General Discussion Race Reports! » Patanella's Lumpy Pancake Olympic Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Patanella's Lumpy Pancake Olympic Tri - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Staten Island, New York
United States
Greenbrook Racing
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 53m 24s
Overall Rank = 162/179
Age Group = Clydes
Age Group Rank = 11/12
Pre-race routine:

Bitched and moaned to wife how I'm not doing the race since I felt severely undertrained and I didn't do anything for 2 weeks! She gave me a Xanax and sent me to bed! Woke up 3:30 for 1+ hour drive to course.
Event warmup:

Met Jonah (jmk-brooklyn) and talked with Matt(tri_sport19) a bit. Swam amongst the garbage and floating debris, right before start saw 2 pretty big red jellyfish (foreshadowing)
Swim
  • 53m 52s
  • 1640 yards
  • 03m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really liked the start, basically you could start anywhere you wanted as long as you stayed behind life guard chair on beach. Many people started from beach, some were wading, I chose to find clean spot in deep water. Not a lot of banging except for 1 guy that kept zigzagging infront of me and running over me or having me run over him. It was uncanny, there was so much OW and this guy kept doing fly bys over me. I seriously contemplated just clocking him in the face, but that goes against the sportsmanship credo (However, we were in Staten Island). My 2nd biggest problem was the red jelly fish, I got stung about 5-6 times and man did that shit hurt. At one point I got stung under both arms and almost begged out I was in so much pain, but I kept swimming the whole time! The 1st biggest problem was the current, we swam 1/4 mile with it, then 1/2 mile against, before turning back with it. That 1/2 mile was the longest 1/2 mile swim I ever experienced. Everybody's swim times were high, mine was through the roof. Finally it was a nice touch that NY Harbor managed to cooperate by littering the swim course with so much garbage and debris.
What would you do differently?:

Get a tetanus shot before the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

not much to report.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 35m 37s
  • 24 miles
  • 15.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Right away my aero bottle comes loose and empties half way and then rattles the rest of the ride, rendering it useless. I took in no water during the bike. I had 1 bottle of Gatorade, luckily they were handing out bottles on the course. Lack of training for 2 weeks really showed here as I faded fast on bike, although I really enjoyed going under the bridge 3 times. That's the closest I've ever been to the bridge without actually being on it, man it is HUGE! Anyway, the 2 small hills kicked my butt. I got passed by Matt (tri_sport19) 2x, man that guy is fast. I also got passed by Jonah (jmk-brooklyn) as the Sprint course was intermingled with the Oly course. I tried focusing on cadence, but it was hard during hills. Overall, I had fun though. I especially enjoyed taking a few swigs of gatorade they were handing out and then tossing it away, a la Crit style.

Maybe add granny gears. Up hills I could only manage 50-60 RPMs (expert advice welcomed here)
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

I knew I was in trouble!
Run
  • 1h 19m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I was toast and I knew it. I did the best I could but had several walking breaks. I ran to light poles for awhile, also called on my son Lucas to carry me for awhile. People definitely thought I was crazy out there, as I would repeat things my son says to keep my mind off the torture. I couldn't believe how slow some people were running and they were passing me! As I approached the end of the first 5k loop I saw Matt and he was awesome as always offering encouragement (he was already finished taking 2nd in AG). There was a huge crowd at finishing chute and Def Leppards Pour Some Sugar on Me was blasting....would have been great to finish just then...but I had to make U-turn and do another 5k loop. 2nd loop was more of the same, although I think I actually did 2nd 5k faster and by the time I reached finishing chute the crowds were gone and I could hear RD doing the raffle.

More bricks, keep running, lighten engine.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little. Almost gagged at the sight of the post race breakfast of pancakes and sausages! Found some grapes, they were yummy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of brick training, lack of training period.

Event comments:

This was a very well run event, except for making Sprint athletes wait around for 2 hours before start. Overall, I can't really say anything negative about my peformance since I finished an Olympic distance triathlon. I stepped up in distance too soon and at times it felt like an IM to me with my struggles. All in all, I am very proud of myself!

Last updated: 2007-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:52 | 1640 yards | 03m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 149/179
Performance: Average
Suit: QRoo Sleeveless
Course: Like an upside down triangle with top cut off. 1/4 mile was with current, 1/2 mile against current, 1/4 mile with current.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:35:37 | 24 miles | 15.06 mile/hr
Overall: 158/179
Wind: None
Course: 8 mile loop(3 loops) through residential streets and through Fort Wadsworth at the foot of Verranzano Bridge and under the Bridge. Very cool. Half the course was fine, the other half was bumpy as heck. 2 small "lumps" 102 ft and 79 feet.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:19:23 | 06.21 miles | 12m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 163/179
Course: (2) 5k loops Out & back along boardwalk/beach
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-29 7:47 PM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Subject: Patanella's Lumpy Pancake Olympic Tri

2007-07-29 8:01 PM
in reply to: #905965

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Patanella's Lumpy Pancake Olympic Tri
You sucked it up, Buttercup, that's for sure. OWS against the current, jellyfish stings, mechanical issues, dehydration, heat, humidity, and hills. Way to fight through it--congrats on a TOUGH first Oly.
2007-07-29 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Rock on Tim - sounds tough but hey an oly your first season? You're a madman! - you're having a great season.... keep going it only can be better!
2007-07-30 8:03 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

nice job Tim... look at how far you have come.  The fact that you finished your 1st Oly after the training hiatus tells me just how good shape you are in.  Awesome.

Way to fight through the garbage, jellyfish, and countless other barriers to you finishing...  

2007-07-30 9:03 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
WOW! Better you than me dude!

You better be proud of your self for haulin' out there. Now you have a year to work on obliterating this year's time. Go for it.

2007-07-30 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Way to get through it! And I think I had more difficulty than you swimming and I was in a calm, bathtub warm, jellyfish-less lake (for only 500 yds). Nice job on your first Oly.

2007-07-30 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
MA
You got stung by jelly fish and still finished the race?  Holy smokes!  Congrats on a fantastic first Oly! 
2007-07-30 8:44 PM

User image

Niskayuna, NY
Great job on finishing Oly while getting STUNG by jellyfish!  Just think, you finished with a fantastic story to boot.
2007-07-31 10:08 AM
in reply to: #907538

User image

Veteran
At first the race name sounded yummy but man does that race sound rough. Swimming w/the debris never mind the jellyfish! gives me the creeps. Way to go on getting through that swim! Will be looking out for that expert advice on hill cadence-need that here, too! Way to go on doing an OLY so quickly!
2007-08-01 11:19 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Nice job Tim!! Congratulations on a tough course with a ton of obstacles thrown at you.  Way to stick it out!!

Don't go too hog wild on the training. Bring your workouts up slowly and have fun. (That is what this is all about!!) You'll be ready to finish your HIM by the end of Sept.

Great work!! Congrats again!! 

2007-08-07 8:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area
Yer a better man than I! Nasty swimming conditions and sadly, expected I would say. Awesome effort on finishing this Oly, you may not have trained just before but you've got what it takes to get it done and that's half the battle! Nice job and amusing race report!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patanella's Lumpy Pancake Olympic Tri Rss Feed