Sun Sport Events
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 49m 58s
Overall Rank = 227/502
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 20/36
Pre-race routine:

I didn’t get much sleep. Just 45 minutes of solid, continuous sleep before the alarm went off at 3:45 AM and I rolled out of bed for what turned out to be one of the best - and most trying - days of my life.

Dee and I (and Elvis) got to the race site around 5:45. The race wound up starting a little late, so I had plenty of time to set up transition and mull around, saying hello to everyone who came out to support Mark and I, including Dee, Julia, Mom, Dad, Dave, Michaela, Mike and his girl, and Mark’s mom.
Swim
  • 33m 26s
  • 2288 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Around 7:45, they called my wave into the starting ‘corral’. We crossed the timing mat and headed into the pond.

As I stood in the water waiting for the ‘go’, I looked out at the swim course. Without my glasses on, I could barely see the furthest bouys. They were faaaaar away. So instead, I thought about all the training that got me to this point. I stayed positive and told myself I was about to complete this race. I was going to meet my goal. I was ready.

I went off in the sixth swim wave… the green caps. The group spread out quickly and I was able to swim at my pace without worrying about someone trying to climb over me. In fact, this is the first race where I’ve felt comfortable for the entire swim.

The way out was pretty uneventful. I felt good and was doing well sighting. When we turned and swam parallel to shore, I started taking some waves to the face while breathing, causing me to gag a couple times, but nothing serious. My speed picked up quite a bit here too. When we rounded the bouy and started heading back towards shore, it was like someone strapped a rocket to my back. I started flying! Mostly, this was because the current (is this really even a lake?) was helping to push us along, but I was still able to pass a bunch of people.

Before the start, they had instructed us to keep all bouys to our left. So, coming into shore, there was one more big orange bouy marking the swim exit. I kept it to my left and nearly ran into a dock. Apparently, this one bouy was supposed to be on your right. That was kinda confusing and caused me to swim and extra 50 yards or so. But before I knew it, I was seeing the sandy bottom rocking back and forth below me. I stood up and started ripping off my wetsuit. As I ran into transition, I heard my personal cheering section explode with excitement. What an awesome feeling.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

I found my spot in T1 quickly and got ready for the bike. I took it a littler slower than usual and made sure I didn’t miss anything.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 47s
  • 59 miles
  • 20.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Of all three disciplines, I was most ready for the bike. I had ridden this course a bunch of times. And even though it was changed the day before the race (they switched a couple roads because of construction, adding 3 miles to the total), I knew what to expect.

I started out at a good pace. Not too easy, not too hard. Once again, I reminded myself that this is a long day and I had to be cautious. I settled in and began passing a ton of people from the swim waves that started before me. Around mile 5, I hopped off my bike and ducked behinda tree to pee. Thankfully, this was the only time I had to relieve myself on the bike course. I can be bad about that.

The course was beautiful. Well shaded and super fast, with just enough hills to keep you on your toes. I recorded about 1,500 feet of climbing for each loop. I was passing people on every hill , and I only got passed (permanently) by a couple of guys.

Around mile 28, I started getting antsy. I was averaging over 21 mph and couldn’t wait to come through the race site to let everyone know what a kickass ride I was having. I crested the final hill of the first loop and started seeing cars parked on the side of the road. I picked it up a little bit and came rolling past the crowd, only to hear Dee and the group explode with excitement again as they saw me again.

As brief as those moments may be, they’re definitely some of the highlights of any race.

First bike loop - 1:24

I was halfway done with the bike and feeling great. My nutritional plan seemed to be working well. I wouldn’t know for sure for a little while longer, but a quick system check said everything was a-ok. A gel every 30 minutes and two bottles of water on each loop, one of them with nuun.

At mile 40, I started slowing down slightly. The hills were getting just a little harder and my legs weren’t bouncing back as quickly as they had been. At mile 50 my neck started to get sore and my inner thighs started to chaffe. I watched my average speed start to drop. I was ready to be done with the bike, but I wasn’t ready to give up. I pushed on, desperately trying to hold a 20 mph average. I climbed the last hill and cruised in to finish up the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

I spent most of T2 trying not to think of the half marathon I was about to run. I quickly changed up, popped a couple salt tabs, grabbed my race belt and started running for the exit.
Run
  • 2h 13m 49s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran the first two miles at a 9:00 pace and felt great, but started slowing down once I hit the first sizeable hill. I quickly realized the run was going to be about small victories. So I made a deal with myself. If I could just focus on getting to the next aid station, I’d let myself walk for 30 seconds or so while I grabbed whatever I needed. Then I’d refocus and keep running.

At mile 2, I walked the aid station and began what would become my routine for the rest of the race. A cup of heed, wash it down with a sip of water and toss the remaining water in my face and over my head. The shocking effect of the cold water bath helped me forget about the pain in my legs for a second. I would say, “Ok, time to focus. I need to run a mile. No problem.” This turned out to be a great strategy. Especially when the mile markers painted on the road went awry and started indicating that I had run further than I actually had. Rather than get sucked into the mental game the markers were playing, I stayed focused on my goal. Just getting to the next aid station.

