General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flovilla, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = /522
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 14/24
Pre-race routine:

Got up, forgot to eat the breakfast I had laid out, and drove to the park. Stopped at McDonald's on the way. I set up transition and saw Lou, Leslie, and Ron. Got down to the beach about 15 minutes before the start and chatted with people I know. Drank way too little.
Event warmup:

Short swim in the lake.
Swim
  • 14m 36s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Some day I will stick to my plan and start near the front. I can swim faster than the majority of the clydes and I still can't bring myself to swim over people. For the first half of the swim I felt like I was swimming in slow motion because full strokes would cause me to run into the people ahead of me. I had about 200 yards of pretty open water but then I ran into alot of people from the two waves ahead of me. I was thirsty before the start and, while on the beach, realized that I had only had about 4 oz. to drink that morning.
What would you do differently?:

Definitely start towards the front and push it. There's no reason for me to be slower than 1:45 100's in a sprint. Drink more the morning of the race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

I'm not sure why my time was so bad here, other than having trouble putting on my socks.

Try going sockless?
Bike
  • 42m 50s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 17.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good on the bike. For the first time I was actually passing people! And only a few of them were on mountain bikes. I only got passed by two people and I must of passed 25 or 30. I was in the next-to-last wave with only the novices and relays behind me so I should not have been passed much. I dropped my chain twice, costing me less than a minute each time (once it came off the lower pulley of the rear derailleur too) but I was able to chase down those who went by both times. My goal was to average 18 mph for the ride and I almost did that even with the chain delays.

Be more careful with my shifting. Both times I dropped my chain I was trying to shift while in the aerobars. I have an older ('82) bike with downtube shifters so it's a little bit of a challenge to shift while in aero.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Not a bad transition. I did not run all the way up the hill and out the run exit.

Run all the way.
Run
  • 31m 57s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where I fell apart. I probably pushed too hard on the bike and I definitely was dehydrated. I ran a little too fast for the first half mile and then started walking the hills. By this time it was too late to catch up on hydration. I also have been doing mostly long runs and slow 5k's with my running group. I need to start doing more speed work and race pace runs.

Drink more starting days in advance. Not push quite so hard on the bike. Do more running at race pace. More bricks too.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to find friends. Drank 3 full bottles of water in the hour after the race. I waited around to see Rebecca and Dan get their hardware before heading to Fresh Air Barbeque for a recovery meal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not following my game plan with nutrition, hydration, and placement on the swim. It was still only my third tri and I have two more sprints before I tackle the South Carolina HIM.

Event comments:

The race was great. It's my performance that wasn't.

Last updated: 2007-05-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:36 | 656 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/522
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:50 | 12.8 miles | 17.93 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:57 | 03.1 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Rolling hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-25 9:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Roswell, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park

2007-06-25 9:58 AM
in reply to: #858470

User image

Veteran
Smyrna
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park

Felix - it was awesome racing with you on Saturday and congratulations on the race!  I know that you took away a look of 'learning points', but I also want to remind you how far you have come in the short year that you have been doing the races.  Your improvement on the bike is incredible!!!

Great job on the race!  It was fun hanging out with you and group afterwards.

2007-06-25 11:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats Felix. You may have not felt like you a had a great performance but you did. Get over that fear of not starting at the front of your wave for the swim. Just do it. I know you can swim faster than me and I think if you place yourself at the start of the wave, your times will reflect your swimming better. I think what you talk about doing to help improve bike and run times is right on, but as Rebecca said you should be really proud of all you've accomplished in the last year, and then focus on what you need to do to get where you want to be! I'm sorry we didn't get to chat more over barbeque but thanks for recommending it - I really enjoyed it!
2007-06-25 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Great job, Felix!  You're starting to get dialed-in and it won't be long before you're totally crushing it out there!!  Keep it up. 
2007-06-25 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Nice job on the race felix! Dont get too caught up being hard on yourself- you still had a great race and it was a good learning experience for next time. Great race!
2007-06-25 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA
I would say... go to Bonehead's for dinner and forget about it.

2007-06-25 4:02 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I think you did a fine job.  Good race and way to take away some learning lessons.  Hydration is very important and too many people fail to realize it until it's too late. 

One race at a time.  Keep up the great work and the stellar improvement.

2007-06-25 5:23 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
You did a great job - don't be so hard on yourself!! Starting toward the front on the swim can be intimidating, but I think it makes such a big difference in your swim time (not that I've done it yet, but from reading other people's reports ). You have made HUGE strides in your bike and run over the last year - I'm very excited for you!!!
2007-06-25 8:04 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
I think every race has a lesson in it, it's just a matter of actually seeing it. This is only your third race, don't be so hard on yourself, you have made huge improvements! It seems that this was a really fast race and you can never control who shows up for a race. You're doing great and if you keep it up you'll definitely continue to see improvement!
2007-06-26 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Felix, not a bad time for only your third race.  I'm sure you'll improve over your next races and do great at SC HIM.  It was great to meet you at Fresh Air.

Das vee danya  (ok, I can only speak a little, not write it).

Craig

2007-06-27 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia

It is quite amazing that you call this performance disappointing.  Just think what you would have thought about this a year ago.  I mean, 2.25 min/100 swim, almost 18mph on the bike and 10min+ miles;  that's not too bad at all.

Great job, Felix.  Keep up the good work.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Indian Springs State Park Rss Feed