Musselman Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 14s
Overall Rank = 232/496
Age Group = Novice
Age Group Rank = 3/29
Pre-race routine:

I got up about 6 and had some coffee, a couple glasses of water and a cup of coffee. Continued drinking water and drank a gatorade on the way to Geneva. Apparently my hydration plan was good as I hit the portapotties 5 times before the start. I wasn't sure if this race had assigned transition areas or first come first serve, so I made sure I was there when they opened. As it turned out, they were assigned, but it was still good to get there early. I got my area set up, went to body marking and picked up the race chip.

I waited to fill the drink bottles until just before transition closed so that they would still be cold. Putting the bottles on the bike, I noticed that my chain was off. I have no idea how that happened, but I was glad I caught that.

After that, I relaxed by the car with Connie and waited for the pre race meeting. After the meeting I got the wet suit on and waited for my wave with mikehall, who was also in my wave.
Event warmup:

I made sure I stretched out well and did some slow jogging to get the blood moving. Other than that, walking to the portapotties was about it.
Swim
  • 10m 57s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

When I registered for this race it was to be my first tri and it was my first with an OWS. So when I registered I put myself in the novice swim wave. When it was our turn (we were the 5th of 5 waves) I waded out to the start bouy and placed myself close to the front and towards the center. The first 200 to 250 yards were out to the turn bouy and into a head wind with the associated waves. I really struggled to get going as quite a few of the folks up front decided they would walk to start and I had to get around them. Fortunately I was fairly close to the front so this didn't take long.

I struggled sighting and getting into a rythm with my breathing as every time I would look up to sight, I would catch a wave in the face, which would throw my breathing off. I wound up breathing every stroke out to the bouy. I finally just swam with a guy to my left and trusted that he was heading the right direction. I never saw the first bouy so when I reached the second I was a bit confused if I should turn or keep going. The group was turning, so again, I had to trust the crowd.

Going in we had the wind and waves pushing so it was much easier to get into a rythm and make some time. I swam in as far as I could and when the hands started grabbing sand I got up and ran into the beach. Running in a foot of water for 25 yards is a challenge, but made it out of the water with the wetsuit almost off. I was surprised to see there was only 7 or 8 from my wave ahead of me. Connie was along the path up to transition along with some folks from work that came over to cheer me on. That was a big help.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to swim more. More in the lake and more in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

This was a slow transition. I got out of the suit fine, but struggled getting the socks on. I need to learn to ride without socks.

Learn to ride without socks. Learn to mount the bike with the shoes already clipped in.
Bike
  • 51m 45s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 17.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I am a little dissapointed with the bike time. Earlier in the week I got the Garmin bike mount on the bike and the 2 times I used it I had no problems with where I mounted it, but during the race I apparently kept hitting the start and lap button. Subsequently, the data was out of wack.

The first half of the race is a gradual climb into a head wind, with a few minor down hill sections. I spent most of this time passing some of the earlier waves that were on mountain bikes or hybrids. The only challenge to passing was the course was on a busy state highway and at times there was no room to pass without getting into the traffic lanes and I would have to wait for an opening in traffic. After we made the first turn, it was mostly flat or downhill with a few gradual climbs. Again I was passing people quite consistanly.

I felt I was pushing hard enough to meet my 18 mph goal and leaving a little bit for the run. I think the fact that I was only passed once on the bike and not having the computer gave me a false sense of accomplishment. I think the bike course for this race is probably one of the easier courses in the area. No significant climbs and mostly flat allowing for a good pace. I would really like a "do over" for this one.

Another argument for practicing for race day was my aero drink bottle. I added this last weekend and didn't use it at all before the race. It worked great and I really think it helped me get all my planned fluids in me during the race. However, about 3/4 into the race, I started hearing funning noises from the front of my bike. All I could think about was what was coming apart? I had replaced the front tube on friday, did I leave the front skewer loose? Was I going to lose the front wheel? Did I break a spoke? I finally came to the conclusion that as the aero bottle got close to empty, the little bits of gravel were echoing off the side of the bottle and coming up through the straw.

Push harder, especially earlier in the bike. Relocate my computer mount so that I can use that instead of perception as to how well or poorly I am doing.

Just continue to improve my bike experience and fitness.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

I managed to get one foot out of the bike shoe while still on the bike, I should have started this process a little earlier so I could have gotten both out of the shoes. I probably looked a little funny with one on and one off.

I got the bike racked and the running shoes on fairly quickly, or at least I thought I did until I watched the pro transitions later in the day. I did pull a dexter and forgot the race belt and number.

Remember the race number. Maybe try the yankz laces to avoid having to tie the shoes.
Run
  • 25m 1s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

At the Pittsford tri, I really struggled off the bike. So, since then I made sure I got a couple of good bricks in to improve on this. Off the bike I had no issues at all with the legs. Other than remembering about a 1/4 mile from transition that I had forgotten my race belt, I was able to focus on the run and maintaining the pace. I was able to get the garmin back on track for the run so I had a good idea what the pace was.

Again I was passing people pretty regularly and for the first mile I was right at or a little below 8 min/mile. I had a goal of sub 8:30 so this was good and I was feeling strong so I kept pushing it. The BT aide station was at about 1.75 miles and again at about 2.25 miles. Its great to run through a station where some of the people know who you are and give out a cheer for you. Gave me some motivation to keep pushing both times. I started to slow some on the last mile, but not too bad. Still felt strong all the way to the finish! According to the garmin, which matched what I remember from the results posted at the race site I was about 8:20 a mile, so I was happy with that.

Just keep focusing on my running off the bike. Other than that, not too much.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Connie, drank some water and ate half a bagel. Hung around for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience

Event comments:

Well run race.

Last updated: 2006-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:57 | 500 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/29
Overall: 269/496
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Out and back triangle course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:45 | 15.2 miles | 17.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/29
Overall: 248/496
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Loop course along east side of Seneca Lake.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:01 | 03 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/29
Overall: 269/496
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out and back all within the lakeside park on paved sidewalks.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-16 4:47 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon

2007-07-16 6:39 AM
in reply to: #886996

Veteran
Forestville,NY
Subject: RE: mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon
Congrats.  Sounds like you had a good time.  I was also thinking on the way home that I'm going to need to practice those ITU trasitions. 
2007-07-16 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Nice Race Ken!  The OWS sounds like it went very well, and I know how you feel about the bike.  I felt the same way at Tupper Lake.  There's always another race, though!    Way to Go!!!
2007-07-16 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Great race and very nice job with your first OWS race. You never quite know what you're goin to get with those.
2007-07-16 10:08 AM

User image

Regular
Horseheads, NY

Nice race Ken!  I wish we could have hooked up at the end of the race.  By the way I forgot my race belt and number in the transition area also. Must be a BT thing.

2007-07-16 10:34 AM

User image

Elmira, NY

Ken,

Way to go! Nice freaking job there my friend. You should be completely stoked about your performance, you rocked that course! I'm glad to see that you are now hooked, it will change your life. Kudoz

2007-07-16 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Good work Ken.  You looked like you were having a good time when you went by!..  Good work in the water.  I saw those waves and thought well at least we got some OWS swim in a chop.  Sounds like you did pretty good for your wave and even some of the other waves.   You were close to 18mph average on the bike.  Subtract out getting on and off bike you are THERE!   Congrates you little triathlete!!

Edited by dexter 2007-07-16 10:44 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed