United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 31s
Overall Rank = 666/697
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 16/17
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5am and realized I was more nervous for MPM than I was for St. A's. I tried to eat but I just couldn't. I drove to the race site and the first thing I hear as I get out of the car is the announcer saying "If you're just getting here you are late...." Well I ended up having pleanty of time.
Event warmup:

I got body marked and my TA set up then ran into Jeff as I was heading to get my chip. Got in line for my chip and he told me I needed my run number.(Announcer: "3 minutes until Transition is closed") WTF?!? Run back to my TA which is about 6 racks from the other end, so I run bare foot to my bike and back to the chip table and hear, "We don't need to see your bib number, transition is almost closed." So got my chip and ran back to drop off my number. Met up with some BTers and found my family. James wanted to race with daddy. I managed to get in the water and swim about a hundred yards. Happy to see no leaks in my goggles, but the waves weren't going to cooperate.
Swim
  • 17m 38s
  • 528 yards
  • 03m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

We were off and the elbows and feet were quickly flying. I was about to go wide right after the first foot to my ribs, then I decided to just fight it out. The crowd finally thinned out after the second bouy, and I was winded. I just kept telliung myself to keep my face in the water. I had a hard time with this at St. A's. I stayed on course perfectly, which was an improvement from last year. I passed a few people from 2 waves in front of me, and that kept me motivated. A few times I tried to breathe on my right side and got a mouthful of the Gulf. After that I paid attention to my body motion with the waves and only breathed on my right after I felt the wave pass. One strong wave pushed me into the last bouy, so I just swam through it hoping not to get caught on the rope. Getting close to the shore adn I saw one more person from my wave, so I dove back down for a few more strokes, anything to pick up another spot.
What would you do differently?:

Train hard so I can start out front and not fight so much. Pay attention to the waves more. I didn't drink nearly as much as at St. A's.
Transition 1
  • 08m 18s
Comments:

The run ....walk to transition was agonizing. I ran the first half and my calves were ready to fall off. Once I was on pavement I was ready to go. Everything went on quickly and smoothly, but I had to remind myself to run my bike out. I always want to jump on right away.

Not wear socks. Find a way to float over the quick sand. I might start my my bike rides by running my bike for a hundred yards or so.
Bike
  • 55m 50s
  • 13 miles
  • 13.97 mile/hr
Comments:

I jumped on my bike and got rolling. A sharp right turn (almost a U turn) slowed me down a little. Then out to the main road and quickly at the first bridge. I was coming out of the big ring for the climb and my chain popped off. I thought I had this fixed? I was going for some water at that time and dropped my bottle. The top came off and lost all my hydration. And with the chain coming off I lost all my momemtum for the hill climb. I was happy to see the other side of the Sand Key bridge but not so happy to see the sharp left turn at the base. The Clearwater Memorial Bridge was much better. Betwen the second and third bridge I was really wanting something to drink. As I was coming into Bellair I guess I got my second wind, everything felt smoother and once I was on the final stretch back to Sand Key Park I was maintaining 18mph. Which I usually hold around 17 on flat roads. I got into the park and had a flawless dismount. It was fast, flying, and smooth.

Train more, and get my front derailure working right. I tested it the day before and all gears were working perfectly. Maybe add another bottle/holder.
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

I just got to my rack as quick as I could to get something to drink. I stuck with 50/50 Gatorade/Water.

Nothing.
Run
  • 45m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 14m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were shaky at the start so I decided to run through it. That was all fine until I hit that sand. After the first 1/4 mile in that sand I was ready to give up. Then I saw my wife and son, so I kept running. After another 1/4 mile I had to walk. And that wasn't any easier than running. I tried to pick it up once I got to the packed sand but as soon as I pushed off with my left foot my calf cramped. Almost as bad as at the Disney 1/2. In additon I forgot my hat in my car so the heat was felt on my head and starting to get to me. I decided to run, as best I could through the sun and walk in some shade. I took a gel aroudn the half way point and kept moving. As I passed mile 2 I knew there was the final turn around half mile away. And I just knew there was another water station there. I was sure of it. So I ran as much as I could and found nothing there. So I turned around and decided to run until I either passed the finish line or passed out. I started to pass some people, 6 total in the last quarter mile. Then 100 yards out I felt no pain and no thirst, there was James running out on the course just like last year. But this time it was planned. He told me the day before he wanted to run to the finish line with daddy. And that we did. He even got his own medal.

Train more and harder. Run in sand.
Post race
Warm down:

James and I posed for more pictures for the race photographer, the we walked back to find everyone. I met up with Jeff and Betsy again, and found my mom, step father and Colette. Everyone was packing up and heading out, so I made my way to some wraps and drinks. Tom and Christine found me so we talked while I finished my beer. This is the only setting I would ever have a beer before 10 am. On my way to TA I grabbed two bottles of Gatorade Endurance, they will come in handy later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training and too much weight.

Event comments:

I enjoyed the reversal of the bike course, but I think the climbs are easier coming the other way. Regardless on how I do, I will always be back to race in MPM again. After all Morton Plant did all they could for my sister.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-11-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:38 | 528 yards | 03m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/17
Overall: 0/697
Performance: Average
Suit: BT TRI Suit
Course: Along the shore against current and waves on the right.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:18
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:55:50 | 13 miles | 13.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/17
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 large bridges in Clearwater and a smaller bridge (soon to be a big one) in Belair, then back to Sand Key.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:45:19 | 03.1 miles | 14m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/17
Performance: Below average
Course: Started out on the beach with super soft sugar sand and finally made it to more packed sand and eventually pavement through the park.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-17 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
Subject: Morton Plant Mease Triathlon

2007-07-17 12:08 PM
in reply to: #889146

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Morton Plant Mease Triathlon
Hey Adam Glad you are back at it!! Congrats
2007-07-17 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Yay!  Glad you came out and fought thru all the mishaps.  Next year you'll go out there and attack it again and be victorious...again!  Nice work.  Glad you're back...it was good to be there racin' with ya again! 
2007-07-17 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Florida
It was the picture of the day with you running through the finish line with your son...he was so excited, it was absolutely adorable...congrats, it was really a tough course, you did great!!

Edited by tbctbc 2007-07-17 12:48 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Morton Plant Mease Triathlon Rss Feed