Denton, Texas
United States
Dallas Athletes
Total Time = 2h 20m 33s
Overall Rank = 50/210
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/19
Pre-race routine:

I had the alarm set for 3:45am. Got up and took a quickie shower, made an almond butter sandwich, packed everything in the truck, and was on the road at 4:50am. I got to the race site at about 5:45am. I got my transition area set up, hit the port-a-potty(before the huge lines developed), and then searched out other BTers.
Event warmup:

I only did about a 5 minute run to warm up.
Run
  • 14m 39s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I was unsure about the pace that I should do this run at. I decided to keep my HR at 160 or below. I had my TT set for a cadence of 91. My legs felt kind of heavy until the turn-around and then things started to feel better. I caught my HR sneaking up into the 160s and then I would slow down a little. The only problem I had on the run was when I hit the Sprint turn-around on the way back. Just as I hit it, the under 40 women were making the turn. All my thoughts about proper running form left me. All I could think about was ASS. I tried to think about slightly leaning forward, nope ASS. I tried to think about rolling off my big toes, nope ASS. I am not sure what triggered me to think of my swim mantra "Always Swim Smoothly", but it was a disruption to my run.
What would you do differently?:

Concentrate looking at the ground 6 feet ahead of me and not think about stuff to put in my race report.
Transition 1
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

4/19, This transition really could not have gone any smoother. I guess the people racked around me were doing the Sprint because I had plenty of room to change shoes. The exit was a little conjested so I actually ran further out to have room to jump on the bike.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 08m 21s
  • 23 miles
  • 20.19 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride out of the park was pretty congested. Early on, I got behind Sporty Sue and she was yelling at people to move over. When she would pass them, she would turn and give them the evil-eye and shake her fist at them. You would never think it when she flashes that smile at you. OK, so maybe I exaggerated a little at SS's expense. My plan was to keep my HR at 150 or lower. It seemed to take forever to get it out of the 160s. It is just hard to slow down on the bike. It is just too entertaining to pass other riders. It did not help the fact that Sporty Sue, Mom23, and I kept going back and forth passing and repassing each other. Honestly, they are a couple tough Tri Chics so they can pass me anytime. Soon after the turn-around, I started to feel little twinges of cramping in my calves. I took two electrolytes, but that did not seem to help any. As the cramping feeling increased, I took two more electrolytes about 15 min later. I had only planned on taking two, on the bike, but brought the other two just in case. After turning right for the Olympic course, I was able to finally see my HR get below 150. A few miles from the finish, the cramping started to come back again. Twice I had to stand up, with the pedals at 3 and 9, and stretch my calves.

More elecrolytes and get my HR down to my target quicker.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

With the cramping issues, I grabbed a little container that had more electrolytes. But that only added 5-10 more seconds. Otherwise, I got off the bike while moving and got my running shoes on without a problem.

Keep extra electrolytes in my pocket
Run
  • 53m 56s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, we all knew that this was going to be the tough part. My plan was to keep my HR at 155 or lower for the first half, then let it get up to 160 for the second half. Before this got switched to a duathlon, I really wanted to run at an 8 min/mile pace. Soon after I left transition, I took two more electrolytes. I had the pills in a little metal Altoids gum container. Also in the container were some advil and tylenol. When I put the container in my jersey pocket, I sounded like a freaking Mariachi Band with all the rattling of the pills in the metal container. I ended up slipping it the waistband of my tri-shorts and that stopped all the rattling. I set my TT for a cadence of 91 and continued on. Soon after mile one, I took my last two electrolytes because I did not want to cramp on the run. This was one of those runs you just had to tell yourself to keep going. After the turn-around, I could not keep pace with the TT so I turned it off. I could feel my quads start to get sore also. So I got out two tylenol and two advil and took those. I just kept plugging away until there was a mile left and then the advil and tylenol must have really kicked in. The best I felt, on the run, was that last mile. I was glad to be able to sprint across the finish line. I was really disappointed with the second run. I should have had more energy for it. I was surprised to see that I ranked higher overall on the second run vs. the first. I guess that made me feel a little better.

Carry my medicine cabinet in a zip lock bag. Consider taking the advil and tylenol toward the end of the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Found some shade, drank lots of water, and socialized. BTW, I did hit Wendy's on the way home. The BACONATER was beefy, cheesy, and bacony. That and the rootbeer float hit the spot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just need more experience figuring out what paces and nutrition works for me.

Event comments:

It has all been said in the earlier RRs. Hopefully, they get it all ironed out for Texas Man and the weather cooperates.

Last updated: 2007-04-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:39 | 02 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 60/210
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:08:21 | 23 miles | 20.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/19
Overall: 47/210
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:56 | 06.21 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/19
Overall: 51/210
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-07-08 11:40 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: Disco Triathlon(Duathlon)

2007-07-09 7:55 AM
in reply to: #876802

User image

Pro
Texas
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon(Duathlon)
I spent a lot of the race staring at too. I know what you say it stands for, but I know what you really meant. :p

btw congrats on attaining the rare feat of putting your pedals at 6 & 9 at the same time. Most people can't bend the pedals like that without breaking them.
2007-07-09 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
I thought I heard you beeping as we passed!  It made me chuckle, as I was so far out of my HR zones it wasn't even funny.  Good job on the race, though!  Don't feel bad about the run pace -- that humidity was affecting everybody, and run paces were 'slower than expected' across the board from everyone I talked to.  Sorry I didn't get to hang around and chat much afterwards.
2007-07-09 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Great Job on your race.  Shouda, Coulda, Woulda....I think you did great!

FYI... the little oval plastic coin holders with the slit down the middle work great for electrolytes.  You just squeeze them open and tongue them out and no noice.  Fit easily in a jersey pocket (not good for swims ).  You can sometimes find them at the expo's at larger races for $2-3.

Nice Job.

K

2007-07-09 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Great race, Craig.  It was tough conditions out there and you did a good job battling through them!
2007-07-09 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Looks like you had a fast and fun (giggle) race! Although that run for the Oly sounds BRUTAL! These reports have "sold" me on not doing the Texasman... unless they change something.

Funny... I thought I was the only one who thought about what the put in the RR or my Training Long while racing/training. I will think, "It was a hard run out there today, the heat was killing me"... then I have to change it to something positive, "It was hot, but I kept running". HA!

2007-07-09 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

You are the KING of acronyms!

You had a great race considering the circumstances and environment.  And it sounds like you made some good smart decisions on the 10k.  Congrats on a solid race.

2007-07-09 11:43 AM
in reply to: #876917

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX

JBrashear - 2007-07-09 7:55 AM I spent a lot of the race staring at too. I know what you say it stands for, but I know what you really meant. :p btw congrats on attaining the rare feat of putting your pedals at 6 & 9 at the same time. Most people can't bend the pedals like that without breaking them.

Oops, I forgot I do not have a bionic leg......yet. Just wait until my Nigerian friends deposit that $16,000,000 in my checking account!!

2007-07-09 12:07 PM
in reply to: #877081

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
jcbolton - 2007-07-09 9:39 AM

You had a great race considering the circumstances and environment.  And it sounds like you made some good smart decisions on the 10k.  Congrats on a solid race.

Acronyms?

OK, so he wasn't checking out ? I mean I know I wasn't out there... but I figured there was someone in the under 40 women's catagory to show some to the guys out there.
2007-07-09 12:59 PM
in reply to: #877451

User image

Pro
Texas
KSH - 2007-07-09 12:07 PM

jcbolton - 2007-07-09 9:39 AM

You had a great race considering the circumstances and environment. And it sounds like you made some good smart decisions on the 10k. Congrats on a solid race.

Acronyms?

OK, so he wasn't checking out ? I mean I know I wasn't out there... but I figured there was someone in the under 40 women's catagory to show some to the guys out there.

There were a few, but they all paled in comparison babe.
2007-07-09 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Craig, nice work.  Glad the Baconater was as good as advertised.

I had the same problem on the first run, too.

2007-07-09 2:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Good job Craig! It was good to see you again! It was a hot one out there yesterday...I'm glad I only had a 3.1 mile run in relative shade as opposed to your long sunny run. Thanks for the nice words on the bike! It's fun to see a familiar face when your're riding.
2007-07-09 9:22 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great race, Craig.  Way to go. 

TJ

2007-07-10 7:19 PM

User image

Austin Ranch, Plano, TX

Doc

Great race.   Good splits on everything.   Finishing up 5K, I was so glad that I wasn't running the 10K.   It was really starting to get warm out there.

Also, thanks for dropping me a message.   I'm not very skilled at using this website (yet), but I am getting there.  It is an excellent training tool----I just need to take advantage of it.    Dude you have a lot of activity on your race schedule.  Wow.   Good luck with it all.

Mark

2007-07-10 8:36 PM

User image

Austin Ranch, Plano, TX

OK....Now I am with the program.    I talked to you briefly before the race and you're the guy we met out at open water swim at Rockwall.    I finally put it all together when I looked up your pic in your ALBUM.

Once again.....nice race.

I have a hard enough time remembering real names....nicknames make it even trickier.

I always liked Forrest Gump's approach.......

Hi !    My name is Forrest Gump...........My friends call me Forrest Gump

2007-07-11 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Great race, Craig! I hope I didn't scare you too much with all of my fist shaking and evil-eye glaring, but someone needed to do it!

Good job dealing with the heat on the run!

2007-07-11 9:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
yet another solid race, Craigory!  Now to work on those cramping issues....  I've heard Midol works wonders.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Triathlon(Duathlon) Rss Feed