Purdue Tri Club
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 50s
Overall Rank = 75/133
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/10
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6am made sure everything was packed and ready to go. Ate a bowl of oatmeal and went to pick up Eric (egates656) at the hotel.
Event warmup:

Didn't really warm up for this, set up transition, picked up packet and walked around looking for Jeff (Satchmo72) and Jeff (jlusk) and another guy who planned on doing the race, TJ. Talked with Eric about the event and checked out the swim course.
Swim
  • 29m 52s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well my goal was less than 40 min's and I would be happy. I told Eric that I had a dream I did it in 33 min's so under 30 is better than a dream for me. After my race 2 weeks ago (750m) I just wanted to finish this thing without help. Swam freestyle the whole way and got into a rhythm pretty quickly. The back straight was tough to site since we were swimming directly into the sun and I never saw the bouys until I was right on them. I also didn't know how many bouys there were as markers along the course and everytime I came upon one I thought this must be the finish only to find out they were orange and course markers, not the turn bouys. Overall, fantastic swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

I probably could swim this faster, hard to believe but I just kind of set the cruise control and focused on just swimming. I would also count the number of marker bouys to know how many there are between turns.
Transition 1
  • 04m 57s
Comments:

Getting out of the water we had a good long run up hill to tranistion that was probably 1/4 mile thru a grassy field. I had my bike set up so as I crested the hill it was the first thing I saw in the back of the transition area. I liked the location. Wetsuit was stuck on my heels and needed to sit to take it off. Other than that transition was pretty good. It was nice to see my son and Eric there cheering me on. I was told my 4yr old ran the whole way from the water to the transtion area following me yelling out that he was there. Very cool to see family and friends there.

Nothing much.
Bike
  • 1h 17m
  • 24.8 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I had ridden the bike course, or at least most of it so I knew what to expect. The first couple of hills were tough for my legs to adjust to since they weren't quite warmed up for the bike. The first 13 miles were into the wind and on one of the first hills I was going like 8.5mph. That wasn't any fun. In to the wind I had a hard time keeping the bike above 17.5-18.5mph and was hoping to eventually have that at my back. I was able to average 22-24mph on the way back for most of the ride. I was only passed twice and passed quite a few on the bike. However, I didn't have many behind me after my swim so there wern't many fast cyclist left I don't think.

Just more bike training. I have ridden about 800miles on my bike and need to go into the off season with a purpose. Planned hill workouts, bike trainer ect...
Transition 2
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

A decent transition, after dismounting bike you had a steep incline thru the grass to get up to the transition area. Only problem was I forgot the race number belt and had to turn around and get it.

Not forget race belt but I can see I have improved from my previous races.
Run
  • 53m 25s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't really have any legs to start this but being on grass and soft ground for the majority of the run was nice. There were some dirt roads we had to run on that had rocks the size of your fist all over the road/ground. I did my best to run off the dirt road and in the grass as much as I could. On the run start it became overcast and quite cool which helped a lot. The sun would peek thru occassionall and you could feel the heat. After the first lap, Eric yelled out my time of 2:24 and told me I was going to break 3 hrs. I had a little over 2.5 miles to go and I knew I could run that in less than 35 min's. I was stoked on the last lap and picked up my pace a bit. I took a gel at the 4 mile marker and water at the aid station to last me thru the final push. At least I mentally picked it up, I don't know if I was actually faster or not since my lap splits were messed up as I screwed my watch trying to set a split coming out of transition.

Just more training. Pacing was good.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and drank some Endurox R4 and water. They had plenty of sandwhiches but food was the last thing I wanted. Talked to Jeff, Jeff and Eric and recovered.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. This was my first Olympic distance race and only my 3rd race so far.

Event comments:

I thought this was a good race. A little unorganized but it was put on my College students and I think they did a decent job. I will do this race again next year. The best part of this race for me was having someone there with me. My other two races have been solo. Having Eric cheer me on and remind me of things I needed were awesome. The best thing was seeing my son as I came out of the water, he was so excited and then to see him as I was taking off my wetsuit and knowing he ran the 1/4 mile or so up hill to transition is awesome. Could I have done this without them...yes, do I think my time would of been as good...I don't think so. Knowing they were waiting for me kept me going and kept me pushing myself. I don't know if they realize how big a help and motivation they were but they were awesome. Eric took a lot of pictures and video taped parts of the race...very cool. My goals were: 1)to finish 2) to finish in under 3:30 3) optimistic goal 3:15 4) stretch/dream time under 3 hrs....mission accomplished 2:47!!!

75/133 overall including College division: 50/80 for the open division: 8/10 age group

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:52 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/133
Performance: Good
Suit: IronMan Stealth
Course: The course was like a checkmark. We started at the short end and went out to the first bouy and then made a dogleg right to the next bouy and then the long back straight until we came to the last bouy, made a hard right to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:57
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:00 | 24.8 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: shaped like the letter "P" with the start and finish the only parts we double on. A few hills at the start with a flat backstrecth.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:25 | 06.2 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Course: Two lap course which started off thru the field and then into a housing addition. Ran thru a nature trail around the addition on mulch which was nice on the knees then on concrete back to the lake and around. Went down a steep incline which had a 20ft wide creek we had to cross on a two foot wide concrete bridge and then up about 20 steps (stairs) to the top and on around to finish/lap one then repeat back to finish. Had two drink stations with water/gatorade which made for drink stations with the two lap course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-27 2:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Boilerman Olympic Triathlon

2004-09-27 5:03 PM
in reply to: #67000

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, IN
Subject: RE: Boilerman Olympic Triathlon
Wow, under 3 hours!!! Awesome Jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I could have kept up with ya on the run!!

2004-09-27 7:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
congrats on a great race!!!!
2004-09-27 11:04 PM

Veteran
And here he is finishing strong!

Edited by jlusk 2004-09-27 11:05 PM

(Jim finishing the Boilerman.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Jim finishing the Boilerman.jpg (77KB - 39 downloads)
2004-09-28 10:48 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN

Thanks Jeff,

I just got my pictures from Eric and I think I uploaded them ok.  I am going to put some more of them in the Albums.

2004-09-30 9:34 PM
in reply to: #67312

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Man, I told you you would fly!!! Great race! No more whining about can't do it from you :-) That's a great time, especially that swim! Congratulations!

2004-09-30 10:42 PM

Champion

Man, fantastic split times Jim...I am so in awe of that run time, I just wish I could duplicate it.  Congrats on having such a great race!

2004-10-01 12:22 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

Jim

Man you rock! So awesome on your swim. Wow, what a great time. I think that's faster than mine! Well I'll just have to do something about that. And your run, well what can I say, you're the best dude. I'm so proud of you. We raced on the same day so I didn't see this. I'm so happy you had such a good race. Congrats! I'm beaming!

Ovetta.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boilerman Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed