Dallas Athletes
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 55m 5s
Overall Rank = 166/210
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 31/31
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, ate food, drove to the race, etc. etc.
Event warmup:

Mainly stretching and trying to avoid getting disco tunes stuck in my head.
Run
  • 17m 53s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty much everyone in my wave took off like they were running from the cops, so I let them do their thing and I kept to my pace. Eventually some of them started to fall back when they realized just how f*cking fast they were going. All I wanted to do was run about a 9 minute/mile for the first run, and I just about hit that on the nose.
What would you do differently?:

Run faster, gain 15 lb. of muscle, have a threesome with Scarlet Johannsen and Jessica Biel. One of those three is reasonably attainable.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

It went fine, the lock laces definitely save me some time. I should consider getting some bike shoes that are a little more "transition-friendly" though.

Run faster, gain 15 lb. of musc-oh wait, I said that already. Then nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 54s
  • 23.46 miles
  • 18.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall this went well. I tried to throttle back the last couple miles to give my legs a little chance to recover, but I should have done that earlier. I still can never just give 70-80% on the bike. I tell myself I'm going to pace myself, but the second I start passing people I turn on the jets and blow it out. I have a feeling this is never going to change, and I don't care. Riding fast is the most fun part of any tri for me, consequences be damned.

At about the 8 mile mark I noticed Clint was off changing his tire, but he seemed like he was making progress so I headed on. When I was on my way back from the first turnaround I saw he was still working on it so I asked if he needed anything. Apparently he didn't have any CO2, so I looped back around, handed him a tube and my inflater, and took off again. Other than that, the ride was pretty non-descript. A few hills, a little wind(but not bad at all), and some rough roads once in awhile(but mostly it was fine). Oh yea, when we hit FM 3002 again there were cars backed up waiting for us to cross - mainly because there was a sheriff forcing them to wait - and as I went by one jackass in a white sedan about 4 cars back was laying on his horn non-stop...as if that's helping the situation. I don't understand why people use horns in those situations; it isn't helping anyone and all you're doing is pissing everyone else off. Lay off, you're not going anywhere. The church will be there even if you're 10 minutes late.

If I trained more consistently on the bike, I probably could have cracked 19+ without a lot of effort.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I never remember to take the helmet off until I get to my rack.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 16m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this was going to be rough, but damn. My ideal goal was to keep a 10 minute mile, but realistically I was shooting for a sub-11 mile. It was apparent very early on that I was going to have trouble in the run as I had more than just jelly legs. I made a deal with myself that I'd walk for a minute after each mile as a way to mitigate problems, but after a couple miles that wasn't going to be possible anymore. Right at the 2.5 mile mark my inner quads and left hamstring cramped up on me badly, and from that point on I was only able to run in short spurts(no more than 2-3 minutes at a time usually). I wasn't dehydrated really, I think I was low on sodium and my legs were tighter than normal. I was getting overheated too; again, not because of dehydration(that's about the only part I did right) but over-exertion and the heat/humidity combo sapped my strength. For the last couple miles I was doing a 1 minute jog/1 minute walk combination to make it back. About half a mile from the end, this guy in front of me just dropped to the ground screaming. Both his calves were cramping up something fierce, so I helped him stretch out his calves for a bit before he said he was OK, then I took off again. Given how much I walked - and if you look at the graph on my Garmin the last 2.5 miles look like a roller coaster - this time isn't too bad.

Training more would help, plus figure out how to get more sodium into my nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossed the finish line, I downed approximately 143 cups of Accelerade and ate some watermelon. I had no desire to eat pizza or cheese nachos.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It really boils down to a lack of training. I haven't been able to find the time to really train since I got the new job a couple months ago, and it shows in my results.

I'll fill out the AG ranks when DA posts the race results. These numbers are all the numbers off my Garmin.

Event comments:

Where to start? The run course was designed by someone who either is an Ironman and doesn't understand that it's possible to suffer on a run under 20 miles, or by someone with no heat receptors on their skin. Also, they must work for TXDOT because the traffic interchange at the 1st aid station looks like a high school cafeteria right after they announce they're running out of frito pie. In other words, it was chaos. Everyone was supposed to turn left, which wasn't a problem except that it meant you were crossing the stream of people already coming back from the left turn and subsequent turnaround. Additionally, the aid station was put on the right side of the road so you have people crossing both directions of foot traffic trying to get a drink. Then there's the olympic part of the run course, where they baked you for the better part of 2 miles *each way* on FM 3002 without an aid station until the turnaround. If you were on the sprint 5k you had essentially 3 aid stations; if you were on the olympic 10k you only got 1 more aid station. Then there was the bathroom situation, where they had 10 of them for everyone; the line got so long that they had to delay the start of the race to wait for people to get done using the bathroom.

