Northeast Running Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 27m 9s
Overall Rank = 129/203
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/11
Pre-race routine:

This was my first evening race so I didn't know quite what to do. I made sure I ate a pretty big lunch and then ate a Snickers Marathon bar and drank water during the hour car ride to the event. My friend Sue and her son Charlie went too. This was Charlie's first 5k ever. Fun!
Event warmup:

Jogged around some. Walked around trying to scope out the competition. heehee!
Run
  • 27m 9s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Warm! That was the word for this run. Temps were still close to 80 degrees at the 7pm start time. My goal was to go sub 27:00. The run started off down a hill and then flattened out. I had looked at the course map, but after the first mile I was so confused about where I was. LOL! Good thing there were lots of volunteers and everything was well marked. The first mile I found a guy about my age to pace off of, but ended up passing him eventually. Then another guy in a white and blue singlet passed me and I used him to pace off of. At the halfway point, there was a water stop and I grabbed a cup and dumped it on my head. Shortly after that there was the girl with the garden hose. That was THE BEST! Then me and the white/blue singlet guy caught up to, but didn't pass, a guy in a red shirt and I paced off of both of them. Around the start of mile three I caught up to Sue's son Charlie and passed him. I was getting VERY hot at this point and there was an evilly placed hill. I settled into a pretty good rhythm after recovering from the hill. The white/blue singlet guy and the red shirt guy started picking up the pace and I couldn't keep up. Then with about 1/4 mile left this blur goes running by me. It was Sue's son Charlie passing me back. I couldn't believe how fast he passed me. LOL! Speedy young whippersnappers! Sue finished maybe 15-20 seconds behind me.
What would you do differently?:

Nada. It was just too hot to push any harder than I did.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked into the food area and started eating: pizza, muffins, pasta salad, cookies, raspberry lemonade. It was all yummy. Charlie was right there with me eating. Sue said she couldn't believe the two of us were eating that quick after finishing such a hot race. Well, I was feeling a little like puking the last mile of the race, but it's amazing at how quickly that feeling just goes away. Food is yummy!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual plus the heat. Didn't quite reach my goal, but oh so very close. This was a new PB for a stand alone 5k.

Event comments:

This was a very nice local 5k with LOTS of post race food and an excellent goodie bag.

Last updated: 2007-06-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:09 | 03.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 129/203
Performance: Good
I swear I wrote down my splits, but can't find them. Mile one and mile two were identical at 8:50, I think. That puts mile 3.1 at 9:29 which is an 8:37 pace.
Course: The streets and paved fitness trails of Deepwood Center in Mentor, Ohio.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-22 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: Flag Day 5k

2007-06-22 10:53 AM
in reply to: #855798

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Flag Day 5k
SWEET job drdi! Late day races are rough and you hung tough in the heat... Congrats on the PB! You will crush your goal in a morning race...
2007-06-23 5:03 PM
in reply to: #855798

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Flag Day 5k
Good job getting through that race.  Good job finding targets to attack, then getting them.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Flag Day 5k Rss Feed