Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 52s
Overall Rank = 59/617
Age Group = 39 under/Clydes
Age Group Rank = 1/24
Pre-race routine:

This is the second event in a row where I got less than 2hrs sleep the night before! I was having trouble going to sleep just from being excited and I finally conked out about 11:30pm only to have a phone call from the Sheriff's dept at 1am to inform me about a fatality that had just happened. (I was "on call" this weekend) So.....at about 2:30am I gave up trying to go back to sleep and jumped in the shower.
Ate a bowl of oatmeal and a banana.

Got to the CdA city beach at about 4:45am and walked out to the beach to check the water conditions. Water had only med. chop, so they went w/ the original swim course, which was good.
Got body marked and into transition w/ my bike at about 5:15am. Took my time setting up. I got a great rack spot right near the T1 exit.
Waited for my brother to show up and we chatted about how neither of us got enough sleep, etc. ;)
Ate a Clif bar about 45min b4 race time.
Event warmup:

Spent about 10 minutes getting stretched out. Took a slow run w/ Stan to get warmed up. Literally, warmed up! It was cold out!

We were jogging back toward the beach when I saw Jon (Captainquiche) from BT. We hadn't met yet, so that was fun getting to finally meet him. He's a speedy guy....just look at his 1/2 iron performance from last week!

Got into my wetsuit a little later than I wanted and headed for the beach. That's where I met c_cic and racinmason (more BTers). That was fun and I felt bad I couldn't talk more, but I was in a hurry to get a quick warmup swim in.

Swam about 100 yds b4 they made us get out of the water and get to the start line.
Swim
  • 28m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I took off hard on the swim to try and stay out of the crowd at the beginning. It worked! I didn't start getting knocked around until about the 300 yd mark. I was having a little trouble w/ my goggles being fogged, but my navigation seemed to be fine. I was swimming a much straighter line in the water than I have previously. The 1st turn buoy was pretty funny! People were pulling on legs/arms, pushing heads under, etc. Let's just say I'm glad I'm a big guy when it comes to rounding buoys! ;) Things thinned out considerably between the 1st & 2nd buoy. Most people looked to have swung out and taken a wide line. I was happy to see I was dead on the markers and made up some time here. Another fight commenced at the 2nd turn buoy! he, he, big guys rock! I got my arm stuck in the rope holding the buoy briefly. That wasn't cool! Made the turn and headed right into the sun. Had a cramp start in my left calf after the fight at buoy 2. Hard to see, so I just followed the crowd to the finish line.
Came out of the water and checked my watch. Saw 28 min. & something so I was happy!
What would you do differently?:

I know I've only been swimming for 8 months now, but I'd really like to be faster at this. Patience John, patience.

I learned a lot during this swim and I am pretty happy w/ it!
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

Calves were cramping a little when I came out of the water. You have to climb some stairs coming off the beach and that didn't help the calves.
Wetsuit got stuck a bit trying to get it off my ankles, but not too bad.

Overall T1 was really good. Wouldn't change much.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 26s
  • 23.61 miles
  • 21.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really cold when I got on the bike. Temps were still in the low 50's. Felt like I got up to speed pretty quickly and settled in. Quite a few turns going out of CdA in the first few miles and it was a little crowded at first. Got out on Lake Dr. and set down a good 23-26mph pace and started reeling in the fast swimmers. ;) I was looking for Stan after the first turnaround but I still hadn't seen him when I headed up the long climb on Yellowstone Rd. I was pretty concerned about that and thought maybe I'd just missed him. Found out later he flatted b4 leaving T1. OUCH!
Stood into my pedals to start into the long climb and my calves promptly cramped! Hmmmm.....guess I'll just sit back and spin up the hill. The cold temps were not helping here! Worked out OK because it kept me from blowing my legs up b4 the run. This is a brutal hill climb that gets really steep in the last 1/4 mile before the top. I got passed by 3 guys on this 2-3 mile hill and I passed about 30 riders. Once on top I started trying to make some time but then it's right back into some brutal rollers for a few more miles. But hey, what goes up get to come back down! I hit 48.6 mph for my max speed coming back down to Lake Dr. That's scary fun!
Headed back into town and kept knocking off the fast swimmers at a pretty good pace. Got passed like a dirty shirt by some freak on a P3 carbon. WOW! he was smokin fast.
I was #288 out of the water and #74 OA after the bike. That means I passed 148 riders out there! GRRR!

Not cramp on the hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Came flying into T2 w/ my feet on top of my shoes and did a flying dismount at the line only to have one of my shoes fall off a pedal. I was sprinting toward the racks when everyone started hollering at me. "you dropped a shoe, you lost a shoe!@" So.....I had to turn around and run back and pick up my shoe. It probably only cost me about 15-20 seconds, but it was frustrating.

UHH...don't drop my shoe?
Run
  • 45m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out slow, cause my legs were pretty crampy. I'm not sure but I think if it had been a warmer morning this wouldn't have been such an issue today. I reached for some endurolytes in my pocket and found that they had dissolved from my sweat! Nice! Got some powder on my fingers and licked it off.
At mile 1.5 my left ham locked up bad. I slowed down and reached back and rubbed it out for a minute w/out stopping. It seemed to help and gradually picked the pace back up and it didn't bother me again.
I ran pretty conservative until the turnaround and then I picked it up considerably on the way back into town. Saw Stan on my way back in and he hollered something about having a flat. I was thinking, "you had a flat, and your already to mile 2 of the run?", Holy Cow, he must be flying! PR for Flyboy comin' up!
At mile 4.5 I noticed what felt like a rock under my left arch in my shoe. It was creating a serious blister, but I was running strong and I wasn't about to stop and take care of it right then. So, I gritted out the blister thing and kept running hard. I felt really strong coming into the finish line and was really happy to have crushed my goal time.

Not cramp!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bottle of water and nursed my blister. ;)

Walked back down the crowd of people a ways and waited for Stan to come in. When he came around the corner he looked really good and strong. Gave him a high five on his way by. He crushed his goal time by a long ways!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to swim, bike and run faster.

Oh yeah, maybe sleep before my next race! ;)

This was only my 2nd triathlon (first oly) and I won my division! So I'm very happy w/ this race! Can't wait to see what next years races bring!!?!!?

Event comments:

Great race! Should be a USAT sanctioned event. There were a total of about 1200 athletes that competed today.
I would bet this event becomes sanctioned in the next year or two.

Last updated: 2007-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:25 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/24
Overall: 222/617
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro2
Course: Triangle swim. One loop in Lake Coeur D'Alene.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:04:26 | 23.61 miles | 21.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/24
Overall: 59/617
Wind: Little
Course: Very challenging course w/ lots of hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:45:20 | 06.21 miles | 07m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/24
Overall: 106/617
Course: Out & back course fairly flat w/ just a few minor uphills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-13 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: Coeur d'Alene Triathlon

2007-08-13 10:52 AM
in reply to: #923541

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Coeur d'Alene Triathlon

Wow! You are fast! Glad you were able to hold it together on the run after such a fast bike leg. I am glad we are not racing in the same division.

Just to let you know there were lots of people loosing their shoes at T2. I was really surprised to see how many people had problems there.

Again, awesome race!

2007-08-13 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Very good race , even with cramps happening.
2007-08-13 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

I know the fast guys, I know the fast guys...  (sung in that annoying little 'nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah' tune that kids use...Smile  It was great to meet you out there!  And fun to cheer you as you were roaring out of the water.

Wow, great race!  And on 2 hours sleep no less...whew.  What a great bike and run, sorry about the blister and the cramps.  And the swim, wow, did I read that right that you've only been swimming for 8 months?  Congrats on crushing that course! 

2007-08-13 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

Great job!!! Wow!! Only 8 months of swimming - you rock!! Now I know there's hope for me - I've only got 2 1/2 months of swimming under my swim cap.  

Way to go!

2007-08-13 6:35 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

2nd tri and you win your division...I guess you did ok.  

Congrats on an awesome race and some bling to go with it!!  

2007-08-13 8:09 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Wow, first OLY and you get 1st?  That's not fair.  Congrats on a great race.  For all the issues it seems you had on the run, that was a smoking time.

Congrats

2007-08-13 8:13 PM

User image

Spokane

Hey Hey,

Great race!!!  It was fun to meet you even if just for a minute, we had lots of time to talk but you had a race to do and you really made good time out there.  Swimming for 8 months?  Wow!  Way to go!

2007-08-14 5:28 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Ow blister!!! Huge strength ignoring it...

Congratulations on the hardware  

2007-08-15 3:50 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, CT

Awesome race!  You tore up the Bike and run course.  Nice job on getting first in your age group too.

You're a Clydesdale and can run a 19:09 5K?  Now that's impressive!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Coeur d'Alene Triathlon Rss Feed