Hubcity Triathlon Club
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 03m 26s
Overall Rank = 15/195
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

up at 4am. breakfast was whole wheat bread with pb & honey and OJ. took my time getting ready at the hotel when I realized that it was still raining from the night before. weather channel confirmed that it was going to be a pretty wet morning. got to the race site at 5am or so. got a good spot in transition, right near the bike out. set up everything. talked to some people. my swim wave wasn't until 9am (had to be there by 6:30am though), so I bounced around between hanging out in my car and the poolside watching people. Had a banana about 90 minutes before, and a gel about 30 minutes before. Drank a little too much water and gu20 as I was peeing a lot.
Event warmup:

Did a one mile jog on part of the run course with a few pickups about 45 minutes before. Stretched and did some arm movements. Rain had basically stopped by the time my wave was called. Everything was soaked, but that's ok.
Swim
  • 04m 11s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

There were no swim warmups at all. They let you in 30 seconds before the wave started. You were supposed to split a lane with another racer, but I had my own lane because there was a no-show. Jumped in did 5 strokes, turned around and did a flip turn at the wall without pushing off just to make sure my depth perception was fine, it was (anyone else occasionally have issues finding the wall the first time they do a turn in a pool they haven't swum in before?). 10 seconds later we were off. Went out strong and stayed that way. Was out of the water first in my wave and I had lapped everyone else at least once. Good thing it rained out because I think I got wetter before the swim then during it ;).
What would you do differently?:

Nothing much, went hard without a warmup. Maybe consider using a swim cap as my hair is getting a little out of hand.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Plan was to keep this one as simple as possible. Had goggles off as I hopped out of the pool, ran down to transition, it was a fairly short run. Shoes on, sunglasses on, helmet on, and I was out of there. I didn't mess with a tri top. My mount on the line was a little ugly, but probably didn't cost me too much time, just rattled me for a second when I was kind of off balance.

do the shoes on the bike thing, i'll get to that eventually.
Bike
  • 34m 12s
  • 11.35 miles
  • 19.91 mile/hr
Comments:

started out a little bit rough and felt like I was struggling to maintain a lot of speed. The first bit is gradually uphill and I think my HR was a little too high. Then my breathing/hr settled down and I was able to start rolling better. Passed about 4 people from the previous wave. The last few miles had a few 'hills' that made you work pretty hard to maintain speed.

I think in the middle portion of the bike I lost a bit of my focus, but I regained it after a couple of miles.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Got to the dismount line and hopped off. about 5 steps to my rack. racked bike ok, had a little difficulty getting the 2nd brake lever over the rack. Shoes off, socks and running shoes on. grabbed my race number/belt and took off. I put the race belt on as I was running (about a minute into the course).

get shoes off before getting to the line, but haven't practiced this yet, either.
Run
  • 22m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out fairly strong. I could feel a bit of heaviness in my legs but overall it wasn't too bad. Got into a groove and started passing a few people. Once I hit the hill on the road portion of the course I could tell that I was going up and my pace dropped a bit. Hit the turn around and decided it was time to fly down that hill and I held that momentum to the finish line.

Not much. I wanted to have a better run than at my first race, and I felt like I did that, although I think I can run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, did some stretching. Cheered on some people. Got the 2nd place award in my age group (was actually 3rd but first guy was 2nd overall). Had a little bit of GI discomfort, I think I had too much fluid before the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

short swim! (just kidding). Well, I think I can do a little bit better on the bike and smooth out my transitions a little more. I think I did well on the transitions, but there are things I need to practice, like shoes on the bike, etc.

Event comments:

If these guys add chip timing next year then it'll make this more worthwhile, as it is, it seems to be very well run and it's a fun time. Great laid back atmosphere, pretty nice race venue.

Last updated: 2007-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:11 | 328 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/195
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts.
Course: Pool swim. 6 laps in a 25 meter pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:12 | 11.35 miles | 19.91 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Course headed out of the park and onto some pretty good country roads with nice shoulders. A few turns that were all manned and well marked. One out and back section through a sort of industrial complex and then finally into a residential area that had a couple of rollers and a set of railroad tracks that dropped the speeds down, and finally back into the park for a fast downhill that would have been faster except for some speed bumps.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:54 | 03.1 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Course: Several out and backs along paved park trail and paved park road. 2 aid stations and 1 and 2 mile mark. Not much of the course is flat, but the hills aren't too big. Just a gradual uphill, a gradual downhill, a gradual uphill, and then another gradual downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-31 7:30 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon

2007-08-01 10:09 AM
in reply to: #907782

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon
Nice race and way to improve. Great job on placing as well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagerstown Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed