Annapolis Bicycle Racing Team
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = ITT Men 40+
Age Group Rank = 14/18
Pre-race routine:

Great big Southwestern omelet, banana. Loaded the truck and did nature's bidness. By this time Dave had arrived, so off we went.
I had accidentally signed up in the 40+ category - that was a mistake. When we checked in, they said they'd move me into Cat-5, but that didn't happen. Not that it really mattered. In a TT, BOP looks alot like MOP looks alot like FOP. The only difference was that I was expecting to get passed alot starting out with the big boys.
This was quite a different scene from a triathlon. The first thing that stood out was that most everybody was on a trainer. There were canopy tents set up. It looked like a tailgate party minus the beer and bratwurst.
Event warmup:

After check in at Cambridge-S. Dorchester HS, we rode ~5mi to the start on Rt.335. I just checked out the procedure, and waited until Dave went off (~9:00). After that I rode a few more miles looking for a suitable cornfiled. Fortunately, the fire station was open for us to use the restrooms.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 30s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.48 mile/hr
Comments:

My plan was to break the race down into thirds, and increase intensity between each third. So my goal HR ranges were 135-140/140-145/>150. That went out the window within about the first 100 ft. I was pretty keyed up, and we started with a tailwind, so I was rolling right from the start. I was 24-25mph for the first mile or so, looked down at my HRM, saw 156, then said, "To heck with it, lets see what we've got." So, Plan B was just to ride hard the whole way, but leave a little for the end. As with most time trials, I'm sure, it was pretty uneventful. I got passed at about 2.7 mi like I was standing still "Good grief". Rt 335 was fun, but then we turned onto rougher roads and into the wind. Speed and fun simultaneously decreased. During this stretch I passed a guy riding a Soloist (2' ahead), and he passed me right back. I hung with him, then passed him again. I was pushing pretty hard to stay ahead of him, and I dropped my head for a second and, because of the sun being from behind, caught sight of his shadow under my foot. "You wheel-sucking SOB!!" I swerved to the left, and he pulled up along side me. We rode neck and neck for a while. I noticed we were at mile 15, so I said to him, "We gonna be able to keep this up for 10 more miles?" He muttered something, but evidently his answer was, "No." I pulled away and he dropped out of sight. Finally got back to Rt16 and turned East. Smooth road and the wind was now cross to favoring, so speed picked up again. I kept counting down the miles and was able to hold the intensity up. Dave waiting for me on his way to Bobby's. Nice pick-me-up coming down the stretch. I was hammering toward the finish, but an official was standing in the middle of the finish chute. I yelled and he moved enough to get out of my way. I could care less about the second or two he cost me, but what was he thinking? Along the way, I got passed by 4 riders and passed 3 myself. Getting passed was actually a good thing. Time trials are as much mental as physical. I could feel myself getting comfortable from time to time, not pushing as hard, not staying on the edge. When I got passed, I'd try to hang with the other rider as long as I could. So, it made me up the intensity, at least for a time.
Overall, pretty pleased with the effort.
Had I registered as a Cat-5, I would have been 6/21 instead of 14/18. I'm actually quite happy that I was a couple rungs off the bottom in the 40+.
What would you do differently?:

Register in the right category. Other than that, not much. My first time trial, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Would I have done better had I taken it easier in the beginning? I need to try out different pacing schemes and study what strategy good TTers employ.
I didn't take any water or fuel with me. I counted on being on the course for a little over an hour, and made sure I was topped off before I started. Figure I'd save a few seconds lightening the load and not slowing down to drink. Would a few calories/liquid have helped my performance?
Post race
Warm down:

Rode back to C-SD HS. DQ on the way back home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ability.

Event comments:

This race, like last week's OWS, added a nice dose of diversity to the race schedule.
A few post-race munchies would have been nice, but for $20, you can't beat the price. I suppose the time trial format doesn't lend itself to good post-race activities, either, since riders are scattered out in time from 8:00 to after 12:00

Last updated: 2007-06-23 12:00 AM
Biking
01:03:30 | 24.85 miles | 23.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
8.33mi 21:03 23.7mph HR=153 8.33mi 22:08 22.6mph HR=151 8.19mi 20:18 24.2mph HR=151
Wind: Little
Course: Loop. Started on 335 near 335/16 intersection, turned onto Smithville Rd, then finished on 16 near start.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-25 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: Church Creek Time Trial - 40K

2007-06-25 8:43 PM
in reply to: #858444

Pro
yep,
Subject: RE: Church Creek Time Trial - 40K

Great TT, I'm sure being in the Cat 5 category would have made a ton of difference.

2007-06-26 6:51 AM
in reply to: #858444

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Subject: RE: Church Creek Time Trial - 40K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Church Creek Time Trial - 40K Rss Feed