United States
Sun Sport Events
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 43m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54F
Age Group Rank = 7/14
Pre-race routine:

As usual,did not allow QUITE enough time in the a.m., tried to eat usual cinn toast, blueberries,yogurt/opti power mix but only got a little in before prerace nervous stomach set in..did get in a cup of hazlenut, then the 45 min drive to the site..late arrival meant parking a bit away..headed for transition & set up couple racks from C2 who was calm & cool & reassuring me that the race would not start on time & we had plenty of time to get it together- thanks!..also saw Emily & Kathy G, smiling MAY, Stone, JP & entourage, cssimpkins briefly,
Event warmup:

brisk walk to the site from parking, otherwise none besides to & from the porta john..& to the beach start from transition..
Swim
  • 42m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

When I looked at the course as a whole I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach-LOL- like ..ok sheer terror time to just say no, quit, nada, go home..now!you have NO business here !Think I freaked out c2 by admitting I was terrified.Saw JP can who was , I realized by his deer in the headlights look & inability to speak..just as panicked as I was..which, surprisingly made me realise..we can and WILL do this.
Plan for swim was slow/ steady conserve energy & survive.Longest continuous swim this year was less than half mile so no thoughts of swimming freestyle or racing the distance.I got out of the water with GREAT relief & smiling- and not feeling spent...objective met. Swim done.
What would you do differently?:

Actually swim train.
Transition 1
  • 04m 37s
Comments:

I was starving when I got to my bike! Lady next to me offered me a banana & it was the BEST!Took my time here..sat down on Sherpa c2's bucket (thanks!)..& got the suit off,sox & shoes on, swig of water & helmet& shades,race belt.picked up some great Bt vibes from DZ & Denise at the fence (thanks!).walked not ran- to mount ..this day was NOT about fast transitions!

have my own banana & a sports drink ready, in future need faster shoes (mine have a buckle)probably trim the bottom of my suit to make for faster off..
Bike
  • 3h 37m 3s
  • 60 miles
  • 16.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Started the bike with Jorge's advice to stay low HR zone & steady to save for the run..in my ear..which ,admittedly, was tough! I felt good- wanted to go -and all those ladies who got out of the water ahead of me I know I can catch! but..stuck to cruise /comfort /fun speed..had 2 bottles of powerade,3 bars to get me thru,tried the bottle xchange for the 1st time 7 took plain water that I had about 1/3rd of in addition. This seemed to be just about right tho I think at last h20 xcg if I had taken a gel or bar would have carried me hru to the run..next time .Didn't have to pee so felt like fluids were on track.I thoroughly enjoyed the course & ride..made myself hold back when tempted to pass or push,spun uphill & coasted downhill..Got a big boost from BT contingent on the first loop-DZ, Denise..you made me laugh out loud & go faster than I should for a few miles- second loop I focused on staying with the plan-eat/drink & tried not think that there was still gonna be over 2 hours to run after 60 miles on the bike!
Got another boost seeing Kathy G & Patty on the bike in..THANKS!

Not a lot. Goal was to finish without injury-to do this had to go easy on the bike.hopefully next half I can actually race on the bike.
Annoying clanging & threat of falling off of my 2nd bike cage- hadn't realised it was loose..
Transition 2
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

Again, speed not the priority- wanted to go out on the run prepared to settle in for the distance. Took time putting shoes on, took a half a gel,had powerade & 2 gels in running belt ..mentally took stock-not feeling too bad!

Not much for this race..another gel ..but for future, obviously would have "raced" the bike & had faster t2.
Run
  • 2h 15m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Plan was again to settle in for a steady comfortable pace & to walk the water stops at least til 10 mile marker. I tooke a gel & h20 after 5 min, then followed plan at each stop to walk & poured water on my head & down my shirt & a took sip. Took gels at 1 & 2 hour , sipped the 20 0z of powerade.
First mile felt ok, but at 1.5 miles got serious & intense cramp right hamstring/back of thigh that stopped me. kneaded it out, sipped powerade, stretched & then started to limp/walk until eased enough to jog. Thankfully did, and was able to continue on, with the only other real tightening last 2 miles-felt then lke calves could seize up at any time, .Had a boost from a spectator (set up by c2!)somewhere out there calling me by name & encouraging me which made me smile even more Was careful to stay on track with the powerade & sucked the salt of of pretzels at the aid station.Stayed focused-pee stop about half way..Despite the overall effort & the discomfort of the piriformis thing etc I was so jazzed -really from the point of the cramp recovery onward -that I must have been grinning like a fool!Approaching mile 10 I began to be convinced that I really could finish this thing..and that was a most AWESOME feeling..and the last mile was pure joy ..just so thrilled & grateful to be here!Coming to the finish ...BT high fives- seeing the clock..it doesn't get any better than this...

Again, for this race-nothing beside having more e-lytes /salt on board..was just looking to go the distance and not end up with worse injury issues.
Post race
Warm down:

Slow walk- major emily hug- Happy Dance with c2 (you ROCK!)hugs from the BT Posse-Kathy G, May, Denise, DK, JP can, Jorge (pro all the way!)...Chris (way to SMOKE the couse-congrats!)waited what seemed like FOREVER shivering for a massage-but it was SO worth it- I KNOW I would have been in much more pain after without it.Thanks again to most awesome sherpa/cheerleader C2 who packed up my stuff while I was wwaiting for massage..then listened to the tunes & had a bite to eat & drink, back to the car for a cold BEAH to celebrate FIRST HALF IRON..WOO HOO!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No excuses here. But i WILL be faster next time!

Event comments:

Elated to have accomlished this leap to long course-Grateful for BT friends support to do so. This race -at this time- was extremely important to me.Happy, HAPPY Dance. I am a lucky girl.

As far as the inaugaural Patriot Half Iron goes- I have nothing but praise for the event and the organizers & would highly recommend it. The venue & course was beautiful & accurate, the bike course change for safety reasons (making it 60 vs 56 miles!) was necessary & well done, the mile markers & aid stations on both the bike & run were excellent , the transitions, the swim, the atmosphere, the post race food & music, awards, & support,prerace expo,seminar,registration, goody bags all very,very good.Kudos & Thanks to Race director for making the Patriot a destination race.
For those who waded through this race report..thanks for reading..if I had written it the day after it would have been even longer & more detailed! This race was one of those "defining experiences" for me..no apologies for that. I am STILL smiling!!!

Last updated: 2007-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:57 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: blue 70energie full
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:37:03 | 60 miles | 16.59 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:15:33 | 13.1 miles | 10m 21s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-05 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: Patriot Half Iron

2007-07-05 2:50 PM
in reply to: #873304

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: Patriot Half Iron
Awesome job and great report! You finished strong, learned a lot about how you will do long course in the future, you had fun, and you're still smiling - what more can you ask for from your first half?
2007-07-05 3:19 PM

User image

Pro
MA

You looked strong on the bike course - much faster than my camera's shutter speed!  (OK.. I am a poor photographer).  We were so excited to see you. 

Funny that you took even LONGER than c2fd at T2.  So clam, so leisurely. 

Very well done, Joanne.  Congrats on your first HIM!

2007-07-05 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
YOU did it!!!!! woohoo!!  major life accomplishment!  amazing finish time...a 2;15 1/2 mary post 60 mile bike ride?? with little training...spectacular!
2007-07-05 6:27 PM

User image

Master
CT

Like Glen said! SPECTACULAR!!!

I know that smile you speak of!!

You did it!!

Congrats! So proud of you

2007-07-05 6:31 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
AWESOME!!!!! Congrats!.  You didn't post any pictures but I can just imagine how big a smile you had crossing that finish line.  I'm so happy for you. 

2007-07-05 6:31 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
AWESOME!!!!! Congrats!.  You didn't post any pictures but I can just imagine how big a smile you had crossing that finish line.  I'm so happy for you. 
2007-07-05 9:40 PM

User image

Elite
Way to go.  Enjoy the lake.  We plan to be doing the same in Tennessee. TW
2007-07-06 6:32 AM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT

Awesome race Joanne! Congrats on your first half!! Sounds like you played it smart.

What's next?? How about Extrememan in CT in Sept??

2007-07-06 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Woohoo! Great job, you looked like the happiest person after the race.

You went out and had an amazing race on an amazing day. Looks like there is nothing that you can't do! I'm glad my fear helped you out before the start.
2007-07-06 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, Il
I was rooting for you from my living room and waiting for this race report. Way to go, lady!

2007-07-06 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
You ROCK!!!! Very impressive times for a race done with little training.  I would LOVE to have times like that! 
2007-07-06 4:46 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Joanne you are my hero!

Excellant race...very proud of your pacing and ability to stay calm and execute your plan. Looks like you drank enough..need some Lava Salts for extra electrolytes. 

You enjoyed the whole day and when you came down the finishing chute your enthusiasm came off you in the way you moved to the huge grin you had on your face...you did it!!! 

I hope to finish my HIM like you did...

Congrats~ 

2007-07-06 11:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

YAY FOR YOU JOANNE!!   You did a freakin' half iron!

You looked so great getting off the bike. I knew you would finish strong. I wanted to be able to watch everyone finish....but especially you.  You really deserved a great day after all you've been through. 

I can imagine how big your smile was at the finish. WHOO HOOOO!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Half Iron Rss Feed