Camp Pendleton Races
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 23s
Overall Rank = 167/683
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/69
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and ate two scrambled eggs and two pieces of wheat toast with sunflower seed butter and a glass of OJ. Packed up everything in the car and took off. On the way down I sipped Cytomax and ate a Luna bar. I got to the base and luckily I saw a Ladera Cyclery (where I just bought my bike) in front of me. I was going to turn where the Oly was last month but when he went straight I followed him. Lucky I did as the race site was totally diffferent. I had no idea. It was kind of a bummer because there were about 7 of us out here that were doing the race and we were going to meet up. I told everyone that the announcers tent was right next to transition so that was the spot. Unfortunately it couldn't have been farther from the truth. The transition was probably about a 1/2 mile away and down a long grade. When 7:15 rolled around I had run up the grade to try and see if anyone else was up there, but sure enough there were none. I feel/felt pretty bad about it.
Event warmup:

Had my wetsuit on and was listening to the pre-race announcements when I saw a guy in an orange tri top. I took a chance and went up to him and sure enough it was Dave699. We walked to the ocean and talked for a while and then I took off to jump in the water. I swam a bit and ducked some waves and went back in to watch the wave before me go out. I was surprised that more people don't duck waves. It seemed like they were trying to go over and a couple of people got worked. Live and learn.
Swim
  • 10m 16s
  • 457 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

Stood at the starting line and listened to a couple of guys betting each other and making all these pacts. It was pretty funny. The gun went off and they sprinted like no other to get in the water. I was still laughing. High stepped into the water and then started duck diving under everything. I got out past the waves in no time and then worked on getting to the first buoy. I started a bit more south than some and I think the current helped push me toward the buoy but I rounded it about 10 feet to the south. I think it affected my line for the rest of the race as I wasn't passing the buoys very closely, so I probably added unnecesary distance. I also wasn't used to the ocean swim. I gulped a bit of water down and the rolling was interesting. I tried to catch one set wave in but it broke before it got to me and the white water didn't pull me along. That was the only decent wave I had a chance to catch. I ran out of the water and then up the sand about 200-250 yards to the transition.
What would you do differently?:

Swim a bit closer to the buoys and perhaps catch a wave to make things easier.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Because the transitions are lumped in with the bike and I forgot to hit the lap button on my watch I'm going to slightly fudge the number. I did the Oly last month and I had pretty much the same performance so I'll use those numbers for comparison purposes. Nothing happend to slow me up so I thought I did well.

Hit my lap button.
Bike
  • 53m 23s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 20.95 mile/hr
Comments:

This was only the fourth time on the bike and I really wanted to give it a go. It felt really good to get out there and start hammering and I think I did well. I did not get passed until about three quarters of the way through. For me that's really good. I usually jump on the bike and people start flying by. I was pretty happy. I'd say in all maybe 15 people in total passed me and at the end I caught a couple of them. Everything went well except I could use some more power on the hills. I ride hills all the time so I think it might have had to do with the fact that I pushed 20 miles the day before the race. Who knows, I'm still happy with it.

Not train the day before.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Same as above. I'm using the last race's time, but again I did the exact same thing.

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

This is definitely my week spot. I'm not really sure what I need to do to get faster. I started fast as I wanted to really go this race but after about 10 minutes I started to really feel it. I think not knowing where I was on the course was also kind of a bummer as I couldn't really "time" things. It's always disheartening when people just fly by you like your walking and their sprinting. I'm missing something, but again the pace is pretty good for me. My fastest 5k is in the 23 minute area so this isn't that far off. Back to the drawing board on it.

Learn how to run with the wind......
Post race
Warm down:

The wife and kid showed up during the race so the kids ran along the side of the course as I finished so I gave them some hugs until mom rolled up. I then went and got some gatorade and some oranges. I saw Dave699 again and the guy who sold me the bike. Dave beat me by about 3 minutes and I beat the guy from the bike shop by 3 minutes. Not bad, since he told me he was going to kick my ass since I beat him in the Oly. He figured if I didn't have the swim to get a lead on him he'd hammer on the bike. Ooops, perhaps he shouldn't have sold me the bike....he he.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This day was supposed to be a glorified training day, so I just raced as fast as I could and had fun. I didn't taper and worked out fairly hard the two days prior, so I'm happy with it!

Event comments:

I like the races at Camp Pendleton. They are well organized because the military does all of the volunteering. They could use some more drink stations and I think mile markers on at least the run would be helpful. There's also not to much to do afterwards, but I think that's because it's on the base. A good race though.

Last updated: 2007-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:16 | 457 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/69
Overall: 0/683
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Suit
Course: It was a rectangle course. It started south of the exit. Swim out and then north and then come in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:23 | 18.64 miles | 20.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/69
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:09 | 03.11 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/69
Performance: Average
Course: A point to point that started up a long incline and then zig zagged around the base. There were no mile markers so that sucked a bit as I kept thinking that I was getting close to turning back and then they would send me off in another direction
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-14 12:51 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Camp Pendleton Sprint Tri

2007-08-14 1:00 AM
in reply to: #924757

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Camp Pendleton Sprint Tri
So sorry we missed you! What a fun day huh? I just filled out my race report. The announcer's booth was really far from the start and when I ventured back up to the car to get my sunglasses there wasn't anyone there either. We did meet Buck (JAW IV) at the start of the swim - recognized him from his picture. Looks like you had a really good race. Congratulations!
2007-08-14 1:50 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-08-14 11:51 AM

Pro
AZ

Good job Jeff!! You really smoked the bike, and had a fast run! Not sure what you are complaining about! :-)  Swimming in the ocean has to be interesting!!! Sounds like it was a fun race and that you enjoyed it!

2007-08-14 11:54 AM

Regular
Spokane, WA
Great job! Nice bike split! If you are only off by one minute on the run after a hard bike leg I would not be disappointed.

Question: Do you do any track work? It’s a good way to pick up some speed.

2007-08-14 2:14 PM

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
20+ on the bike and sub-8 on the run is pretty damn good in my book. Great race!

2007-08-14 3:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
Dude, awesome race! You should take a look back at your logs from a year or so ago to remind you how far you've come. You are looking STRONG! Awesome race report.
2007-08-14 5:19 PM
in reply to: #925868

Expert

freckle face - 2007-08-14 1:55 PM Dude, awesome race! You should take a look back at your logs from a year or so ago to remind you how far you've come. You are looking STRONG! Awesome race report.

Touche! I just looked back and the same bike ride I just did over to my brothers house was 4/mph slower, my swims were unorganized and I barely ran. I'll be quiet now. Thanks for putting it in perspective.

2007-08-15 12:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Way to go!  I'm glad you got to race your new bike, how fun.  Now about your run splits, I think your way fast.  I know there are those super humans who fly past but we can't compare ourselves to them.  Besides, my fastest 5k is 23:35 so don't slam it! Kidding.  You did a great job.  Now only if your work could be so smooth and solid.
2007-08-15 3:50 PM

Master
San Francisco
sounds like you had a nice race/training day!  You were quite speedy on the bike and interestingly based on your rankings, you were even faster, relatively speaking, on your swim!  Tighten up the run a little and you're money
2007-08-16 10:36 AM

Expert
lake forest, California
Great job in this race! Very solid performance and with some ocean swim practice you'll feel much more comfortable swimming in rollers-

2007-08-16 8:47 PM

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Wow, Speedy!  I am so glad you had the new bike for the race.  Great bike split and, ummm... I'd be happy to take that run time off your hands if you'd like.  Ocean swims make me askeered .  Congratulations on your "glorified training day" success!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp Pendleton Sprint Tri Rss Feed