Wauconda Park District
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 20s
Overall Rank = 7/251
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/26
Pre-race routine:

The usual. Get up, have a clif bar and a bannana. Drink some water. Was the 2nd or 3rd person to transition, so I got a sweet transition spot on the end. Racked the bike and waited for my two college buddies to show up. They racked right next to me. We talked over some race strategies.
Event warmup:

Took a jog
Swim
  • 11m 5s
  • 804 meters
  • 01m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great swim. We went off with the 30-34 year olds, so I drafted off the eventual winner of the race for the first 200m, and then I couldn't keep up. Had good sighting and felt very in control the whole swim. It was nice to be able to use the wetsuit this year, since last year we didn't get that luxury. 1st overall AG!!! Pretty sweet.

2006 time: 13:30 (no wetsuit)
2007 time: 11:05 (wetsuit)

What would you do differently?:

Not much. My line to the second buoy was a little off, but not much.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Most of this time is the run from the pier to the transition. Got to my rack, threw off my suit, put on helmet (shades were in bento box), and off to the races.

Nada
Bike
  • 41m 23s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike. I had made the mental decision to try and keep my HR in Z3 for this ride. I usually do these shorter races in Z4 and my run sucks, so I wanted to see if that would help any. I stayed disciplined and just spun up the hills. I did hammer a little toward the end, but its hard not to when the last 4 miles are pretty much downhill.

Considering the number of hills and my plan, I am happy with this speed. And I never got passed, which is another 1st for me.

2006 time: 42:17 (little short)
2007 time: 41:23

I liked the plan. I have to continue to improve and figure out that balancing point where my run starts to get destroyed.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Decent transition. I had a better spot here. I had to put my socks on and my feet were sweatier than normal. Took awhile to get them on, but OK. I could be faster.

Learn to run these short distances w/o socks?
Run
  • 21m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

The run felt good. I started off at a pretty decent pace and the legs felt good. I could hear this guy coming up behind me. He was really breathing hard. I pulled over a little to the right so he could pass and he made it to my shoulder, but never passed. He was really puffing. So, I figured I would just stay in front of him. I found out later he was in my age group, so he was definitely trying to make the move.

I ran a good race. Not to many people around me, though. My legs felt good and I kept my HR in a comfortable range for the first mile. I looked down and saw 7:05m/m after the first mile marker. That was good, b/c I knew I could start to put the hammer down, since I only had a couple of miles left. I gradually picked up the pace and ran the last 2.1 miles over the LTHR. I really pushed it towards the end.

This was a great run for me. I have done sub 7m/m in straight 5Ks, but just couldn't do it off the bike. Now, I have. And I will hopefully get stronger on the run as I gear up for the Chicago Marathon.

Splits were like this (my Garmin had it at 3.14, but close enough)

1m: 7:05m/m
2m: 6:59m/m
3m: 6:46m/m
  • 14m: 5:58m/m (I was feeling good still)

• Guess what? I didn't get passed on the run, either. Not sure, if that is an indication of my improvement, or more of an indication that the other people in the race weren't as fast as they normally are. Probably a little of both.

I think I could have pushed even harder here. But my best run to date in a triathlon, so I am learning.
    Post race
    Warm down:

Find wife and kids. Have some water and get ready for my two buddies to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much again. More training, and more experience. Continue to improve at all facets. Could have used a taper, and racing one week after an HIM probably isn't the smartest thing...but darn these races are fun!!!

Event comments:

Great race for me. I am learning more and more at each race I do. It was nice to get the Donkai shorts up on the podium again. With all the Donkeys in the area, we should start a podium shrine of Donkeyness??

2006 time: 1:22:05
    2007 time: 1:16:20

Almost 6 minutes shaved off on a sprint is good progress, methinks.

The people of Wauconda put on a great race. The venue is perfect. Nice to get a hilly race in this area. Many volunteers and they are all great. The transition area opened up late, but everything can't run smoothly.

Great race for this area if you are considering one.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-05-09 12:00 AM
    Swimming
    00:11:05 | 804 meters | 01m 23s / 100meters
    Age Group: 2/26
    Overall: 7/251
    Performance: Good
    Suit: Yes
    Course: Basically across the lake.
    Start type: Run Plus: Waves
    Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
    200M Perf. Average Remainder:
    Breathing: Drafting:
    Waves: Navigation: Good
    Rounding:
    T1
    Time: 01:22
    Performance: Average
    Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
    Suit off:
    Yes
    Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
    Jump on bike: Yes
    Getting up to speed: Average
    Biking
    00:41:23 | 15 miles | 21.75 mile/hr
    Age Group: 3/26
    Overall: 12/251
    AHR for the bike was 151.
    Wind: Little
    Course: Basically a loop around the lake. It is pretty hilly for this area. Not as Hilly as Verona, but more hills than SOR. I really like this course. It was slightly longer this year (.2-.3 miles) b/c of road construction, but still close to the 15.
    Road:   Cadence:
    Turns: Cornering:
    Gear changes: Hills:
    Race pace: Drinks:
    T2
    Time: 00:55
    Overall: Average
    Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
    Jumping off bike
    Running with bike
    Racking bike
    Shoe and helmet removal
    Running
    00:21:37 | 03.11 miles | 06m 57s  min/mile
    Age Group: 1/26
    Overall: 14/251
    See below. AHR for entire run was 163.
    Course: Hilly. Some good climbs, with a major climb at the end. Nice challenging run.
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall:
    Mental exertion [1-5]
    Physical exertion [1-5]
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Good
    Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
    2007-07-29 4:46 PM

User image

Expert
    NW Suburbs, Illinois
    Subject: Wauconda Sprint Triathlon

2007-07-30 10:02 AM
    in reply to: #905781

User image

Elite
    Muskego, WI
    Subject: RE: Wauconda Sprint Triathlon
    Keek azz race, and great finishing shot with the arms in the air!  Nice <7 run, you doggie.
    2007-07-30 1:04 PM

User image

Master
    Delafield, Wisconsin
    Donkus Von Maximus. Great race! Amazing when you think that this was less than a week after your HIM. Really a complete race for you. Good stuff.
    2007-08-02 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
    Mukwonago, WI
    You continue to impress amaze me!

Edited by triingforsept07 2007-08-02 2:39 PM
    General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Wauconda Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed