United States
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 40s
Overall Rank = 6/82
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4am. Didn't actually get out of bed until about 4:35. After I finally got out of bed I ate my usual pre-race meal of a kellog cereal bar and a glass of water. Got all the neccesities rounded up and in the bag. Fixed myself a bottle of Gatorade to drink on the way. Was out the door by 6:15. Arrived at Lake Afton at about 7:25. There was only a few people there so I managed to get a good parking spot. Without many people being there I also got a prime spot on the bike rack!!! 2nd row, End closest to bike out.
Event warmup:

I usually don't really warmup for a triathlon. I did get in the water and swim a little just to get my arms moving. But it wasn't very much at all.
Swim
  • 13m 6s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Everybody decided to start out wide which left the best line with nobody in it. Myself and 1 other guy got on the shortest line with everyone else about 25 yards to our left. I don't understand why we were the only ones who chose the shortest line. Sighted good the whole swim. Felt shoulder burn fairly early in the swim. I can probably relate that to the fact that I haven't been swimming that much. Fought through the pain simply because I wanted to have a good race.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more? During competition I usually have to breath every stoke for a while. Just until I get settled down. Today it seemed like I was breathing every stroke for a while.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

No problems here. I loved it when Greg said "How did you beat me out of the water?" My reply "Greg I beat you out of the water and I'm going to beat you on the bike and I'm going to beat you on the run!"

Get used to cycling and running without socks. That is definately time consuming
Bike
  • 33m 46s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 22.09 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was a little different from last year due to road construction. There aren't any big climbs on this course but it is never flat either. I really liked this bike course. Tough but not to tough! This is the first time I have raced my bike since I made the upgrades and I think I definately noticed aero improvements. Also first race on the new wheels. LOVED them

??? I think I had about the best ride I could have had. I guess just ride more and get stronger.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

I love T2. Everything seems to go so fast.

Once again learn to ride and run without socks. I also need to practice getting out of my shoes before T2. That actually scares me a little.
Run
  • 19m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Got out probably too fast. But it's always easier for me to settle down rather than speed up. I love catching people on the run within the first mile I had passed 3 people. Miles 1&2 were right on 6:25 I was able to look at my watch and calculate that. I didn't see my 3rd mile split simply because I was trying to catch Chrissy and Andrew. Awesome run for the final leg of a tri.

Start out a little slower and try to build into a faster pace rather than the opposite. Still don't think it bothered me in the end. I still had a good run.
Post race
Warm down:

Had to walk back to the 2 mile mark to pick up my sun glasses. I figured I better get some water on my head at the water stop and I didn't want to have to deal with my glasses. Luckily I knew everybody at the water stop so I just handed them off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training!

Event comments:

This is definately one of my favorite races. The tri club held a BBQ after the race. For only being 2 years old I think this race is very well organized. This will definately become on of the premier races in Kansas in a few years. Check out www.ksrvtc.com for results

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:06 | 820 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 16/82
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Shorts
Course: Triangular course. Out about 50m then a right turn for about 300m around a bouy then back to bouy #1, left turn back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:46 | 12.43 miles | 22.09 mile/hr
Overall: 11/82
Wind: Little
Course: You go left after exiting Lake Afton. At the first intersection turn South from there it is out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:58 | 03.11 miles | 06m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 4/82
Course: 1 loop around the west side of the lake. Pancake flat, always makes for a good run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-29 8:01 AM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: Mudwater Triathlon

2007-07-30 9:31 AM
in reply to: #905480

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Mudwater Triathlon
Nice Race!
2007-07-30 11:46 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
DUDE! To say you rocked it is an understatement! Congrats on winning your age group, you posted some amazing times.

PS is your helmet pink, or is that just the sunlight hitting it funny?

2007-07-30 3:39 PM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
PINK...It's actually purple. And I'm not afraid to admit it. It is a team in training helmet.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mudwater Triathlon Rss Feed