General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Philadelphia Triathlon, LLC
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 37s
Overall Rank = 221/708
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 55/
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4:30 and ate my normal breakfast of coffee and oatmeal and banana. Relaxed and focused and thought through my day. I got to the race about 10 minutes before the transition opened. Got my bike ready, milled around, checked in. I got the 2nd space closeset to the aisle. Had my handy little transition area layout sheet so I could get myself oraganized.
Event warmup:

Went out on bike for about 10 minutes. Did some quick pick-ups to get hr going. Otherwise just fiddles w/ my gears. Got scared when I couldn't get my cadence computer working. Fiddled with it for a minute and all was right. Then hopped into water for about a 300 easy wu. Did a slow build-up out into water and then easy swim back to shore.
Swim
  • 17m 29s
  • 984 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very fist OW swim race. The begining was interesting. I tried to get myself into the lead pack. But I had 2 slower girls on either side of me bascially boxing me in. The only way around them was for me to stop completely and go around, really ticked me off. I was pretty worked up and sucking in alot of water. I wasn't able to bi-lateral breath until at least 500 in. Once I got into a less congested area, I really hit my groove. I started kicking about 200 out and at about 20 feet from the swim finish, I thought someone was pulling my arm. It ended up being a wooden 2x4 covered in rusty nails...SWEET! I didn't get scratched, thank god. I just kept going.
What would you do differently?:

Not much since it was my first time. I was prepared, but you can never know how it's going to be goign in. I *might* have swam a bit harder, but everyone probably thinks that.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

I was WAY out of it coming into T1. But I just focused on helmet on, glasses on, shoes on, bike, let's run.

Nothing, it went perfect.
Bike
  • 53m 52s
  • 14.91 miles
  • 16.61 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt very good on the bike. I was happy to be out of the water and on dry land. The course was a bit harder at spots then I had hoped for, but overall, I enjoyed it. I definetly can ride much faster then I posted. But I have only had a week with my new bike, so I had that workign against me. Also, I've heard so many stories about people going way too hard on the bike and screwing up their run. My run is so weak, I was holding back to make sure I had juice for it. Oh, my feet went numb halfway through. I don't think it affected me tho, so no biggie.

I would push at more of a race pace. I honestly felt like I was trainign for a normal day. I just enjoyed that course so much, I wanted to stay longer! lol
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

I had issues pushing my bike on ground. So I just picked it up and ran. I think I did fine, at least my time compared to other was decent.

Nothing really.
Run
  • 28m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Grrrrrr...my dreaded run! I felt great coming off the bike. Although my feet were numb for the first mile. No big deal. That first mile though seemed to take forever!!! I just kept reminding myself that it's just 3 miles and I can do it. Once I relaxed, it was easier to run. I got passed alot though which pissed me off. I thought though going in I would do about a 9min mile, and thats what I did. A 5k PR for me :-)

Push myself harder. I was never once on the verge of real pain or major discomfort. I know I can go a bit harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Does hugging my friends count?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fear of my run. I was so scared I would cramp and have to walk, I held back. Also my inexperience held me back from pushing harder.

Event comments:

I am happy with my time, its right about what I was hoping for. I am pissed that my AG was so darn competitive. I was hoping for a better overall finish. There was a pro in my ag that finished 3rd....3rd!!!! I mean, what chance did I have when I pro can't get 1st in a sprint. I would have got 4-7th in the other ag's. Owell, thats out of my control I guess.

Last updated: 2007-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:29 | 984 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 93/708
Performance: Good
Suit: Quintana Roo sleeveless/short
Course: An easy traingle type course. About a 300 straight into a right turn, then another right back down straight 300 again. Ended w/ one last sharp right back into transition.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:52 | 14.91 miles | 16.61 mile/hr
Overall: 320/708
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Mixture of flats and hills and quite a number of turns. It was flat right out followed quickly by 2 very technical hills. Then it was nice easy loops around 2 ball fields back to the across the bridge and flats. Did the loop twice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:15 | 03.11 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Overall: 432/708
Performance: Average
Course: An easy out and back on pavement.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-24 4:58 PM

Veteran
Philadelphia
Subject: Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Sprint Distance

2007-06-24 5:06 PM
in reply to: #857683

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Sprint Distance

Hey girl, great job on your first tri ever!!!

Don't beat yourself up over holding back on the bike. It's a learning experience. Now you know that with that bike effort, you had enough left to hit a 5K PR, so next time you can try going a little harder and see how that affects you.

Great job. It was a beautiful day for the race. I did the Oly today...I think you were doing the swim leg of an Oly relay? I hope you enjoyed. A great weekend of racing for you.

Good job, triathlete !!

2007-06-24 5:08 PM
in reply to: #857690

Champion
South Jersey
And, yes, the 25-29 AG has become extremely competitive...but, then they'll all move up to the 30-34 with us when we make it up there .
2007-06-24 7:22 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Great job - especially for a first river swim!  UFO's (unidetified floating objects) in the water are NEVER pleasant.  Congrats on a great race! 

I had fun spectating & hope to do one of the Philly races next year. 

2007-06-25 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Congrats on the first race! Even with holding back its sounds like you had a really solid race. The 1st one is more about just getting some experience than anything else. now that you know what to expect you can start actually racing. And the good news is that you will get faster on the run. Congrats!
2007-06-25 12:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Great RACES this weekend Amanda! You did really well! Now you have your base to figure out goals for future races. You smoked me on the swim by the way for the OLY! Wished we met up at some point but I am sure we will do a couple training scessions sometime this year together. Take care and be proud of yourself and your 1st place relay finish!

2007-06-26 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ

Nice race!.  Wow you were up early.  You were at transition while I was still sleeping.  My wave didn't go off until 8:35 so I had some time.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Triathlon in Fairmount Park - Sprint Distance Rss Feed