Listen, DA has been through hell this week trying to pull this race off, and they did the best they could given the weather. I don't know how differently things would have been designed if weather wasn't a factor, and it's a valid consideration. Still, there was a lot to be desired with the race coordination here. If TexasMan is anything like this setup(it's in the same location), I'll skip it this year and hit another race instead. I hate to say that because I like the DA people and I know they're trying, but it really was a badly designed run course and they didn't have the little things done that you would see taken care of at an Ironhead race(like organized bike racks & more bathrooms, for example). Hopefully they'll make some adjustments before TM.

Last updated: 2007-07-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:53 | 02 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/31
Overall: 178/210
Performance: Good
Average HR: 173 Max HR: 189
Course: A little hilly, but not too bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:17:54 | 23.46 miles | 18.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/31
Overall: 132/210
Performance: Good
Average HR: 173 Max HR: 185
Wind: Some
Course: It was hilly, but the hills were rolling and none of them were large enough to crush your spirit. Some parts of the road were rough, but overall it was fine considering we were out in BFE and the rain has played havoc with the roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 97
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:16:22 | 06.21 miles | 12m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/31
Overall: 179/210
Performance: Below average
Average HR: 179 Max HR: 195
Course: Does "the egg on a frying pan" about sum it up? The stretch on FM 3002 was brutal. For more comments, read my course comments at the bottom.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-07-08 2:56 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
Subject: Disco Duathlon

2007-07-08 3:56 PM
in reply to: #876376

New user
Subject: RE: Disco Duathlon
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought the first aid station/round about/giant cluster F was annoying.

Sounds like you'll be having good race Karma for the future.
2007-07-08 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

May the triathlon gods bless you man, because you stopping to lend CO2 was as cool and as generous as it gets.  I definitely owe you one.

And I sure hope you are referring to the threesome as "reasonably attainable". 

2007-07-08 4:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville

I'm a DA member and I hate to say that this was by far the worst tri they've managed. The run start was chaos and the run leg at the end was just brutal. Not enough aid stations during the 10k and I thought they could have figured out a way to stay in the shade a little more. I had plans to do the TMan but I'll have to think it over a little more since it will be the same course/setup.

2007-07-08 4:57 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Sorry I missed you out there today.  You are so right about all of your comments.  I could not believe that they did not have an additional aid station set up on the highway.  It was so discouraging running down the highway and all you saw was more highway and little dots in the distance still running.  It was the toughest 10K I have ever done.  Also, what was up with them starting the sprint men a minute after the Oly women,  In no time we were getting run over.  Maybe they wanted to simulate the beating and banging we missed by not getting a swim in!
2007-07-08 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Your race reports are so entertaining and hiliarious! Good job out there today! I find it awesome that you stopped to help out Clint and they guy with calf cramps. Not many people would do that and you should be proud that you're one who will!

2007-07-08 5:16 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
You had a solid race today. The 10K was brutal with the heat and one more aid station on 3002 would have made a huge difference. FWIW even though you don't have breasts, I will always come socialize with you.
2007-07-08 5:25 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

It was great to finally meet you, Johnny.  It was really big of you to stop and help Clint and that other person.  It says a lot about your character. 

I also agree with all your comments about the race.  It sure would have been nice to have another aid station out there on 3002.   

2007-07-08 5:29 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by JeepFleeb 2007-07-08 5:30 PM
2007-07-08 6:26 PM
in reply to: #876437

Pro
Texas
jcbolton - 2007-07-08 4:12 PM

May the triathlon gods bless you man, because you stopping to lend CO2 was as cool and as generous as it gets. I definitely owe you one.

I hope I was too.
2007-07-08 6:28 PM
in reply to: #876489

Pro
Texas
docshock1964 - 2007-07-08 5:16 PM

You had a solid race today. The 10K was brutal with the heat and one more aid station on 3002 would have made a huge difference. FWIW even though you don't have breasts, I will always come socialize with you.

I appreciate the sentiment Craig. If it helps, my balls are enormous. :p

2007-07-08 6:58 PM

Champion
Butler
Great race and kudos for helping clint.  Definatley got to look at for fellow bters.
2007-07-08 7:47 PM
in reply to: #876542

Expert
Wylie, TX

JBrashear - 2007-07-08 6:28 PM
docshock1964 - 2007-07-08 5:16 PM You had a solid race today. The 10K was brutal with the heat and one more aid station on 3002 would have made a huge difference. FWIW even though you don't have breasts, I will always come socialize with you.
I appreciate the sentiment Craig. If it helps, my balls are enormous. :p

Talking about your male gentalia = Craig Repellent

Edited by docshock1964 2007-07-08 7:48 PM
2007-07-08 8:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
You definitely get the good samaritan award for the race!  Great job despite the lack of training and somewhat poor race conditions. 
2007-07-08 8:24 PM
in reply to: #876437

Champion
Dallas, TX

Uuuuhhhh... only if I'm involved. And in that case, he gets to just watch... cause it's a threesome and he'd be the fourth wheel...

Sorry I couldn't make it to cheer you on babe. Considering the lack of "facilities", I'm REALLY GLAD I stayed home. It could have gotten very *ugly* out there for me.

I think you did a TERRIFIC job considering.... uuuuummm... the fact that you stay in sleeping all weekend while I'm out riding a bike.

I wish I could train as little as you do and pull those numbers! Shoot, I have to run 15 miles a week just to hit a 11 minute mile.

Also, your transition times were smoking fast!

All in all... a great job sweetie and again, I'm sorry I couldn't be out there.

PS- And I am very proud of you being a good smaratian out there... helping Clint (now we have both helped Clint with a flat) and the guy with cramps. Very kind of you.
2007-07-08 9:18 PM
in reply to: #876664

Pro
Texas
KSH - 2007-07-08 8:24 PM

Uuuuhhhh... only if I'm involved. And in that case, he gets to just watch... cause it's a threesome and he'd be the fourth wheel...

SOLD!

2007-07-08 9:23 PM

Expert
Longview, TX

helping Clint (now we have both helped Clint with a flat)

Man, do I feel pretty useless! 

2007-07-08 9:51 PM

Expert
Well I was going to become the first comedienne to do a triathlon bit, but now I'm thinking maybe I'll just get tickets to watch your comedy show instead!!

Who would have guessed you are actually a nice guy??? I thought you were just the smart azz of the group Yep, I think the tri gods and goddesses are with you now.

Just don't your lady off, cuz she's one of the tri goddesses you know!! And she has a pretty great sense of humor, too!

I'm just glad I'm not in Texas. Whew! I started sweating just reading this. (I'm not kidding. Told you I'm an empath). Not that it would help you on the run, but a fellow who's log I snoop at because he's doing IMMOO this year discovered baby dills to help with salt on the bike.....might look kinda funny to see a dude biking with a green pickle in his mouth, but hey....

Well done today! I'm glad you have such a great attitude about it. See, remember when you first posted on the group? You weren't feeling very positive about anything tri related. You've come a LONG way since then and whatever it is that you are doing to cultivate that happiness--keep it up! And then teach us

2007-07-08 10:28 PM

Expert
Plano, TX
Congrats on your race today.  It was definitely brutal being out there in that humidity.  You earned your Good Samaritan points for the day with the kind gesture toward Craig, too.  Good job!
2007-07-08 11:14 PM

Champion
the colony texas

I'll sell you Jessica's number to make up for the cash I lost on you being an hour behind and not covering the spread. Gotta Love Vegas their take any bet....and  usually my money..

great job on stopping to help the youngest out.  After reading your report I don't feel as bad missing out today..

gary 

2007-07-09 1:15 AM

Veteran
Great job man. It's really cool that you helped those folks out and I'm sure that will come back to you when you need it the most. Your race report was fun to read and I wish you the best of luck on your three way endeavors!

2007-07-09 7:48 AM
in reply to: #876744

Pro
Texas
phoenixrising404 - 2007-07-08 9:51 PM

Well I was going to become the first comedienne to do a triathlon bit, but now I'm thinking maybe I'll just get tickets to watch your comedy show instead!!

Who would have guessed you are actually a nice guy??? I thought you were just the smart azz of the group Yep, I think the tri gods and goddesses are with you now.

Just don't your lady off, cuz she's one of the tri goddesses you know!! And she has a pretty great sense of humor, too!

I'm just glad I'm not in Texas. Whew! I started sweating just reading this. (I'm not kidding. Told you I'm an empath). Not that it would help you on the run, but a fellow who's log I snoop at because he's doing IMMOO this year discovered baby dills to help with salt on the bike.....might look kinda funny to see a dude biking with a green pickle in his mouth, but hey....

Well done today! I'm glad you have such a great attitude about it. See, remember when you first posted on the group? You weren't feeling very positive about anything tri related. You've come a LONG way since then and whatever it is that you are doing to cultivate that happiness--keep it up! And then teach us

In the interest of honesty, if I was in the hunt for a medal I would have pelted Clint with CO2 tubes at 20mph instead of stopping.

My attitude's not a whole lot 'better' really, it's more that my expectations are more in line with reality now. I am more motivated to train than I was a month or two ago, that's for sure.
2007-07-09 12:04 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
My attitude's not a whole lot 'better' really, it's more that my expectations are more in line with reality now. I am more motivated to train than I was a month or two ago, that's for sure.

Well, I thought your attitude was GREAT yesterday! Yes, your expectations were in line with reality... and thus your attitude was better. I throughly enjoyed this happier Jonny and I hope to see him again after other races.

As far as your motivation for training... I can help you out with that. "Jonny, get out of bed and come ride with me."

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Duathlon Rss Feed