General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Windsor, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 9s
Overall Rank = 66/759
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 1/30
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:15 and drove 1 hour to the race. Huge coffee, bagel, Gu drink, banana on the ride.

Got there early to avoid the crowds. While topping off my tires I saw that one of my valves was broken, so i had to do a tube change, but luckily that was smooth.

Event warmup:

10 min jog around the race site after transition was set up. Saw huge line of cars coming in and was glad i was early. No lines on the port-o-johns made me even happier I was early.

No wetsuits allowed, so I went for a dip to make sure I can float in OW without one.
Swim
  • 10m 20s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really pushed myself here, compared to my 2 other tri swims where I felt i held back a bit, but it didn't seem to help my time. This tells me I have form issues. I'm faster in the pool than I used to be, but not in OW. I must be letting go of some form in the race situation.
What would you do differently?:

I am gonna have to join a masters group and get some coaching and up my yardage.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

did the rubber bands on the bike shoes and running mount and it worked great.

i'm still racing with socks. need to train without sock for sprints to shave some time and eliminate a step.
Bike
  • 38m 1s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 21.31 mile/hr
Comments:

had a strong bike which was suprising considering i haven't trained much on the bike once since my Olympic a month ago. Course was very congested in spots, especialy where the roads weren't closed and there was car traffic.

i need to get a road or tri bike. although it's fun seeing how fast i can go on my mountain bike it's limiting my potential. I got passed by a couple of guys in my division on sweet rides and that was frustrating. Anyone selling a tall guy bike for under $800?
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

had a nice rolling dismount and flew through t2.

nada
Run
  • 22m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

had a PR 5K run. Felt good. I didn't see anyone in my division coming towards me before the turnaround, so i didn't have anyone specifically to target for a chase down, so i just pretended there were guys ahead of me i needed to catch. I also pretended there was a guy chasing me down. This seemed to prevent me from getting lazy and gave me an extra gear. Turns out i needed it as the guy who came in 2nd in our division was only 7 seconds behind me and running alot faster than me. If the race was 100 feet longer he probably would have passed me. At the time I had no idea he was stalking me. Yikes.

go faster! this race taught me that every second counts.
Post race
Warm down:

First race without the family there, which was a bummer, but it did allow me to hang out and enjoy the triathlon scene. Watched and cheered the other racers finish. Also was able to watch the elite Olympic guys and gals come into transition and finish which was really cool. talk about fast.

It was cool to get my first podium appearance (although, to my dissapointment there was no actual podium or flower babes like in the TDF!! c'mon CGI :)). Racing in Clydes my first year has been a good motivator to get faster and be competitive, but once I get under 210 and ditch the mountain bike, i think i'm gonna switch to my age group and take my thrashing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

poor swimming relative to bike and run is the main thing.

Event comments:

great race. CGI does a great job.

Last updated: 2007-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:20 | 547 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 203/759
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: V shaped out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:01 | 13.5 miles | 21.31 mile/hr
Overall: 79/759
Wind: Little
Course: fairly flat. very crowded in spots
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:13 | 03.11 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 78/759
Course: mostly shaded trail run
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Havertown, PA
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-07-23 11:48 AM
in reply to: #897060

User image

Veteran
Bucks County
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance
dude. I'm still sppechless about the 22mph on a mountain bike. Good god.
Great race. Congrats.
2007-07-23 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, NJ
For the love of all creatures big and small - great race. You did AWESOME - gratz espically at being first in your group!

I was alone too, my wife broke her toe and the daughter showed up late, sorry we didn't connect, would have been nice to meet up (and for me to hang out with a winner!)

I can't believe that you avg over 21mph on a mountain bike! Good lord that makes me so jealous. You're fast as hell and if you did drop out of Clyde into M35-39, you still would have been 8th in your AG (and you kicked my a$$ by over 6 minutes ... so actually stay in clydes please ).

Great race, gratz again.
2007-07-23 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Great race. Holy smokies.....a mountain bike.......and 22 MPH... good god. That's just great.

Nice race.
2007-07-24 3:58 PM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
great race..... just like everyone else said.... 22mph on a MNT bike WOW.....  you had a great run time as well....
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed