General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flagstaff, Arizona
United States
Mountain Man Events
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 50m
Overall Rank = 222/278
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/28
Pre-race routine:

The day I registered for the event a month ago, I injured my back and haven't been able to train. I traveled to Flagstaff with the ESCKTC and was only planning on being everybody's pit crew/cheerleader. That wasn't an option to them. They talked me into changing from the Oly to the Sprint. My plan was to do my best on the swim/bike, and then walk the run.

Breakfast: Two pieces of toast w/peanut butter and lots of coffee. Was fun watching everyone else go through their morning routine.

Part of my morning routine was to get dressed. I didn't get too far with this because I left both my shirt AND shorts at home! Harry came to the rescue by loaning me his skin-tight shirt and spandex shorts (which I vowed I'd never be seen in).
Event warmup:

We had to walk barefoot 100 yrds to the starting dock. I have dainty, delicate feet, which made this trek more painful than the race itself. I wasn't in the mood for a warm-up.
Swim
  • 18m 35s
  • 700 meters
  • 02m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started on the very far left because there were a ton of competitors and I chose to do a few extra meters over dealing with all the flailing arms and feet.

The gun went off, I went to start my watch and there was a message that said, "hold button to unlock". WTF?! I never locked my watch! I don't know HOW to lock my watch. So, I played around with it for a couple seconds and got it started. This was actually a good thing, because it kept me from rocketing like I did in the Tempe race.

I had a good, slow start to the side of the aqua-kickboxing match to my right and was doing a great job passing the mob. When we went around the first buoy, I was really cruising and swam around all the people who were climbing over each other to get that 2 more inches closer to the buoy.

Everything was going great. My pace was nice, I was feeling fast, and nobody was in my way, when all of a sudden the half-way point came and I decided I couldn't breathe! I had to stop and tread water while gasping for breath. Damn. It was at this point that I looked around and saw that there were no kayakers or any boats to come help if I needed it. Neato. It actually made me laugh at how screwed I was if I couldn't regain myself and this calmed me down a bit.

After all kinds of people passed me, I started moving again. By this time, all the frog-kickers and back-strokers were with me. I had to spend the rest of the race trying to get through them.

As I was exiting the water, I heard Steve call out my name and he was coming out also. He didn't look too happy and told me he puked and had a bad swim. We undid each others' suits and then made our way to the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

BREATHE!!!! This is the 2nd time I came to a race feeling perfectly prepared for the OWS, only to find myself hyperventilating 400 meters out. Why is this happening?
Transition 1
  • 05m 59s
Comments:

I came in before all the other ESCKTC crew, so I took this opportunity to phone in a pizza order, take a shower, wash my bike and welcome all of them them in from their swim and watch them take off. LOL! I was also having a hard time getting my shirt on, so Tanya walked up and yanked it down for me. She gave me some words of encouragement like "How can a 42 yr old not know how to dress himself"? and then took off.

I finished waiting for my pizza delivery, ate, and then decided to go for a bike ride.

Hurry a little. Pretend I was in a race.
Bike
  • 40m 26s
  • 11.18 miles
  • 16.59 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride felt nice. I was working hard, but had shooting pain from my hip, down my left leg every once in a while. It wasn't going to do any good to worry about it, so I just kept going and working as hard as I could. This has been my weakest event, so I found a little piece of eye-candy to draft behind after the turn-around. This kept my mind off my leg and my speed up.

One observation I did make during the race, is that only 2 people out of maybe 100 that passed me said "To you left" as they went by. Weird. I made sure I said it to the one person I passed.

Nothing. I did my best with what I had.
Transition 2
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

When I got to my transition spot, Cora was there cheering me on and asked me if I was going to try to run. I got my legs over the bike and felt my back spasm and said "No Way". I took my time getting my shoes on and took off.

Nothing
Run
  • 35m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I tried to walk, but I couldn't see why or how I could try my best for the swim and bike, only to let everyone pass me on the run. So, I started jogging slow. It was pretty painful for the first few minutes, but I loosened up and got into a slow pace. I had to walk twice to catch my breath after a hill, but I was ok with that.

The last 3/4 mile was rough. My stomach was twisted in knots and I was tired, but I kept telling myself that I could walk when I finished. I'm glad I did because Harry and Josh passed the other way and it felt great to hear them rooting me on.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

While we waited for the rest of the ESCKTC to come in, I got a nice massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being able to train this past month.

Event comments:

When I got to the finish line, they handed me a coffee cup and a medal. WOW! How did they know I liked coffee so much? AND I got a medal!!

Cora and Astrid were waiting for me at the end and welcomed me back. I actually felt pretty emotional for being back to this race after so many years, and for doing it with an injury. A lot has happened since I raced there, and it seems like things have come full-circle.

This was a great race. I will be back next year to eat up the course. I hope all my friends will be there with me again.

Last updated: 2007-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:35 | 700 meters | 02m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/278
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:59
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:26 | 11.18 miles | 16.59 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Very nice with a few small hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:23
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:48 | 03.1 miles | 11m 33s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 2:07 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-07-23 10:01 AM
in reply to: #896379

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance
The plan is to do the Half next year, right!? If you can do the Sprint with no training you can do the Half with lots of training. You have 11 months and 29 days... I'm getting started tomorrow, maybe...resting feels so good right now.

And the spandex looks good on you!
2007-07-23 10:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Pizza!!! Next time I'm setting my trasition up next to you!
2007-07-23 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great report, Chris!  I'm really glad you were able to race.  I've had a lot of issues with open water myself, although I think I finally have the situation under control (it has ataken a while).  And way to get that Fuji moving over those mountains!
2007-07-23 10:45 AM
in reply to: #896880

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
steve0480 - 2007-07-23 8:30 AM

Pizza!!! Next time I'm setting my trasition up next to you!

Then you'll be puking on the bike too!
2007-07-23 11:03 AM

Pro
AZ
Great job Chris. See how powerful the mind can be? Sometimes it's what you need to push you through some of the body's uncooperative times.  You went at your own pace and you did your own race. You got out of it what you wanted to get out of it and actually surprised yourself.  You did awesome!

2007-07-23 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ

LOL - I felt the same way about my T1. Next year when you're taking 3rd in the Half IM you'll be thankful for those chafe-free spandex

I'll definitely be back for the 1/2 next year. Hope to see you there (and on the journey)

2007-07-23 4:42 PM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
We undid each others' suits and then made our way to the transition area.

Bow Chicka Wow Wow!!! Sorry I missed that! YUM! Two dudes undressing eachother. So let me get this straight, you cannot undress yourself nor dress yourself.

BUT YOU CAN RACE! And with all you have been through you DID AMAZING! Really I am so proud of you. To be honest I am pretty sure most people would have taken the DNS, but you didn't, says alot about you. I know it was not the race you had in mind but it was a race nonetheless AND you got a coffee cup and a MEDAL for it! WOOT!

I was CRACKING up at your T1, sorry I missed the pizza, I was a bit out of it in T1. And at least your bike looked pretty for the ride! I am so bummed I missed you in your spandex, you bet your britches I will be scouring the race course pics!!! :p
2007-07-23 11:57 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-25 12:02 AM

Veteran
Flagstaff, AZ
I feel your pain on the swim. Why is it so easy to breathe in the pool, and then when you're in the middle of a lake someone takes all the air away? It sounds like you had a good race, particularly nursing an injury. Your T1 time was only like a minute slower than mine and I didn't stop for pizza.
2007-07-25 9:41 AM

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Great race Chris. I am so happy that you got to do the sprint. With very little training these past few weeks, you pulled out a great performance. You have to be happy with that!

OWS is not easy in races. You did great

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed