enough for a 3rd place finish. I knew I beat that by nearly 2 minutes, but I had no idea who else in my age group had finished faster. So, I went home and told a friend who was volunteering to pick up my medal if I made it into the top 3. Later that day I got a call saying I won my age group. It took 16 triathlons for me to get my first age group win.

Last updated: 2007-05-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:36 | 437 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/26
Overall: 0/274
Performance: Average
6:36 split includes the run (and confusion) from the start line and across the mat, and the run from the pool to the timing mat at the transition area. Actual swim time was closer to 5:45.
Suit:
Course: 400 Meter pool swim (16 lengths) with a staggered start. Starting order is determined by the seed time for a 400M swim. The start is on land, where all swimmers are lined up from fastest to slowest swim time. At the start, the first 16 swimmers run across a timing mat and enter the pool. As each swimmer exits the pool, another swimmer runs across the mat and takes the vacant lane slot. This goes on until all participants swim. Once in the water, swimmers split a lane and swim side-by-side. Volunteers from the SCSC youth swim team are the lap counters.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:20 | 14 miles | 19.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/26
19.3 mph average is a PR for me on this hilly course, and the fastest average I've posted in any race.
Wind: None
Course: 14 miles on rolling county roads. The first 4 miles are on Md Rt 94 and make up the fastest section of the course. The middle third of the race has several steep descents, each followed by a steep ascent. Gillis Falls Road is a nice roller coaster with 3 successive down and up hills. The speed on the downs can easily hit 40 mph, and the ups can have you out of the saddle for a bit. The final third of the race is more rolling, with one final steep ascent on Skidmore Road to get back to the transition area. For its distance, this is a fairly challenging bike course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:11 | 03.11 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/26
Course: From the swim club the run starts running down the club driveway, then a right turn onto Liberty Road, out to the halfway point. This first half of the run is a net uphill, though it's a gradual climb. From the turn-around point to the base of the swim club driveway it's fast and lots of downhill running. The race finishes up the driveway to the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-19 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri

2007-06-19 8:42 PM
in reply to: #851484

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri
Wow. Congratulations on the age group win, the course PR, and the overall 5k PR. Quite impressive. Your training was spot on. Your strategy for the bike is also right on.
That is really something that this was your best 5k run, especially since the first 1/2 of the run is all uphill. Well done.
2007-06-20 11:52 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
congrats on the AG win!!!
2007-06-20 11:58 AM
in reply to: #852390

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Awesome!  Congrats on the AG win and being part of the BT double!
2007-06-21 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Nice job in the race this past week - congrats on all mentioned above. 

Psst - lose the bike gloves and you'll save some time.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed