General Discussion Race Reports! » Nutmeg State Sprint Triathlon and Relay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nutmeg State Sprint Triathlon and Relay - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Washington, Connecticut
United States
Endure Multisports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 54s
Overall Rank = 19/111
Age Group = 2/8
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Ok Woke up at the camping ground 4.30am drove to the race with my team mate. Had a powerbar and some gatorade for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Got to the race only to find out the parking was well over a mile away. Took us about 30 minutes to get unpacked and to the tranistion area. Didn't have time to jump on the bike or run. I got a 5 minute warm up swim in.
Swim
  • 15m 16s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decided I would try a new strategy today in the swim and just try to swim at my own pace and try not to push to hard and concentrate on efficency. Placed myself in the second row back and slighly to the left of centre. Got smacked around a bit at the start but nothing too bad. Slightly drifted off to the left but realigned and hit the turnaround point bang on. This is where it got interesting on the swim back in the sun was directly in my eyes couldn't see a thing. Swam for a while and thought I should be hitting the buoy soon only to hit it with my hand. In the last 2-3 hundred yards there was a guy swimming to my left, I thought he looked like he was going straight so swam next to him we were hitting each other a fair bit on the way in. Stood up at the end look at this guy and it is my team mate in my AG he came first. My actual swim time was 14.36 but there was a run up to the swim gate so official time reflects this. 14.36 is about 1.40min 100 Yds so a fairly good swim.

What would you do differently?:

Could have pushed harder but I felt great getting out of the water was hardly breathing heavy.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

This was a monster transition long run from Swim to bike. But I had the 11th fastest transition so was pretty good.

Not much maybe could have run faster from swim to bike.
Bike
  • 28m 38s
  • 9.2 miles
  • 19.28 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a tough tight course, lots of turns incluing a couple of sharp ascends and one gut buster climb which is the steepest hill I have climbed in a tri. I was in my granny gear (Third chain ring) and I still had to stand to get up there. This was my slowest average bike pace in my three tri's to date but the shortest ride so says a lot about the course.

Some of the road conditions left a lot to be desired.

I got passed by two people on the bike and passed three.

To be honest my legs were really fatigued coming of a couple of hard training weeks and I didn't taper for this race. Taper woudl have seen a faster bike time.

Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

24th fastest transition. Only thing that went wrong is my feet were wet and my orthotic got crunched so I had to adjust it in my shoes.

not get orthotic twisted.
Run
  • 23m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

This is the same pace per minute as I ran my Olympic in so time appears slow, however the course was hard it went straight up for the first 1.7miles and the a run down for remainder of the race. In the first part of the hill I saw the two guys that went past me on the bike. I had passed them both within half a mile. No one was ahead of me so just settled into a nice pace up the hill. This just went on for ever about three quarters up the hill I saw three of my team mates ahead of me coming back down the hill. I then started to pick up the pace to see if I could catch up. Saw my coach coming back up the hill (Womens wave was 5 minutes behind men wave) on my way down and she yelled to me to run faster. I picked up the pace and started sprinting I was rapidly gaining on my team mates and could see there uniforms getting closer and closer. Just ran out of time to catch one to two of them. It was great we all finished between 12th and 20th place overall so some great competition.

I was really happy with this run. My coach has been telling me I need to push through the pain barrier on the run and give it every thing. Today I did this for the first time and went really fast. I probably should have run faster in the first mile though
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stayed for prize giving and collected my priz. (Cool water bottle and lots of bike fuel)
My coach got 1st lady home overall and we had another three people in our team place.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Two things I think. 1/ It was a small race and I wasn't being challenged by anyone in my AG so perhaps on the run but mainly on the bike I didn't push myself hard enough. 2/ I was very fatigued in my legs. some kind of taper would have seen an improvement, but I just wanted to use this race as a speed session on some of the Half IM course I will be doing. Which I did.

Event comments:

While getting a podium spot in my third race is great. Gotta put this into perspective this was a small race so I am not too excited about it. This was a fun race and was part of a fun camping/training weekend with my team

Last updated: 2007-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:16 | 880 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 23/111
Performance: Good
Suit: IM Instinct Full length
Course: Lake swim out around across and back in along another set of buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:09
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:28:38 | 9.2 miles | 19.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 18/111
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: This was around Lake Warramaugh. Tough technical course with 3 climbs with a gut buster at mile 7. Roads were in really bad shape.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:05 | 03.1 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 16/111
Course: Straight up for 1.7 miles and straight down for about 1.1miles and then along a flat road to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-13 9:23 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: Nutmeg State Sprint Triathlon and Relay

2007-08-13 10:17 AM
in reply to: #923432

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Nutmeg State Sprint Triathlon and Relay

Congrats on a great race for you and your team!  Must have been a lot of fun afterwards for you all!  Looks like it was a great weekend!

Nice experience for the HIM!

2007-08-13 10:29 AM

User image

Master
CT
Jeez! You're fast all the way 'round!—even when  you are slow. Those Litchfield Hills are tough indeed!
2007-08-13 10:29 AM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT
Great job on your race!  Sounds like we need to get you into that oxygen-depletion mode on the run leg of the tri.  You're training shows you have it in you.  I wonder how you'd feel if you came out of T2 near flat out in the first mile.  I bet you'd hang on and see a jump in your run split.  If you can pick up the pace in the middle of the run like you did, you definitely have it in you!  Nice work out there!  
2007-08-13 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Sounds like a solid race.  And I'll say again, anytime you get on the podium you did really well.  You can't control who else shows up at a race, so getting on the podium at a small race or not getting on at a big race are beyond the factors you can control and you should enjoy it either way. 
2007-08-13 2:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Great race buddy. Second place is second place no matter how you hash it out. Sonds like the bike conditions could have been better but you still motored thru it as well as a great run time especially with the hill climb. Keep up the great work mate. I think for next season we need to try to meet up at a couple races between Philly and NY and take these suckers by storm!

2007-08-14 9:54 AM
in reply to: #924092

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere in your dreams
Way to go James! Regarless of how many people were there you should still be excited to get a medal!!!!
2007-08-16 6:45 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Awesome...2nd in your AG in your 3rd tri rocks!

You will be all set and ready for the HIM come Sept. Hills slow us down but they do it to everyone...nice splits! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nutmeg State Sprint Triathlon and Relay Rss Feed