General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post IM blues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-29 10:51 AM

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Subject: Post IM blues
So I just finished the Lake Placid Ironman one week ago and now my life is back to "normal" and I want to be back in Lake Placid doing it all over again. I fully intend to in 2009 but what do you do to keep the high going. I was talking with my girlfriend a few days ago and we've decided to run the Boston marathon again in '08 since we both have already qualified and I'm thinking to myself, big f***ing deal the Boston marathon, its just not Lake Placid. Where do you go from here? Anyone else suffer from post IM blues? What do you do about it.

Chris Murray

2007-07-29 11:18 AM
in reply to: #905562

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Post IM blues
Yep, I get 'em. Although if I was a Boston qualifier, that w/b big effing enough deal to keep ME going. But everyone is different. After the first IM, my wife and I threw a party to celebrate, and I started a new job. That did a pretty good job of softening the post-race landing. We did our 2nd IM at LP last weekend, and this time we went out and bought a couple of new bikes right after the race. Jury is still out on whether or not material gratification is an effective therapy...bloody expensive, though!!

IM is a big thing to prepare for and look forward to - and when it's over, it's over. That's why I savor the experience for as many hours as I do on race day You'll be fine in a couple of weeks - just hang in there! And good luck at Boston!

Bill

Edited by billcobit 2007-07-29 11:19 AM
2007-07-29 12:01 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
I did Boston in '99 and IM WI in '06.  Its normal to have post-IM blues, or any post-race blues.  However, you cannot compare Boston to an IM.  Yeah, I'm sure the crowd support at Placid was great, and so were the crowds in Madison.  But, it is hard to beat the history and crowd support of Boston.  Until you have experienced hearing the screams of the women of Wellesley College in your ears (it truly is deafening), and the festive activities in each town along the marathon course, you are missing out big time.  The blues will disappear in a week or so and then you can re-focus.  Good luck.
2007-07-29 12:12 PM

Champion

Last year after I finished, I started painting my house, so that took a lot off my mind.  This year I have no special project, though I have to concentrate on my running for the Marine Corps Marathon in late October.  You do need some sort of focus point, just to get out of the post IM blues.

2007-07-29 1:38 PM
in reply to: #905602

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
You're right, Boston is pretty cool. Last time I ran it I just sat back and enjoyed, didn't go for a PR. This time my goal is to break 3 1/2 hours. So, how long do you take it easy after an IM distance event before you start adding tempo and speed to your workouts. I though 4-5 weeks would be necessary but I taught a Spin class this morning and felt so good, I'm dying to go to the track and do some intervals. I've also heard that a good rule of thumb is to take one day off/easy for every hour you raced which would make it about a two week break for me.

Thanks,

Chris
2007-07-29 3:34 PM
in reply to: #905654

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

qtownmom - 2007-07-29 1:38 PM You're right, Boston is pretty cool. Last time I ran it I just sat back and enjoyed, didn't go for a PR. This time my goal is to break 3 1/2 hours. So, how long do you take it easy after an IM distance event before you start adding tempo and speed to your workouts. I though 4-5 weeks would be necessary but I taught a Spin class this morning and felt so good, I'm dying to go to the track and do some intervals. I've also heard that a good rule of thumb is to take one day off/easy for every hour you raced which would make it about a two week break for me. Thanks, Chris

Everyone recovers different.  But I've heard a lot of people feel good for a couple weeks and then it hits them 2 or 3 weeks later, especially if they jump back into hard or long training sessions quickly.  I think it's wise to keep it easy for a few weeks and build back up gradually.  But there are always exceptions to every rule as well.  Listen to your body carefully. 

2007-07-29 3:57 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

JK is correct. I usually have my IMers not run AT ALL for 2 weeks after the race, and swim and bike at easy to moderate paces. Your body has just gone through a very traumatic experience and  you need to let it recover fully before you start training hard again. The one caveat to this is that everyone recovers differently and your body may heal itself in less time. Better to be safe than sorry (injured)!

On the topic of the blues, it's perfectly normal. You just spent the last year of your life training for this one day and now its gone. All of the sudden you have all this free time and no clear goal to work for. My advice is to set an new goal (whether it be another IM, qualifying for Boston, getting faster at Oly's) and work toward that. We as triathletes are a goal driven bunch so it will help to have another carrot out there to chase. Before you decide anything, it is a good idea to take an inventory of your life and see where you are away from training. Training for an IM is an extremely self-centered (selfish?) endevour and we tend to neglect our non-tri friends and family during this time. Make sure all those relationships are repaired before you jump into something else.

Good Luck! 

2007-07-29 4:24 PM
in reply to: #905734

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Excellent point rocket man, I noticed that during my taper weeks I was doing so much stuff with my boys, batting cages, driving range, mini golf, nature hikes that I hadn't done all year and realized I had just been too darn tired by the end of the day to get my butt off the couch. I certainly will make a point to re-connect with friend and family and have a conversation that does not contain the words ironman or Lake Placid.

Thanks
2007-07-29 7:38 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Boston is about placing well and doing a fast time. Much in the same way the olympic 3000m race isn't about doing the distance, but doing it really really well.
2007-07-29 8:26 PM

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Actually, I ran my first marathon two years ago in Philly just to build some running base for triathlon and ended up qualifying for Boston by two minutes. Didn't realize it until my very good friend who is all about marathons told me and convinced me to run Boston with her. I love to run but my heart in in triathlon so I went up there to enjoy running the marathon without stressing over my time. I'm going back this year for the PR.

By the way, I'm a 40 something female so I only need to run a 3:50 marathon to qualify so don't be impressed. They take it easy on us old ladies.

Chris
2007-08-09 7:10 PM
in reply to: #906001

Online or Offline

qtownmom - 2007-07-29 9:26 PM  By the way, I'm a 40 something female so I only need to run a 3:50 marathon to qualify so don't be impressed. They take it easy on us old ladies. Chris

I'm friggin impressed

2007-08-09 8:49 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I did IM FL '06 and I still think I have some post race blues.  I've been focusing on my running and have been running a lot- I ran my first 50K this year and had a marathon PR.  I'm trying to work toward Boston.  I have a fall marathon lined up and I'm excited to run it.  Although for some reason in the back of my head I keep thinking it's not the same as the IM.  I know I shouldn't compare because they are so different.  But for me it seems like nothing is as rewarding or gratifying as the IM. I am dying to do another IM but don't want to devote all the time training right now.  I'm catching up with other areas of my life that were neglected during my training.  So I kinda feel a little "lost" at the moment.  I haven't done any tri's this season and I just don't have the motivation to do one unless it's an IM.  It's all very strange and I can't seem to shake it.
2007-08-09 9:34 PM

User image

Novi, MI
Very interesting post. Having never done IM, I never considered the blues.

Good luck in Boston. Enjoy the party and rock-star atmosphere. You will high five 500 kids in the 1st 2 miles - it is truly amazing. The roar of Wellesley and the excitement of turning left on Boylson Ave is something that will stick with you.
2007-08-10 8:33 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA

After IMAZ this year i went into a bad funk for two months, and a lesser funk for two more months. I didn't want to work out and I was getting angry easily (one of my lovlier character flaws).  Time and getting back out there to train has helped, as has a healthy dose of reading.  I'm curious if folks who had less of a stretch to get ready for IronMan could feel better sooner. I hope so!  I plan on having a better base and suffering a bit less on race day for IMFL 2008.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post IM blues Rss Feed