Team Magic
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 34m 17s
Overall Rank = ?/1204
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 19/65
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5h20a, and ate a banana, PowerBar Harvest bar, a chocolate Ensure, and started swigging the Gatorade. Gave my gear one last check, and schlepped down to the car with my T bag, bike, goody bag from the expo, and 24hr bag w/clothes. Parked on Broad St. about 4 blocks from the waterfront and joined the flow of people heading into transition. After setting up my area and getting body marked, I had about 20 minutes to hang out until we boarded the buses up to the swim start. So I bummed around, talked to a few people, and checked out the competition. The field seemed to be much, much faster than at the GJCC race. Not too many mountain bikes in transition today.
Event warmup:

Got to the swim start area at about 7h30, and the race was supposed to get underway at 7h45. The 5-0 was a little slow getting the cones/barrels out, so we were delayed. The first swimmer probably got in the water at about 7h50 or so. Team Magic does all their races as time trial starts, and I was racer number 1044 - so I had some time to relax. I sat around on the grass, chatted with a few people I recognized from the Y, and tried to stay hydrated without overheating. I think I got in the water a little before 9.
Swim
  • 23m 21s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a pretty good swim. Due to the TT start, I had basically a giant 1500m long line of people I could pass, and did pass. I was only able to find one person to draft on, as he was the only one I encountered swimming faster than me. Problem was, he was swimming quite a bit faster than me, and I decided it was better to swim comfortably then to expend too much energy trying to catch his draft. There were a fair number of breast strokers (and a few floaters), and I caught a couple of kicks to the chest. But I stayed as far right as I could, and thankfully missed most of the people who were zig-zagging their way downstream. When I hit the end, I confused the guys who were trying to pull me out by getting out of unassisted. Then it was up the crazy number of steps into T1.
What would you do differently?:

Probably not much. Maybe eat a smaller dinner the night before. And learn how to not have to pee 97 times while waiting to start racing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

To get into transition we had to run up 50 steps or so on the riverfront park to get up to street level. Came through the fence, and then had to remember where the hell my bike was. Finally I figured it out, and ran down the second to last rack. Threw my cap and goggles on the ground, jammed my feet into my bike shoes, on with the helmet and sunglasses, and I was out. Running in wet grass proved to be difficult with my bike shoes, and I almost fell a few times. I had to go about 150m with the bike before I hit the mount line.

Learn how to do a flying mount, and how to mount with shoes already clipped in.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 16s
  • 26.25 miles
  • 19.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Of the 3 sports, the bike is definitely my limiter, especially when there are hills. And the Chattanooga course provided hills o' plenty. I had heard that the course featured "lots of rollers," which I suppose was true enough. Most of the climbs weren't steep, just long...painfully long. One of the first hills on the out decided to be both long and steep. A LOT of good cyclists were grinding in the small chainring/granny gear for much of the course, as I would later learn. I am not a good cyclist, so I was definitely granny-ing up some of the hills. I did manage to maintain a good cadence, though, and even had the guts to power up a few of the smaller climbs. I got the karmic smack put down on me for my good swim while biking - passed by a bunch of people (maybe 50 in total), of which several were M25-29ers. This was to be expected, though, and the guys that caught me dropped me like 3rd period French - there was no way I was re-passing them.
The out part of the course proved to be the most difficult, as the climbs on the return were shallower, and there were more downhill portions. It was a bit into the wind, but thankfully it was well within the predicted 5-10mph range. In the final 5 miles or so I managed to make up some age group ground, as we hit some pretty impressive descents. At one point I was close to spinning out my 53.
The last little bit coming back into T2 had us navigating through the riverfront portion of downtown, which thankfully was flat and fast. My legs were pretty cooked from that ride, and I was doubting my ability to run a decent 10k.
To the confusion of MANY racers, the RD decided to lengthen the bike course well beyond the standard 40k for an Oly. Coming back into town, we passed a sign which read "Mile 26," and then we rode maybe 1/3 or 1/2 a mile beyond that. Not really sure why this was the case, especially for an AG Nationals qualifying race.

Ride more hills - definitely. And probably just ride more, in general. Though, considering the course and the damn hills, I'm very happy that I held close to 20mph.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Came back across the dismount line, and promply almost fell over when I slipped on my right cleat. Straightened up, and sprinted the bike back to my rack. My seat post is set high enough that it had trouble going under the bar, so I threw it up on the brake levers. A quick change of shoes, swapped the helmet for my M-dot visor, and I was out.
There seemed to be a lot of dawdling going on in T2 - I'm not sure why. A fair number of people standing around, even more walking out. Not me, baby. I was out as fast as I could be, knowing that I would need a good run to make up for my ass-tastic bike (or so I thought at the time).

Learn to flying dismount, with shoes clipped in.
Run
  • 48m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

This was, for me, a GOOD run...nay, a GREAT run. Normally on training runs of this distance (give or take), I will stay at around 7:45/mile or so for the first 2.5-3, then the pace generally creeps up until my average is in the 8:10 range or so. Not today. The course started out with a pretty impressive uphill, during which I gritted my teeth and charged. And I continued to charge, right on until the end. I passed several hundred people on the run, and was only passed once myself.
The aid stations were well placed, but they had Powerade as their sports drink. Who, might I ask, drinks Powerade?!? They also decided to switch flavors throughout the course, which I thought was a spectacularly awful idea. Anyways...
I made it a point to slow down to grab P-ade at every station, and to walk 3 steps or so - just enough to drink without sloshing it all over myself. Then it was right back to laying it out on the course. I hit the 5k turnaround and felt great! Tired, but I knew that I was going to have a strong second half of the run.
The return was uneventful for the most part. More passing people, thankfully no being passed - all the while just maintaining a strong, steady pace. This changed at the very end of the course.
The final .2 miles were decidedly downhill, and I was running strong. I heard people coming up behind me, and I did a quick check to see what AG they were in. One guy was, quite literally, right behind me, and looked about my age. So I asked him, "hey, how old are you?" To which he replied "26." My initial, out-loud response was "oh fuck." Thanks to that infernal TT swim start, I had no idea where I stood in my AG, but I knew I would be cutting it close for an AG Nationals spot. I shot back one more look, and the guy responded "wanna go?" Oh, I want to go my friend...how I want to go. At that moment, going was all I wanted to do. So I went. HARD. I have never had an all out sprint finish, at least until that point. We were both charging full bore, at an all out sprint. I think I bested him with about 50m left, as he dropped back. I hit the line, and immediately started dry heaving. I was pretty worried I was going to ralph on the woman taking my timing chip. I think she may have been concerned too.

Nothing. This was bar none the best tri run I have ever had.
Post race
Warm down:

Stopped dry heaving, and hit the food tent. 2 pieces of pizza, a banana, a Snickers Marathon bar and some Powerade later, I was ready to collect my stuff from transition and head back to the hotel for a shower. Nina was in NYC for the weekend, so I didn't really have anybody to talk to, so I didn't hang around for too long.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills on the bike, and lack of hill training on the bike.

Event comments:

As usual, Team Magic puts on a first rate event. They were quite a bit late with the swim start, but that was totally outside their control. The course was quite challenging, but in a good way. I would recommend this race to anybody.

Most of my decision making during this tri was based on the fact that I was gunning for an AG nationals spot. This is really the first time that I have ever raced and/or competed in a tri, not counting GJCC (as I had no idea I was top 10 until after I finished, and the field wasn't particularly strong). There were some impressively fast guys on course, and I knew it would take everything I could give it to hang with them. I ended up finishing 19/65, and earned a slot to Portland next year in the process.
I also set an Oly PR by 15 minutes (my first, and only other Oly was NYC 06, where I finished 2:49:35 with a >1hr 10k), not taking into account the extra 1.5 miles of the bike course.

Last updated: 2007-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:21 | 1500 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/65
Overall: 0/1204
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca trisuit
Course: Down river point-to-point swim in the Tennessee River. There has been very little rain this summer, so there was no current assist whatsoever.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:16 | 26.25 miles | 19.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/65
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loop out and back on US-27, with a little bit in downtown to actually get over to the highway. 2627 feet of climbing (accumulated)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:50 | 06.21 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/65
Performance:
Course: Funky out and back on the riverfront walkway, with a little bit on the streets of downtown. 421 feet of climbing (accumulated)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-17 9:36 AM

User image

Master
New York
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2007-07-17 11:05 AM
in reply to: #888978

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Great race report. Made me laugh. -tastic is a great word. Congrats on the AG spot in Portland. Nice job on that run, and great that you could sprint in with someone else for motivational purposes.
2007-07-17 2:36 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

You had a kick race.  Congrats on the great performance!!!

2007-07-17 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
Great job on landing your national spot. I thought the bike was a little long. The swim times were a lot faster last year.
2007-07-18 11:58 AM
in reply to: #889863

Champion
South Jersey

Great race, and really nice race report.

I don't think I would ever want to do a TT start. It's really bummer not knowing if the guys in your AG started before or after you. I am totally impressed with how you kicked that dude's butt at the end - nice work!! You did an awesome job on a tough course...you should be really proud .

It's a bummer Nina had to miss it .

Keep up the great work and good luck at AG Nationals!!!

2007-07-18 2:54 PM

User image

i am truly impressed by your abilities! great race and report!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed