Set-Up
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 167/199
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 9/16
Pre-race routine:

Got up at O-dark:30 to drive the 45 miles from Brevard to the race site. As I make the turn onto Hwy 276 for the last 35 miles of the trip--there is a big yellow truckers' warning sign--Next 30 miles, grades of 9% and 4500 Feet Elevation. Great!!! Got there about 6 and had plenty of time to get my packet, chip, and set up my TA.

I should also come clean--This was the least motivated I've ever been about a race. With the foot issues that I've been battling for the last 5 weeks or so, I really didn't know if I was going to just do the Aqua-bike thing or I was going to run. I probably could have slept in and not been too upset but I would have caught hell (and rightfully so) from the BT & QCTC crowds.
Event warmup:

Nothing--was not motivated at all today.
Swim
  • 28m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty good swim overall. Needed to have swam in the wetsuit this week to loosen it up and get the feel of it again. Just slack and didn't make that happen. The water really got cold when we went under the road. The temp was supposedly 65 there but it felt colder. Lake level seemed really low. I actually grounded myself on a stump at one point. It was unmarked and about 10 inches below the surface.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing--pretty good day for me
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Decent TA, nothing exciting one way or the other. The TA mats were literally at the entrance and exit so this doesn't include transit time from swim to TA. That was included as part of my swim time.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 58s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.75 mile/hr
Comments:

The first hill caught me by surprise. It was short and not really that steep but I was trying to get some gel and water on board. Caused my heart rate to really shoot up. Spent the next mile or so getting it under control. Had my chain come off halfway up hill at about mile 4. Had to stop and get it back on. Hammered the outbound course. Was cruising along most of the time at 23-25 mph. On the way back, speed dropped to more like 18mph consistently. Around mile 14, I heard something and looked down to find that my front skewer was unlocked and about halfway loosened. Quick stop to fix that. Felt great thru most of bike but died on the the last hill (about mile 23.5). This whole not pre-riding the bike course sucked. I didn't know when to push and when to conserve, so I pretty much went all out and paid for it on this last hill. As I was finishing the ride, I still hadn't decided if I was going to run. My foot wasn't hurting at all at this point.

No mechanical issues.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Good TA--no issues

nada
Run
  • 1h 10m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Horrible, miserable first half. Had no gas to run. It wasn't that I could really blame my foot today, it was just that it's been keeping me from running. As they say, fitness drops off much faster than it gets put on. That really showed today. I walked FAR more than I ran of the first 3 miles. I hooked up with Steve from Georgia about mile 2. We were pretty much on the same pace so we hung out. He really helped me get thru Miles 2-4. Around mile 5, Steve told me to go ahead. I was on-track to break 3:00:00, so I went on. Thanks again Steve! On the up-hill, my right foot didn't hurt, but my left shin did. I felt like I was compensating for my right side somehow. On the downhill, I ran more--just not as much as I would have liked. I still only lost about 6 mins from my time on the run at Over the Mtn. Could have been much worse. Finished pretty strong but had no kick left. Should have taken a gel on the run like I planned.

Take the gel. Have made the decision to run before I entered T2 today.
Post race
Warm down:

BBQ sandwich from Sagebrush with the best tasting ice tea I'd ever had. Must have been the sugar! Sat down to eat and it seemed like I knew everyone that walked by. My wife's spin instructor Wendy, my coach Sharon & her husband, Chris from BT (sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you!), plus some of the other BT Crew--Keith, Wade, & Mel. I also ran into a girl who lived in the same dorm with me back in 1993. Amazing that either of us recognized the other. Turns out she works at a private school near where my kids go to school. Small world that I would run into her at a race 3 hrs from home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ME :)

Event comments:

Nice location, enjoyed the race. No power ade or gatorade at the post race which was disappointing. No beer either :)

Oh, and to make Jeff & Dia feel better--I did suffer an injury today. Of all the freaking things, I was stuck by a bee while driving home. I put my arm down on the armrest while driving thru the Formula 1 portion of the course (hairpin corners on a 9% grade) and must have landed on a bee who chose that moment to land on my armrest. Bee stung in the car??? Nice!

Last updated: 2006-12-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:25 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 113/199
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction Long John
Course: Start standing in water (should have been floating hanging on to the dock but water level was way down). Out, across, and back on a three sided rectangle and then the final leg extended another 200 yds or so under the highway into the mouth of the river
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:15:58 | 25 miles | 19.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 145/199
Wind: Little
Course: Back up the access road, up to Canton, thru town, and back down the access road
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:10:30 | 06.21 miles | 11m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/16
Overall: 181/199
Performance: Below average
Mile 1--11:20 Mile 2--12:31 Mile 3--13:27 Mile 4--11:54 Mile 5--9:49 (hit mile 4 late thus 5 is short) Mile 6--11:27 (including the extra 0.2 miles at the end)
Course: 5k out, 5k back. Out was long slow uphill and thus the return trip was downhill
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-04 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Subject: Lake Logan

2007-08-05 7:28 PM
in reply to: #913617

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Lake Logan
Good job!  Glad the foot held up, and you didn't lose your wheel, yikes.  Get some rest, now. 
2007-08-05 7:58 PM

User image

Durham, NC
No sweat about the conversation, i was ready to sit down. Perhaps next time. Nice race by the way, I finished 11/16 in the Clydes. I will probably have a race report up soon. Cheers.
2007-08-06 7:07 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

Great job on the race!  I'm glad I had a chance to meet you in person.  It was a beautiful day and a fun race.

Mel  

2007-08-07 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Congratulations Eric! Way to push through! I know what you mean about pre-riding the course -- it makes a HUGE difference. Glad your foot wasn't bothering you though!

Sorry about the bee sting.
2007-08-13 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC

Nice job out there Eric.  You put up a smoking swim time! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Logan Rss Feed