CGI Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 26m 41s
Overall Rank = 602/627
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 29/31
Pre-race routine:

As always, alarm goes off and I think to myself "now WHY did I think this was a good idea?" but I get up and start getting things together. Water and a PBJ waffle, which I only ate about 3/4 of. My stomach was slightly annoyed with me. Husband breaks about 10 beer bottles in the garage fridge while trying to extract a few beers, sodas, and juice pouches for the cooler. I keep quiet while he cleans up beer and glass, hoping he's not cursing me for getting him up so early in the first place. Left the house a half hour later than planned but there was NO traffic getting in so we were okay.
Event warmup:

Porta-potty pee-pee dance. Setting up Transition, jockeying bags of my stuff, bags of keepthekidoccupied stuff, and the digital camera. Walking to the swim start, and pulling a knife-like chunk of mulch out of the bottom of my foot. Yeow!
Swim
  • 38m 11s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

Good swim. Super calm. Lake was very 'thick,' couldn't see my hand catch & pull, let alone figure out where someone was in front for drafting. Forgot to start my watch until a few minutes in, d'OH!

Smaller bouys were set up in the 'rectangle' part because they row crew on the lake, kept finding myself inside them so I KNOW I did a lot of drifting. I think it cost me some time. Would be v. v. amusing to have a GPS path of me on the swim :) Caught up with some of the previous wave, got SWUM over at the end by 2 waves behind - that was a little disturbing, I think it was the Clyde guys.
What would you do differently?:

Get better at swimming in a straight line. Pull a little harder - being my first Oly, I took it a little easier than I could have just to save some oomph for the rest of the course. Would have liked to see 36 min, but I'm good for now.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

It's a little bit of a run up the cement dock, over asphalt, then up a sandy, rocky hill, and back onto asphalt in the transition area. For once, I didn't feel like I was forgetting anything!

Stop being such a tenderfoot - every step was Ow, oof, yeouch, ow.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 6s
  • 23.5 miles
  • 16.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Like the swim, I think I could have taken this a little harder. Saw Jennifer a few times (she was always on the out while I was on the in part of an out-and-back, d'oh!) but she was the only one I recognized. Did a little passing, but not much. Saw a gal down for the count right after the loop inside the college - looked like she ran into a parked car. Someone was already with her, and I was tempted to stop but some spectators were also calling for help. I still feel bad I didn't stop, but what was I going to do?

I wanted to get a bar into me, because I always need solid food after a swim, but I just couldn't choke it down. I think I ate half and gave up. At about 10 miles in, I took a GU, and all along I was drinking my MaXade (DIY gatorade). I was happy it went down well.

Unfortunately, the side and back of my r. knee started to feel punky at about 16 miles or so. I was hoping it wouldn't happen, but I had a feeling it would. Damn. My calves have been acting up lately, very crampy, and the tendon on the outside of my knee is cranky when I ride (I may need a wedge). Also did something to my calves last Sunday - between weeding the garden and a power yoga session, my legs were seriously unhappy with me and I don't think I fully recovered. With the punk creeping in, I took it easy after that, trying to save a little for the run. Glad I did, because the run was tough enough.

Beat my calves into submission :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Saw Kathy in the transition, she had a bad swim and a good bike so we met up here :) It was funny because I got done before she did and I hesitated a bit, feeling bad for leaving without her. And then I thought - Dummy, it's a RACE! :)

Care about transition time? :)
Run
  • 1h 18m 33s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Oy. My downfall. I'm a pokey-slow runner to begin with, and with the calves screaming, I was even slower. Kathy caught up to me and passed pretty quickly (but it was nice to give and get some love every time we passed on a loop!). My left ear was clicky with lake water (still!), and I had a good case of the exercise-snots going on - my kingdom for a tissue!! The whole run, my mantra was "I believe in my ability to RUN THIS RACE!" I have no idea where it came from, but I held on to it, repeating it in my head over and over. At the first loop turnaround, the volunteer gal was GREAT, just yelling positive stuff to everyone, she really got the spirits up. Coming back from the 2nd loop, seeing transition and hearing Hot Legs (Rod Stewart) on the sound system, that was just what I needed. Nothing like a little R&R to keep the feet moving!

The water stop had apple-cinnamon Hammer gel and I wanted a gel but not THAT one. I hate when I get all picky, but I knew the apple-pie taste wasn't going to go over well. I had a gel of my own in my racebelt pouch, but strawberry-banana sounded even worse. Thankfully, there was another station to start the 2nd half of the run, and they had the raspberry Hammer - grabbed that (after kissing hubby and high-fiving the kidlet, who were right there) and grabbed a Heed. That was new too, thankfully the Heed was happy in the belly and the raspberry gel hit the spot!

It didn't do a lot for my run, however, because things got hot and sunny and LONG after that. I had a TON of energy but couldn't use it because my calves were like rocks and the tendon behind my right knee was *screaming.* I thought I was never going to hit the turnaround. I just repeated my mantra a lot, and focused on trying to relax my legs while still keeping them moving. I was so relieved to finally hit that turnaround... I don't remember much about the way back, it seemed a lot faster than the way out, I was just so glad to be in the homestretch.

My watch was telling me I would be in right between my stretch goal time and my reality time, so that helped too :)

Skip the gardening and the power yoga last weekend!!
Post race
Warm down:

Kathy and Jen were both there for a photo-finish. Hubby Dave (K.'s husband) and Muffin (my hubby) were there, as well as our fearless bike leader, Chuck. I only had it in me to say hi, get a picture, and then I just desparately needed to get out of the sun.

I had seen the clock saying 4:11, and I was REALLY disappointed because my watch was saying I did okay. WTF?? Starting 3 waves back, that still meant I finished in just under 4 hours... uh, I know I forgot to set my watch until a little ways into the swim, but half an hour??

Well, I'm a dolt, the clock was the WHOLE race time, including the sprinters who started a half hour before us. So I was mopey for NOTHING, and didn't GET IT until I saw times posted online later. Again - d'OH! :)

Stood in line to get my calves massaged (good, but not 100%), drank a ton of water and some sweet tea and felt a lot better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'll say it one more time - CALVES. Can I get new legs on eBay??

Event comments:

This race is awesome. Well organized, well staffed, great location, no traffic issues - top notch!

There were lots of BT'ers that I missed seeing/meeting. I thought we'd have a little setup of our own with the Tri Club thing, but I guess that fell through. Oh well - next year, we'll plan it a bit better, because I know I'm coming back for more! I've got a half hour to erase from that race time of mine! :)

Last updated: 2007-02-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:11 | 1500 meters | 02m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/627
Performance: Good
Suit: tri top & shorts
Course: over to the left, a long run down the lake, open rectangle around the buoys, back in and L right to the shore. Hard to describe :)
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:25:06 | 23.5 miles | 16.57 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: A loop around the park with a lot of out-and-back loops built in. A few little rolly hills here and there, some tight turns esp. in the out-and-backs, but mostly very nice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:18:33 | 06.2 miles | 12m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Olys to the left for a 3.1 mile run, 2 separate out-and-backs in the park, the first part nice and shady along the lake. Then back by transition to pick up the sprint 3.1, a long out-and-back that never seemed to end!! Mostly along open field, so little shade, and some rolly hills that I tried my best to ignore.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon

2007-07-23 1:04 PM
in reply to: #897152

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon

hey girly-girl! awesome race report for an awesome job... you really did great. pushed through the sore calves and everything...! way to go!

next year we'll be way more organized for meetups

congratulations on your first OLY! (it was your first, right?)

2007-07-23 1:28 PM
in reply to: #897277

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Mary!  Yep, first real OLY - the Long Branch race we're calling a "sproly" because it was somewhere between a sprint and an oly distance

2007-07-23 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran

next year i'm going to ask about getting that blue line painted on the bottom of mercer lake.

you did so great!  with an olympic done, what is next? 

2007-07-23 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
GREAT JOB! I was swam over as well, it's a very disconcerting feeling. Are bionic calves legal with the USAT? Maybe we should look into that, maybe get an official written opinion from them. I'm sure we could get them installed during the winter.

Next year BT definitely needs an area and a SIGN! Jay (Sluggo) and I were looking for one - we really wanted to meet others from the site.
2007-07-23 3:10 PM
in reply to: #897504

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks Carol!   What's next?  MORE OLY!   I like this distance better than the sprint... there's more time to get into a "groove" in each event.  I need more base, so I think training and racing at these distances will give me what I'm looking for.  That, and until kidlet is in school, or I win the lottery, it's all I have TIME for !

2007-07-23 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hrm, bionic calves, why didn't I think of that??

I think maybe I'll drop Marma an email about getting banners made up for events like this.  See if there's any rules/criteria for BT logos etc. 

2007-07-23 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Nice job out there. Congrats on a strong race.
2007-07-23 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank YOU, Mr. Sprint Race Winner !!  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon Rss Feed