Around mile 7, my right knee and ankle started hurting. Around this same time, I saw something painted on the ground that inspired me to keep moving. “For all the 5 AM workouts.” Now, I haven’t been big on morning workouts. But it did make me think about the months of training sessions I put into getting to this point. I was so close to my goal. For the first time that day, I knew I was going to be able to finish.

I continued to walk at each aid station and tried my best to stay focused, but I was slowing down with each passing mile. It wasn’t until the last mile that I was able to pick up the pace again. As soon as I saw the camp, all my pain was gone. As I entered the camp, I saw Mike, who told me I only had a 1/4 mile to go. I sprinted with everything I had left down the final pathway, around a couple turns, across the wooden bridge and finally… finally I ran down the finishing chute.

“Here comes Christopher Simpkins, from Reading Massachusetts!” It was the first time in a race the announcer said my name. For a split second, I imagined him following it up with, “You are an ironman!” But he didn’t. This was ‘just’ a half ironman. This was my goal.

I thought about all the small victories that brought me to this point. Finding the will to go running when there was still snow on the ground, or cycling in the rain when my legs still hurt from the previous day’s workout, getting off the couch to begin training in the first place, or just trying to make it to the next mile. Each little victory had a part in getting me to this point, and they were all there with me at the end.

As I hit the finish line, I tossed my arms up and smiled. Nine months ago, it was something I never thought I’d be able to do. But here I was. I did it. And it felt better to cross that finish line than I ever could have imagined.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Interestingly enough, all 3 courses wound up being long. According to the results page, it was a 1.3 mile swim, a 59 mile bike and a 13.5 mile run. Had it been a true half iron, my calculations tell me I would’ve come in around 5:33:58. Not too shabby for my 4th traithlon and 1st half iron!

Last updated: 2007-01-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:26 | 2288 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 204/502
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The swim course was long... 1.3 miles.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:12
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:56:47 | 59 miles | 20.02 mile/hr
Overall: 131/502
159 avg, 172 max.
Wind: None
Course: They extended the bike course to 59 miles to bypass a bad section of road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:13:49 | 13.5 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 327/502
Performance: Average
149 avg, 176 max.
Course: The run course was also long, at 13.5 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-04 9:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Patriot Half Iron

2007-07-04 10:38 PM
in reply to: #872215

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Iron

Wow...congratulations on your 1st 1/2 iron.  What a great accomplishment!

2007-07-05 1:43 AM

Veteran
Great race report and congrats on your first HIM. I'm still working towards mine and reading these types of reports really helps with the motivation.
2007-07-05 7:16 AM

User image

Pro
MA

I've said it, and am saying it again.  started tri-ing this year, and have already "graduated" the OWS, sprints,  an Oly and a HIM, in 4 races.  Super!

Hey, *I* am one of your "jockstrappers", too.  And you didn't even mention how the BTers cheered for you when you came in the finish?  And at the end of the 1st bike loop?  And at T2??  sniff, sniff. 

Yeah, thta lake was strange.  I told my dad about the lake with current and white caps etc and he said "are you sure you're in MA?"

2007-07-05 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Great race! Way to focus on the run and push through the mental hurrdles of the day. You kicked for you first HIM.
2007-07-05 8:33 AM
in reply to: #872364

User image

Veteran
Celeb_ithil - 2007-07-05 8:16 AM

Hey, *I* am one of your "jockstrappers", too. And you didn't even mention how the BTers cheered for you when you came in the finish? And at the end of the 1st bike loop? And at T2?? sniff, sniff.

Awww maaaaaan!  I took the report from my website, where I didn't mention you guys because nobody would know who the heck I was talking about if I did!  ButI definitely haven't forgotten everyone.  Your 'Chris!' with a smile and a click of the shutter as I ran out of T2 will stay with me.

I saw isis54 on the bike course too.  As I came rolling up behind her, I yelled out "Is that someone from BT!?!  Who is that!?  Joanne!  Yeaaaaaaaaahhhhh!  Keep it up!  You're looking great!"  lol.  I hope I didn't scare her. 

And oh man, the finish was so loud.  You guys helped make a big day even bigger.  My wife was like, "Wow... you've only been doing this for a few months and you already know everyone."  HA!!  The BT gang is awesome!

I really wish I had gotten more of a chance to talk to everyone!

2007-07-05 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
See how fast your swim can be when in a straight line??!! LOl- I knew you would have a great race..you had such a positive can-do attitude & put in the traiing time & prep ..Am thrilled for you that it went as well as planned and have no doubt that you will be hearing the announcer say your name in assiciation with "AN IRONMAN" in the very near future..Congratulations on a successful 70.3 ..Great race!
2007-07-05 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

Congrats chirs!! you certainly DID rise to the occasion for this race!

Next time...say" get out of the way you old fart...PLEASE"  

2007-07-06 6:12 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats!!!!

You did an excellent job of executing your plan and staying mentally tough.

Well written race report...no doubt one day they will say that you are an Ironman!

4th tri and look how far you have come and fast to boot!

Awesome...just awesome! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Iron Rss Feed