General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Traditional" Sprint vs. "TriOOO" Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
"Traditional" Sprint vs. "TriOOO" Sprint Distance
OptionResults
TriOOO Sprint distances are too short0 Votes - [0%]
TriOOO Sprint distances are too long2 Votes - [10.53%]
TriOOO Sprint distances are just right4 Votes - [21.05%]
TriOOO sounds like a pseudo-Oly13 Votes - [68.42%]

2007-07-26 5:40 PM

User image

God's Country (WI)
Subject: "Traditional" Sprint vs. "TriOOO" Sprint Distance
The Spirit of Racine announced a change in their format for 2008, when they will become part of the Triathlon One O One series. For people doing the Sprint/shortest distance available, that means the swim will go from 750 meters to a full half mile. The bike will go from 20K to 20 miles and the run will go from 5K to 5 miles.

I was signed up this year, but sliced my foot open the day before and couldn't participate. The organizers were nice enough to allow me to transfer registration to next year's event for only $15, but I have to say, I'm kind of bummed out about the change of format.

I've only been to about a half dozen tris in my life, but I saw more people get yanked out of Lake Michigan during the Sprint race this year, than I've seen at all the other races combined. I know the Sunday race is the big one and draws all the attention, but one would think the Saturday Sprint would generate more interest than the 300+ participants they had. Personally, I think Lake Michigan kept more from participating. It's too cold for many (it was low-60s on race morning), potentially too choppy for others and just downright intimidating in general.

The rest of the course is relatively flat, so I don't think those distances are too bad, but I wondered why the Sprint swim was 750m, when most sprints are significantly shorter and held in signficantly easier conditions? Now they've announced they're going to increase the distances even more for 2008! I'm used to Lake Michigan and although I'd prefer a shorter swim, that doesn't bother me as much as the run. Five miles is a long run for me, when I'm trying to save my knees, ankles and back from too much pounding

I'll do the 25.5 next year, but probably not in future years. It's just too long. I do these to stay in shape and don't have any interest in competing. If I did, I'd probably do the longer distances. I know Sprint races always seem to tinker with the distances and it seems like the TriOOO series is trying to standardize things more, which I suppose is good for a competitor, but as a regular old participant, the shortest distance they came up with just doesn't appeal to me. What do you think about a Sprint that consists of a half mile swim, 20 mile bike ride and five mile run?

2007-07-26 5:52 PM
in reply to: #903107

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: RE: "Traditional" Sprint vs. "TriOOO" Sprint Distance

Man, I'm glad YOU read the email...I completely missed that...

Based on those distances, it's sounds like they are turning into an Oly.  I'd mused on Sunday that they should ADD an oly to Saturday, that it might generate more interest. 

Gonna have too look at this a little closer.  I'll be able to do the distance, it's just bizarre.

2007-07-26 5:57 PM

User image

over a barrier
That is only a 50 meter or so addition to the swim next year...doesn't seem like that big of an issue to me.

The sprint I did this year was 600 meters, seems to be in range to me.

The change most likely is the results of roads and the routes they've got permits for....

2007-07-26 5:57 PM

User image

Silverdale, WA
All of my sprints except for 1 have been at least 1/2 mile on the swim. Besides the jump in swim distance, I think I would rather just do an Olympic event rather than the TriOOO format. 5 miles on the bike and 1.2 on the run don't seem like enough of a difference to keep people from doing the longer race. Might as well not have a sprint distance at all if this is the format that they decide to standardize everything with.
2007-07-26 6:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seems right in line with the tri101 idea. I like it the sprints around here are an 800m swim so no chnage there. but this gives a nice little longer than most sprints but not yet up to an oly. Wish there was one of those near me next year I would be all over it.
2007-07-26 10:22 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
yeah the bike is way too long but the run is ok but little long but the swim is ok though the location of the swim is tough.

2007-07-27 7:58 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
First I would like to say I'm sorry you didn't get to participate and for the injury. The more the merrier I say in races.

Secondly, interesting bump in distances. Swim distance, eh. Only 50m more and to tell the truth, not the only Sprint swim I've seen that is close to the 1/2 mile. The bike and run, on the other hand is an interesting little bump up.

If you think about it in %, the bike will be just over a 60% increase in distance. Same with the run. That's fairly significant. Now, the distances are still "short" enough where that amount of increase isn't to terribly bad, but none the less, a 60% increase. To me, it is almost as if they are trying to get out of metric and go to standard. Just a thought.

Anyway, I will still be doing it next year because I want to beat my swim time from this year. Heck, maybe it will be a good way to get me moving to a true Oly.
2007-07-28 1:39 PM

User image

God's Country (WI)
I know the bump for the swim isn't that significant, compared to the increase for the bike and run. However, the swim is already pretty substantial, compared to many (but not all) other races in our area and Lake Michigan is probably the toughest OWS site outside of another Great Lake or ocean.

A lot of people gave up on the swim this year, but I don't know if many more will next year. I think the overall increase in distances, combined with the conditions people experienced in the water this year might give a lot of casual participants second thoughts about doing SOR versus other races in the area. I guess we'll have to wait until next year to find out.
2007-07-28 5:06 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

this is the distance of the race I am doing next weekend  (copperman tri in the UP) and i thought it was just a race-specific thing.

2007-07-28 6:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
the upping of the swim to 800m and half that of an oly seems like an ok idea. Though why increase it to over 50% of the distance when 750m is half of 1500m, i'm not sure. the difference shouldn't matter though really.

Upping the bike and run distances that much seems stupid to me though. IMO a sprint should be about half an oly so 750m swim, 20km cycle and a 5km run. anything more than 10-20% over that and I think you should stop calling it a sprint.

There's a race over here which is a bit like what they're proposing but it's not called a sprint.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Traditional" Sprint vs. "TriOOO" Sprint Distance Rss Feed