Midwest Sports Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Race is 6 miles from home, up at 4:15 for a bagel with PB and Gatorade. Had a 1/2 mile walk to transition from parking on the street.
Event warmup:

Foam roller stretch at home...standing in line for the potty. I'm not much for warming up physically at a race, just more mental preparation.
Swim
  • 15m 1s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim sucks. I actually like to swim but still have OWs issues. This swim is faster by 3 minutes than my previous Pewaukee Tri race. So many weeds, bad breathing, low confidence, etc., etc.

Did I mention that I missed my wave start? Nice work, Gomer. That explains the missing time on the official results. The time I listed here is from my watch. Thanks God for a functioning lap timer.
What would you do differently?:

Not miss my actual wave. Swim more...and swim more OWS.
Transition 1
  • 04m 24s
Comments:

Again, T1 time from my watch. Wetsuit stuck on the timing chip cost me about 1 muinute. Still, this T1 is 4 minutes faster than previous Pewaukee Tri. Everything else was smooth. Big changes this year for me: I used a tri suit so no changing into a bike jersey and I went with no socks. Both work extremely well.

Not get stuck on the chip.
Bike
  • 51m
  • 16.3 miles
  • 19.18 mile/hr
Comments:

I freakin' rocked the bike course today!!! I am so excited by my time. I pushed soooo much harder than previous races and it showed. My fitness is improving and my rides with the co-workers is paying dividends. I had an absolute blast on the bike. Hit 40.5 mph coming down Glacier Road, a new high speed for me.

Nothing. Drinking was perfect, snuck in some Hammer gel before dismount too. I know I can get faster and the engine improves and my weight drops, but I was just so pumped afte this ride....WOW.
Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Really good T2 for me. Again, with a trisuit and no socks it was much faster than previous efforts.

Nothing really.
Run
  • 31m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

At the 1/2 mile point I had to stop and stretch both calves as they were getting very tight in a hurry. This really helped as I had no problems with them the rest of the way. I walked every water station to get enough to drink and let is go down easily. Otherwise a good run for me (7 min faster than last time). Kept my HR in the 148-156 area which is good for me. With about 500 yards to go, I'm feeling pretty good...knowing the end is near...when I hear from behind..."EEEEAAAWWW, get moving you big donkey!" It was mutri (Josh) as he was passing me. Of course I try to sprint to catch him. Nice move genius! My right hamstring did NOT like that plan. I made it to the finish line but if I had to go another 100 yards it might have blown up. Just another guy in his mid-40's thinking he can keep up with a guy in his 20's. Oh well, I did appreciate the shout out and it ded help me focus on the finish line.

Not much considering that I ran a 5K three weeks ago in 27-something and that was without a swim and bike in front of it. As I lose weight I know I will get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, stood in line for pancakes and fruit. Ate a small portion of each and headed home. I was sorry to miss the other BTer's but I haven't met too many yet and in the sea of humanity in the park, it was hard to spot people.

My goal here was 1:51 with an agressive goal of 1:45 so I couldn't be happier with my time. This is great motivation to get ready for Pleasant Prairie in August.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight and lack of productive swim sessions.

Event comments:

Great volunteers. I thanked them all. Nice race. In my opinion it is too large for the venue, but it is sooo popular.

Last updated: 2007-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:01 | 440 yards | 03m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:00 | 16.3 miles | 19.18 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:56 | 03.1 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-16 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: Pewaukee Triathlon

2007-07-16 1:04 PM
in reply to: #887688

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Pewaukee Triathlon
great race, way to beat your goal! Kick azz bike time. I went over to your rack about three times before the race to try & find you, but never was able to.
2007-07-16 1:40 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Great job, especially the bike! Way to beat your goal time. I jsut signed up for Pleasant Prairie today, so I hope to meet you then!
2007-07-16 2:02 PM
in reply to: #887766

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI

jmwebs - 2007-07-16 12:04 PM great race, way to beat your goal! Kick azz bike time. I went over to your rack about three times before the race to try & find you, but never was able to.

That would be: a. Timing chip line and, b. bathroom line. I actually saw the first two waves go out on the bike while I was in line for the potty.

2007-07-16 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Sullivan, WI
Nice work and a solid bike race.......what are you racing at PP....
2007-07-16 11:03 PM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
Nice race. Is it OK for the 40 year olds to trip the 20 year olds when they pass us?  

2007-07-18 10:07 AM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Great Job on the race - way to improve

next time just squash baby donkey - he won't mind

Congrats
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pewaukee Triathlon Rss Feed