Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2008-04-22 8:54 AM
in reply to: #867769

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Silverman

When I was on my heavy side, I used to have major lower back problems, and the primary method of fixing it from a coach was core work. He had me work on my stomach and my lower back. First is was a slow process, but then it got better and better. Now I can do 80 mile rides, and have just about no problems at all. Off course, instead of being at 304 lbs, I'm now in my 230's and that helps a lot also.

Just keep it working slowly, and you will get there. Work on nutrition and basic training.

As coach Sutton would see it, at the end of the day, it is more mental then truly physical. Just push it through, and all kinks will work themselves out.

Cheers.

2008-04-22 8:59 AM
in reply to: #1353640

User image

lasvegas99 - 2008-04-21 10:24 PM

Well hope all is well with everyone..  I am starting to think that my big azz is meant to do other things.  I finally got my hip all better and was in about my third week of training for November and bent over to pick up a pencil on the floor and my back went out....  !!  Going to the Orthopediist in the am to see what the hell is going on.  Chewing on Valium, Lortab and Percocets for three days the pain is so bad.  I guess better now than about a week away from the race, but this stuff is killing me.  Really discouraging right now.  Lost about 15 pounds since Silverman last year and now this. 

Any ideas on what others do to keep the low back in good shape to avoid this kind of thing?

Congrats to those of you who made the Rage, I really planned on coming out but since I did this to my back on Friday night, there was no way in hell I was making it out of bed saturday morning to watch ya.. 

Please help...

What Hans said is good advise regarding the core work.

I have some nagging lower back issues sometiems and the primary reason for them in my opinion is tight ham strings. They tighten up pull on what they connect to, that pulls on something else then it ends up pulling on the lower back muscles.

Add some STRETCHING or more STRETCHING into your routine. Hope you are feeling better soon.

2008-04-22 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1353969

User image

Sensei
Sin City
crusevegas - 2008-04-22 6:59 AM
lasvegas99 - 2008-04-21 10:24 PM

Well hope all is well with everyone..  I am starting to think that my big azz is meant to do other things.  I finally got my hip all better and was in about my third week of training for November and bent over to pick up a pencil on the floor and my back went out....  !!  Going to the Orthopediist in the am to see what the hell is going on.  Chewing on Valium, Lortab and Percocets for three days the pain is so bad.  I guess better now than about a week away from the race, but this stuff is killing me.  Really discouraging right now.  Lost about 15 pounds since Silverman last year and now this. 

Any ideas on what others do to keep the low back in good shape to avoid this kind of thing?

Congrats to those of you who made the Rage, I really planned on coming out but since I did this to my back on Friday night, there was no way in hell I was making it out of bed saturday morning to watch ya.. 

Please help...

What Hans said is good advise regarding the core work.

I have some nagging lower back issues sometiems and the primary reason for them in my opinion is tight ham strings. They tighten up pull on what they connect to, that pulls on something else then it ends up pulling on the lower back muscles.

Add some STRETCHING or more STRETCHING into your routine. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Yep - core work and stretching and patience.....  That's what it takes.  I still had a sore back after mile 50 or so the other day, but it was not NEARLY as bad as last Nov.  Takes time and focus on getting the back stronger.  Go slow though, the back is tricky.....

2008-04-24 9:41 AM
in reply to: #867769

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas

Thanks everyone.  I do agree on the core work.  I over did it on the core with addition of a leg workout and my back freaked out.  Feel 150% better but still waiting a few more days to get back to a little lifting.  Running and the bike will have to wait. 

I did go to my sports med guy who gave me the name of the coolest chiro doc in all of Las Vegas.  Dr. Denny Dumler at Valley spine and massage.  Next to LVAC, Eastern and 215.  He is AWESOME.  I have always had good luck with chiros but this guy is great. 

Talk to you guys later,  6 months, 14 days and 22 hours till the gun goes off!!!!!! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Silverman Rss Feed  

of 12